sharetrader
Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Default 2017 yearly stock picking competition

before we start listing our picks, it might be wise to have a little think about the rules and see if they need tweaking to improve them.

these are the rules that we are currently using.
    it is possible that everyone will be happy to carry on with these rules as they are.

1 - no stocks under 1c will be accepted.
    2 - Dividends will be added to return.
    3 - 5 stock picks only.
    4 - no options etc.
    5 - each stock pick will have a weighting of $10,000 (20% of portfolio)... ($50,000 in total for portfolio)...
    so performance can be posted in percentage returns, and/or $ returns.
    6 - entries close at midnight sunday 15th January 2017…
    7 - entry price is the first-traded price from the day following you posting your selections for late comers or the first traded price on the first trading day of the year.
    8 - if one of your picks hasn’t listed or is in suspension at the start of year we will just take the first traded price on the day that it lists or comes out of suspension.
    9 - takeovers will result in a new pick to the contestant, at the adjusted rate.

Guru

Points arising from 2016 I or others have noted:

just before the competition start i noted that several people had picks less than 1 cent against rule 1. no changes were made
    so i guess these stood. i noted then and repeat now this is a problem.
    if those choosing this option are allowed then they have a numerical advantage. if left at zero % as those picking shares easily get to -100%.
    loose the lot. i noted that with rule 1 being an invalid pick the values be at -100%.
    But allowing them to continue in the competition because there is still a chance of winning with the other shares.
    i note others have won with some shares in the negative.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Do you think this year we could also run a SHORT competition in a separate thread. Could be interesting?
    1 way of doing this might be to lump them in with the existing competition with the greatest change in price being considered.
    with shorting, it needs to be designated as a short at the start of the year and zero is the minimum.
    if the shorted company goes out the back door then zero for price.
    a snag with this however could be that they can go up infinitely but can only go down to zero.
    it may or may not be a good idea to lump them in.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

if a share end should there be be an option to pick another of a much greater or much lesser value? this happened this year.
    if a high value share ends then 100 lower value share may be bought to the same money. though this means 100 times the profit OR 100 times the loss.

include an option to transfer to cash then buy back again but for a fixed sum, say $30 or charge of % of value per transaction.
    that is in october i may want to convert to cash and stay ther for the rest of the year [for some reason].
    or i may want to sit out may, june and part of july, [for some reason] but i MUST return to the same share.

How about we do something similar to the 2015 NZ comp and have prizes every qtr or half yearly or even just the end of the year.
    A nice bottle of wine or spirits maybe.Im happy to donate a bottle or whatever we come up with.Be great to encourage more to enter this year too ;
    something like 3 times as many on the nzx comp.. What do you reckon?

Right don't really get the qtr prize idea ....as it's always been a yearly comp ?
    ....I do like the idea of donating prize for say the top10 be good if everyone put something in
    ...but might not be that many that keen even if it's just $5 etc
    ...could make it those that donate will be up to win in the top10

it needs to be simple and this seems to me to be the best idea so far.
    Josuatrees idea of giving 7th place a prize also is a good idea - it adds a bit of extra fun to it.
    having prizes every quarter is a bit much in my opinion. if it is simple then it is more likely to work.
    this does not need to be organised at the start of the year but the earlier the better.

feel free to comment and either ditch the idea or refine it. it needs a degree of security.
    if everyone donates about $5, it would make for a very good prize at the end of the year.
    gift vouchers could be the best way of distributing prizes. set up a bank acct of some sort, have some sort of audit trail
    and someone buys the gift vouchers and posts those to the lucky winners.
    bottles of wine are hard to post. the gift vouchers could be chosen by the winners.

The prizegiving idea works ok. Rather than have bottles of wine floating around the countryside a simple bank transfer seemed to work ok.
    Only problem, if you can call it that , is the front runner may be a bit hard to bowl in the latter stages resulting in one person getting
    all the goodies if it is quarterly. Perhaps a rule where a previous winner in the year to hand cannot get another prize and it would go to second
    or third as the case may be. Just a few thoughts on it.

That person has to still be a member at the end and to have contributed to the threads; thats what its all about after all.

these and other thoughts:
    Be aware of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    that not forbidden is mandatory.
    Anyone but o'brien

Quote Originally Posted by wizAlvin View Post
    Do you think this year we could also run a SHORT competition in a separate thread. Could be interesting?
    I'm against encouraging this
    while shorting is a necessity/reality, I don't like it myself

however, it might be a good educational exercise, there could be some spectacular losses (imagine shorting a 10 bagger)

I'm all for donation towards year comp even if it's $3 ea still going be $220+ all up(I'm happy to throw $30 into the tin) .... IMHO top 3 win New world vouchers 1st 50% of the donated money 2nd 30% 3rd 20% ..where they can buy bottle of wine ,Box of beers or if underage food etc ....

just need someone we can trust to have spare savings account etc...Wiz ...jenny..... I've got one I don't use? ..all entries get PM of account details etc all those entered will able to win the TOP3 prize and much forum kudos
    Last edited by JBmurc; 21-10-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

IMO

I know the pleasure is far greater if the bottle arrives professionally wrapped rather than a few more dollars intermingling inones bank account; just not the same feeling of satisfaction you get when unwrapping , uncorking and toasting .
    Re a prize ; in ones striving to increase ones wealth i think its great reminder to donate to a worthy cause to remind ourselves what is really worth far more than money; compassion, giving; helping those less fortunate then us. Or we could do both; match one with the other$wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I know the pleasure is far greater if the bottle arrives professionally wrapped rather than a few more dollars intermingling inones bank account; just not the same feeling of satisfaction you get when unwrapping , uncorking and toasting .
    Re a prize ; in ones striving to increase ones wealth i think its great reminder to donate to a worthy cause to remind ourselves what is really worth far more than money; compassion, giving; helping those less fortunate then us. Or we could do both; match one with the other$wise.
    Me and Skol had are $100 Gold bet going for many years must say receiving the $100 New world voucher wasn't any less appreciated when I uncorked the Moet ....great also as if we have a non-drinker underage or pregnant winner ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

percy

You must have just the one daughter?!...........lol.

IMO

TRUE! But she wants an SUV ,a tropical trip, new furnishings, a nurtibullet,a retro style turntable, an all hours parental taxi service and all manner of instant gratifications. I just want a zero emissions electric car and a G&T.

Guru

TRUE! But she wants an SUV ,a tropical trip, new furnishings, a nurtibullet,a retro style turntable, an all hours parental taxi service and all manner of instant gratifications. I just want a zero emissions electric car and a G&T.
    a search engine [duck duck go; google or their like] should provide a reasonable selection of digital [electric unless using a baird screen] cars. the ASCII range the other.
    Be aware of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    that not forbidden is mandatory.
    Anyone but o'brien

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Me and Skol had are $100 Gold bet going for many years must say receiving the $100 New world voucher wasn't any less appreciated when I uncorked the Moet ....great also as if we have a non-drinker underage or pregnant winner ...
    JBM..will be spending two weeks in arrowtown over xmas. See you with that WildTurkey101