sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Company selection strategy

I'd be interested to know what sort of strategies people on here use to whittle down the companies on the NZX and ASX to a smaller group which are worth further in-depth analysis? Do you have a clear systematic approach, or are you like me and just trundle through the masses until discovering something which looks decent?

this forum and others are a great place to get a list of companies worth looking at ....as many on here have done many hours of study can save you much more time that just going through hundreds of companies yourself...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    this forum and others are a great place to get a list of companies worth looking at ....as many on here have done many hours of study can save you much more time that just going through hundreds of companies yourself...
    I do this for any company I'm interested in, but even then it still involves a fair bit of forum trundling! What I'm interested in are some hard and fast rules for identifying companies worth a further look, eg NTA/share over current share price, average or below average PE

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    I do this for any company I'm interested in, but even then it still involves a fair bit of forum trundling! What I'm interested in are some hard and fast rules for identifying companies worth a further look, eg NTA/share over current share price, average or below average PE
    Hi helsenberg, Try searching on here for books that have been recommended .There are many that have been written that would help you .
    Try- William J O'Neil "How to make money in stocks"

Cheers S/L

Default Html

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Hi helsenberg, Try searching on here for books that have been recommended .There are many that have been written that would help you .
    Try- William J O'Neil "How to make money in stocks"
    Cheers S/L. Interesting read on O'Neils CANSLIM system vs others around that day and age

http://www.thebull.asia/premium/a/18...ally-work.html

And also Zweig's system

http://www.businessinsider.com/marti...t-work-2011-7/
    Last edited by heisenberg; 05-05-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added

There aren't that many companies on the NZX, you can just look through all in not that long. If you want to whittle them, look for ones that pay dividends and check them out. Or order them by value (ascending order) and go through the penny shares until you find one that might be a multi bagger.

Also, often shares that are doing well don't get discussed on the forum - just quiet happy holders.

Also, try reading through share lists based on industry types that interest you (healthcare, REITs, retail - whatever floats your boat).

As a follow up to this post, I eventually found an excel spreadsheet by 'NZ Share Guru' which allows you to enter a company's financial info/data and it screens it against the criteria of well known American investors (Ben Graham, David Zweig, Joseph Piotroski etc). Worked a treat so far. If anyone would like info on the spreadsheet feel free to send me a msg

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    As a follow up to this post, I eventually found an excel spreadsheet by 'NZ Share Guru' which allows you to enter a company's financial info/data and it screens it against the criteria of well known American investors (Ben Graham, David Zweig, Joseph Piotroski etc). Worked a treat so far. If anyone would like info on the spreadsheet feel free to send me a msg
    Sounds great. Please msg me. Thanks.

Last edited by Valuegrowth; 13-09-2016 at 05:59 PM.

I'd be really interested to take a look at the spreadsheet. I found NZ Share Guru's Facebook page but it seems there's no-one home there anymore. Please let me know how to get hold of it.