sharetrader
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ETF's

IMO

Anyone subscribed to Jared Dillians monthly ETF 20/20 , US$79 year) ? Hows it been for you if so, do you actively follow his picks?
    ETF 20/20 - Mauldin Economics

IMO

I think there is probably a mkt for trading ETF's.I would look at it later on as an option when i would want to be taking less risk ,as part of my portfolio.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Anyone subscribed to Jared Dillians monthly ETF 20/20 , US$79 year) ? Hows it been for you if so, do you actively follow his picks?
    ETF 20/20 - Mauldin Economics
    Yep. Picked up the $39 lifetime +$5pa offer. Have learned a couple of things, which means I'm square.

As far as the content goes, I worry about confirmation bias - the initial ETF 20/20 portfolio looks enough like one of mine to make me wonder if he's been looking over my shoulder.

Out of interest, the ETF20/20 portfolio is up 1.9% since publication on 27/10/2017, with the majority of the rise in the Commodities - Oil ETF (+14%) and Europe (+1%).
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 07-11-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add performance

Simplicity launches investment funds that track the NZX top 50 and NZ bond market, under-cutting the NZX's Smartshares ETFs on fees

https://www.interest.co.nz/personal-finance/93031/simplicity-launches-investment-funds-track-nzx-top-50-and-nz-bond-market

https://simplicityfunds.kiwi/our-funds

Exposure to 200 of the largest companies listed on the ASX – by market capitalisation, in a single trade.
    Low management fees – A200 will have fees of just 0.07% p.a. (or $7 for every $10,000 invested), making A200 the lowest cost Australian shares ETF in the world.**

https://www.betashares.com.au/?utm_s...caApBwEALw_wcB
    Last edited by JBmurc; 12-04-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Compare investment platforms at
    https://www.moneyhub.co.nz/investing--saving.html

Quote Originally Posted by sonny n share View Post
    indeed a useful site, thanks sonny_n_share

A quick question for Dean at Smartshares:

Given your ETFs are designed to track their underlying indexes, why are so many of your ETFs delivering performance a long way below the index? For example, here are the non NZ/Aus Smartshares returns since inception vs relevant benchmarks:

TWF: 4.3% p.a. vs 6.1% p.a.
    USV: 5.7% p.a. vs 7.3% p.a.
    USG: 6.1% p.a. vs 7.7% p.a.
    EMF: 5.5% p.a. vs 7.3% p.a.
    APA: 4.9% p.a. vs 6.8% p.a.
    EUF: 0.4% p.a. vs 2.4% p.a.
    USF: 5.8% p.a. vs 7.6% p.a.

Your non-NZ and Aussie ETFs are consistently 1.4% p.a to 2% p.a. below their benchmarks. Other than your fees, why is this?

Hi D.Fender,

Thanks for the question. I'm not sure what time period or data you are comparing and whether the index returns converted back into NZD.

A few key points on our global equity ETFs

• Smartshares equity ETFs are unhedged and therefore investor returns will differ based on foreign exchange movements
    • Investor returns are calculated after fund charges and taxes i.e. the ETF makes a deduction for fund charges and tax obligations which includes FIF tax calculations

In addition to this it is worth noting that Investors also benefit from:

• Ability to trade at local brokerage rates
    • Don't need to hold the assets in custody (which avoids custody charges)
    • Can elect to have dividends paid out or reinvested
    • Able to join a regular savings plan with no transaction costs
    Dean Anderson

SMARTSHARES PRODUCT MANAGER

Quote Originally Posted by Dean@Smartshares View Post
    Hi D.Fender,

Thanks for the question. I'm not sure what time period or data you are comparing and whether the index returns converted back into NZD.

A few key points on our global equity ETFs

• Smartshares equity ETFs are unhedged and therefore investor returns will differ based on foreign exchange movements
    • Investor returns are calculated after fund charges and taxes i.e. the ETF makes a deduction for fund charges and tax obligations which includes FIF tax calculations

In addition to this it is worth noting that Investors also benefit from:

• Ability to trade at local brokerage rates
    • Don't need to hold the assets in custody (which avoids custody charges)
    • Can elect to have dividends paid out or reinvested
    • Able to join a regular savings plan with no transaction costs
    Thanks Dean. I took the data from the latest Smartshares fund updates (so you should have the answer on whether the index data is in NZD) and the numbers are since inception for each fund.

Also, the advantages you list are equally applicable to a lot of managed funds, except for most managed funds there is no ‘brokerage’ on entry/exit.