sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie guidance

I'm quite new to share investing (well I started investing about 18 months ago). Basically I had an inheritance of a similar amount to you that I wanted to earn a bit of money off rather than stick it in the bank. And it makes my life a bit more interesting I got some advice from a savvy share investor and put the bulk of my funds in HBL (80%) and I certainly havent regretted it - it's a steady as she goes share and the dividend is better than the bank. Also a couple of other small amounts in good dividend bearing stocks. I tried to read Benjamin Graham's book (yawn - I might still have the book in a box somewhere if you want it) and I try really hard to make sense of annual reports and read the fine print but frankly I'm not that good at it. So 15% of my portfolio I guess you could call punt stocks. I've lost some money along the way but learnt to ditch quickly before it goes too far south (IQE eek). I've regretted not getting into some stocks as I didnt know enough (ATM... if only I'd bought at $1.80) I really should do a course but likely I'll pull out everything later this year when I build a new house.

I use ANZ. Took about 3 to 4 weeks to get set up after providing my life story to them even though I have banked with them for 30 odd years.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    I really should do a course but likely I'll pull out everything later this year when I build a new house.

You are literally playing with fire especially with 80% of your money in HBL. It is not common but not improbable either that HBL could be 80 cents in a few months time. It could also be $2.50. Personally I think its a good stock. However if the money needs to be taken out of the market in (less than 10 years) it should not be in the market in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    You are literally playing with fire especially with 80% of your money in HBL. It is not common but not improbable either that HBL could be 80 cents in a few months time. It could also be $2.50. Personally I think its a good stock. However if the money needs to be taken out of the market in (less than 10 years) it should not be in the market in the first place.
    I've always been a bit crazy and I got that from my mum! To be honest I hear what you are saying and respect it but I'm happy to ride with it for now. At the end of the day I always bought into HBL for dividends and have had a long term view of the market ups and downs. Needing the money out later this year or next,does change that view though. At the first sign of trouble I'll be out as I'm watching every day.

percy

I've always been a bit crazy and I got that from my mum! To be honest I hear what you are saying and respect it but I'm happy to ride with it for now. At the end of the day I always bought into HBL for dividends and have had a long term view of the market ups and downs. Needing the money out later this year or next,does change that view though. At the first sign of trouble I'll be out as I'm watching every day.
    Pity you did not go 100% with HBL...................lol.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Pity you did not go 100% with HBL...................lol.
    I remain "well positioned" Percy.....

percy

I remain "well positioned" Percy.....
    You have made my day.!!!..lol.