sharetrader
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Snoopy
    I'm now working for a brokerage type firm and this is my first issue to work on. We consider Turners are looking good at the moment and the duration risk of the bonds is low but yes liquidity risk will exist for divestment
    A very useful yield however and I concur that one of the advantages of this issue is the convertability and the discount achieved from that either 5% or could be more if share price exceeds 3.75 so there is a bit of upside as well.
    Hit me up if anyone wants some (hope this doesn't breach any rules - probably does oops)
    Too late to get some at par ? Sorry, couldn't resist
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Now in effect the bonds are being reincarnated as TNRHB, but with a much lower 6.5% interest rate.
    I got a miserable single sheet introducing me to the TNRHB bonds when I signed up. But now I find the full bond prospectus is on line.

http://www.turnerslimited.co.nz/site...%202016%20.pdf

I don't remember being pointed to this at the time. So I think it is only fair that all TNRHB bond investors should know about it.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 28-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

percy

The code for Turners bonds is now TRAHB.

I got a miserable single sheet introducing me to the TNRHB bonds when I signed up. But now I find the full bond prospectus is on line.

http://www.turnerslimited.co.nz/site...%202016%20.pdf

I don't remember being pointed to this at the time. So I think it is only fair that all TNRHB bond investors should know about it.

SNOOPY
    Thanks Snoopy.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenants: Introduction

TNRHB (issue)
    Interest Cover (EBITDA to Total Interest) 3.0 times
    Interest Cover (Dorchester Finance Limited, Oxford Finance Limited) 1.25 times
    Maximum Leverage Ratio (Gross Debt to EBITDA) 2.5
    Equity Ratio (Dorchester Finance Limited, Oxford Finance Limited) 20%
    Maximum CAPEX as a percentage of base case 110%

I should note that these covenants can be subject to amendment after the bonds are issued, and are not 'set in stone' for the life of the bonds. But I make the following observations.
    What were TNRHB bonds have now been renamed TRAHB bonds. It is just a name change to reflect the change in name of the parent company. A couple of years back, I made a 'not too persuasive' analysis on how the then 'Turners Limited' (now 'Turners Automotive Group') was doing in sticking to their bond covenants. Now I intend to make a better attempt.

I have a problem running these covenant checks. The covenants are clear. But the 'segment reporting' in the annual report may not correspond exactly to the two 'bond prospectus' groupings of:

1/ Non-finance Covenant Group &
    2/ Bank Borrower Finance Companies

as listed on page 16 of the bond prospectus (the prospectus that I have previously referenced in post 12). I have assumed that all of the 'bank borrower finance companies' are listed under the 'finance' segment, while 'Automotive Retail', 'Collection Services NZ', 'Collection Services Aus' and 'Insurance' are all lumped into the 'Non-finance Covenant Group'. But I can't be sure of that. Subsidiary 'Southern Finance' was not specifically mentioned as being part of the 'finance' segment as an example.

Next, for covenant calculation purposes, I have to decide how to allocate the corporate head office costs across divisions. There is every reason to suggest the more revenue a division generates, then the more attention that division will require from management. So this is my preferred method of allocating head office costs across the other divisions. This, however, is a 'rule of thumb' that I cannot be assured accurately reflects the real allocation of head office time and resources.

The next problem is working out what the EBITDA figure is for each of the two categories. The company annual interest bill is shared amongst all the divisions of the company. But how is it split up? I have split the interest between segments in proportion to the disclosed liabilities of that segment. The proportion of segment liabilities in relation to the total liabilities determines how the liabilities and hence how the 'interest due for payment' is spread out. To me this seems logical. However, there is no obligation on the company to spread their total interest expense obligations across divisions in this way.

I am discussing this because I would like readers to see there are quite a few assumptions behind an analysis such as this. And therefore quite a few ways that the answers I am deriving can go wrong. Yet this is the fairest way I can think of to make use of the 'segment information' as presented in the annual report for the 'Turners Automotive Group'. So let's get going.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 08-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenant 1: Interest Cover

So let's get going.
    The standard we are looking for here ( p13 bond prospectus ) is:

1/ EBITDA/I > 1.25 ( Bank Borrower Finance Companies: Dorchester Finance Limited and Oxford Finance)
    2/ EBITDA/I > 3.00 ( Non-finance Covenant Group )

FY2016 EBIT DA EBITDA I EBITDA/I Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $14.619m $0.173m $14.792m $4.770m 3.1 >1.25, pass
    All Other Segments $18.368m $1.971m $20.339m $6.666m 2.8 <3.00, fail
    Total $32.987m $2.144m $35.131m $11.436m

FY2017 EBIT DA EBITDA I EBITDA/I Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $13.744m $0.329m $14.073m $3.719m 3.8 >1.25, pass
    All Other Segments $22.237m $2.534m $24.771m $7.361m 3.3 >3.00, pass
    Total $35.981m $2.863m $38.844m $11.350m

Eagle eyed bond holders will see that the bonds were issued in August 2016, while FY2016 finished in March 2016. Technically you can't fail a test before the bond is issued. But these TNRHB bonds effectively replaced the TNRHA bonds which had similar covenants. So I think the FY2016 figures are useful for comparative purposes. The 'close fail' of the 'All Other Segments' statistic over FY2016 could have been fixed by allocating more head office costs to the finance division, as an example. Alternatively, because these covenants are subject to renegotiation, TNR could have gained a temporary exemption from their banking syndicate. In any event, nothing was publicised on the subject of TNR/TRA breaking their interest cover covenant at the time. So it must have all worked out

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenant 2: Leverage Ratio

So let's get going.
    p13 of the bond prospectus lists the 'leverage ratio' as being the ratio of:

Gross Debt / EBITDA < 2.5

but only in relation to the 'Non Finance Covenant Group'. There appears to be no leverage ratio requirement on the 'Finance' group side of the business. This strikes me as being very odd. I would have thought that the leverage ratio of the finance side of the business would be far more important than the non-finance side. But I will go with it.

Please note that the segmented Gross Debt and EBITDA figures have been adjusted to allow for an appropriate proportion of head office costs.

FY2016 Gross Debt {A} EBITDA {B} 'Gross Debt'/EBITDA {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $119.107m $14.792m 8.05 Test not required
    All Other Segments $232.491m-$119.107m=$113.384m $20.339m 5.57 >2.50, fail
    Total $232.491m $35.131m

FY2017 Gross Debt {A} EBITDA {B} 'Gross Debt'/EBITDA {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $158.647m $14.073m 11.3 Test not required
    All Other Segments $384.917m-$158.647m=$226.270m $24.771m 9.13 >2.50, fail
    Total $384.917m $35.131m

Generally test results as far out as these two, would suggest I have made a mistake. However, as yet I can't find it. The only thing that is indisputable is that comparing 'like with like' statistics, TRA had a lot more leverage on the balance sheet at EOFY2017 when compared to a year earlier.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenant 3: Equity Ratio

So let's get going.
    The 'equity ratio' is defined as: (Net worth) / (Total assets)

I am going to assume that 'Net Worth' is equivalent to 'Divisional Shareholder Funds' in this instance.

Once again this statistic is to be applied to the 'Non-Finance Covenant Group'. One again I find this very odd. I would have thought the equity ratio was far more important to the finance side of the business. Further muddying the water is that the standard listed is a minimum of 20% that should be applied to 'Dorchester Finance' and 'Oxford Finance', both of which definitely are finance arms! I don't think this bit of the bond prospectus, as written, even makes sense as it is obviously contradictory. But I shall 'battle on' and see what numbers come out.

Please note that the 'Shareholders Funds' figures have been adjusted to allow for an appropriate proportion of head office costs.

FY2016 Net Worth (Shareholders Funds) {A} Total Assets {B} 'Net Worth'/'Total Assets' {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $63.869m $182.975m 34.9% >20%, Pass
    All Other Segments $129.612m-$63.869m=$65.943m $362.303m-$182.975m=$179.328m 36.8% >20%, Pass
    Total $129.612m $362.303m

FY2017 Net Worth (Shareholders Funds) {A} Total Assets {B} 'Net Worth'/'Total Assets' {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $54.431m $213.078m 25.5% >20%, Pass
    All Other Segments $171.716m-$54.431m=$117.285m $556.633m-$213.078m=$343.555m 34.1% >20%, Pass
    Total $171.716m $556.633m

Conclusion? The finance arm is a lot more leveraged than last year. But it is still well within the bounds determined by the banks. So there is nothing for bondholders to worry about here.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenant 4: Actual Capital Expenditure vs Base Case

So let's get going.
    "In each year , in relation to the 'Non-Finance Covenant Group', capital expenditure is to be no more than 110% of the base case as set out in the annual budget provided to the bank."

In essence this looks like a 'no surprises' policy. This is almost impossible to verify though, as we mere shareholders/bondholders have not been briefed on the TRA annual budget. I imagine that if TRA wanted to spend more than their 110% of budgeted capex, a meeting with the bank manager outlining in detail their revised business plan could be negotiated.

On p63 of AR2016 we learn:

"The Group does not currently have any approved capital expenditure commitments at reporting date (2015: nil)."

According to my maths, 110% of 0 is 0. So it follows that Turners must have sought bank approval for the acquisition of 'Buy Right Cars' and 'Autosure' during FY2017. That is hardly surprising, and brings to an end my analysis of this covenant.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-09-2017 at 10:32 AM.

On the doghouse

Default TRAHB Bond Covenant 2: Leverage Ratio (further discussion)

p13 of the bond prospectus lists the 'leverage ratio' as being the ratio of:

Gross Debt / EBITDA < 2.5

but only in relation to the 'Non Finance Covenant Group'. There appears to be no leverage ratio requirement on the 'Finance' group side of the business. This strikes me as being very odd. I would have thought that the leverage ratio of the finance side of the business would be far more important than the non-finance side. But I will go with it.

Please note that the segmented Gross Debt and EBITDA figures have been adjusted to allow for an appropriate proportion of head office costs.

FY2016 Gross Debt {A} EBITDA {B} 'Gross Debt'/EBITDA {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $119.107m $14.792m 8.05 Test not required
    All Other Segments $232.491m-$119.107m=$113.384m $20.339m 5.57 >2.50, fail
    Total $232.491m $35.131m

FY2017 Gross Debt {A} EBITDA {B} 'Gross Debt'/EBITDA {A}/{B} Pass Test?
    Finance Segment $158.647m $14.073m 11.3 Test not required
    All Other Segments $384.917m-$158.647m=$226.270m $24.771m 9.13 >2.50, fail
    Total $384.917m $35.131m

Generally test results as far out as these two, would suggest I have made a mistake. However, as yet I can't find it. The only thing that is indisputable is that comparing 'like with like' statistics, TRA had a lot more leverage on the balance sheet at EOFY2017 when compared to a year earlier.
    I guess if anyone is still reading this thread, they might think that I am travelling down a black hole of mindless detail. But actually these covenants have a bearing on whether we bondholders will get our investment capital back at all, should something go 'slightly wrong'. You can bet that if the bank doesn't get all of their capital back in times of distress, then we bondholders will get nothing. So as far as our bond investment is concerned, this discussion is a life or death exercise.

I am going to re-run some of these numbers based on the actual numbers listed in the segmented analysis, section 6, of AR2017. This removes all my 'reallocation of costs' assumptions that I have used in this analysis so far. To allow the best possible chance of 'covenant success' we want the numerator, in this case the 'Gross Debt' to be as low as possible and the denominator, in this case EBITDA, to be as high as possible. The 'Gross Debt' can be found from the divisional liabilities and can be summed up as follows:

Non Finance Group Liabilities FY2017 Liabilities FY2016
    Automotive Retail $103.821m $62.625m
    Collection Services NZ $9.246m $13.991m
    Collection Services Aus $0.890m $1.346m
    Insurance $66.503m $27.110m
    Corporate and Other $79.169m $50.668m
    'Gross Debt' Total $259.629m $155.740m

The average gross debt across the financial year is therefore:

$259.629m + $155.740m = $207.685m

Non Finance Group EBT FY2017 DA FY2017 I FY2017 EBITDA FY2017
    Automotive Retail $15.397m ($2.286m)
    Collection Services NZ $6.006m ($0.092m)
    Collection Services Aus $0.239m $0m
    Insurance $0.928m ($0.091m)
    Corporate and Other ($8.095m) ($0.065m)
    Total $14.475m ($2.534m) ($11.350m) $28.359m

Note that i have maximised EBITDA by assuming that the whole company interest bill is paid by the 'Non Finance Group', which IMO is an assumption unlikely to be true.

Now we have the numerator and denominator, we can work out the fraction:

(Gross Debt) / EBITDA = $207.685m / $28.359m = 7.3 > 2.5 (fail)

Because Autosure was not bought until the last day of the financial year, we could assume that the gross debt increase as a result of that purchase was unrepresentative. Assuming gross debt for insurance did not change during the year gives us a lower average gross debt figure of $187.988m.

(Gross Debt) / EBITDA = $187.988m / $28.359m = 6.6 > 2.5 (fail)

Try as I might, and making all sorts of favourable assumptions, I cannot get anywhere near a pass mark on this covenant. I am forced to conclude that our bond capital is at significant risk should trading events not pan out as planned.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.