sharetrader
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: BeeBop does UK

As I have now transferred hemispheres (again), it is time for another short update. On May 11th, I said that I had sold one of my large global funds, I had sold most of it but not all. So recently, I sold the remains and put it into my Japan small cap fund (BGS.L). Luckily, I did the transfer following a bit of a two week boom on the fund and into a price/NAV discount on my BGS.L so the portfolio is decidedly healthy.

TRI.L reported last week and yet again, it performs steadily. Cross checking its metrics against my targets there is no reason to sell. It is no longer a high growth stock as one of my key metrics is just shy of target but well within a healthy level. It, however, now makes up 14% of my growth portfolio and I don't want to have a single share taking up much more than 10%. As I have concentrated my holdings down, a decent weighting is acceptable. Another solution to this weighting is to merely add some more funds to the portfolio and another share which would dilute the holding a tad - a bit sneaky but it will do the job.

So over the past two weeks my growth performers have been TRI.L, MNKS.L, JEO.L, and THRG.L.

In the education/conservative portfolio, sweet nothing has happened. LLOY.L is like watching paint dry and VOD.L is so fickle that I am fed up. That will be sold once it gets back to its last cycle top (it seems to like going up and down according to which way the wind is blowing). Nice dividends though!!

On the cash front, I have yet another stash lost in the ether - international banking is a dang humbug.
    Last edited by BeeBop; 16-06-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo JEP.l should have been JEO.L

What a week but what a surprise for me as the folios barely noticed the swings, although as of last night, at a new all time high (just). Fortunately, the missing funds have shown themselves AND another tranche of funds will come available. Needless to say that my reading over the past few weeks has me lined up for some new purchases.

The funds will be unfairly split over my two folios: 2/3 into education and 1/3 into growth. The education folio gets most as most of the money is a company refund for insanely expensive UK fees. I was intending to put 1/3 into the property IT, REIT.L, but I may put it into SLI.L as a slightly more liquid alternative both are good and have good yield. Another 1/3 will be into EAT.L a European small/mid assets trust, again paying a high yield. This will give me good weight in Europe (as the growth folio) has a European Growth IT in it (JEO.L). The final 1/3 is into the growth folio and should be BBT.L, which is a world-wide healthcare trust running at a small discount to NAV. We shall see (1) how well the funds initially arrive (2) if I can transfer them out to the target account without them hitting the ether again (3) if I get the buys placed well and (4) if the folios remain steady.

VOD has started to go up! Albeit fractionally.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    What a week but what a surprise for me as the folios barely noticed the swings, although as of last night, at a new all time high (just). Fortunately, the missing funds have shown themselves AND another tranche of funds will come available. Needless to say that my reading over the past few weeks has me lined up for some new purchases.

The funds will be unfairly split over my two folios: 2/3 into education and 1/3 into growth. The education folio gets most as most of the money is a company refund for insanely expensive UK fees. I was intending to put 1/3 into the property IT, REIT.L, but I may put it into SLI.L as a slightly more liquid alternative both are good and have good yield. Another 1/3 will be into EAT.L a European small/mid assets trust, again paying a high yield. This will give me good weight in Europe (as the growth folio) has a European Growth IT in it (JEO.L). The final 1/3 is into the growth folio and should be BBT.L, which is a world-wide healthcare trust running at a small discount to NAV. We shall see (1) how well the funds initially arrive (2) if I can transfer them out to the target account without them hitting the ether again (3) if I get the buys placed well and (4) if the folios remain steady.

VOD has started to go up! Albeit fractionally.

Thanks for sharing your investment history, I appreciate at as I know few people investing over there now.

The AIM market has more loser than winner over its history, I have had large and long term investments in Britain's two listed pawnbrokers, Albemarle & Bond and H&T. Done well as an investment if you understand the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Thanks for sharing your investment history, I appreciate at as I know few people investing over there now.

The AIM market has more loser than winner over its history, I have had large and long term investments in Britain's two listed pawnbrokers, Albemarle & Bond and H&T. Done well as an investment if you understand the business.
    Thank-you Raz,

I will take a look at your two investments out of interest. You are right about the AIM as my biggest looser was from there...but also my biggest winner. Now I am focusing on BlackRock’s Throgmorton Invesment Trust (for small caps) instead while running my winners...selling my small holdings (e.g. Speedy Hire). Overall, I have won nicely in the AIM but as my skin in the game becomes more important, I feel the folio should have diversification in small caps. Easier for me to focus on other invesments too without runnning after small cap individual holdings.

Default Update

With the economic crisis in Turkey, the risks of a no-deal in Brexit, and the tension in Iran all on my radar as each issue can have a significant bearing on my day-to-day life. Turkey provides military security and food to my adopted home, Iran provides food and is threatening a sea-strait block, and the no-deal brexit affects my GBP savings and next house purchase. With these in mind, my investing is active.

As the GBP has fallen significantly against the USD again, I am funnelling as much USD over there as possible. This means more investing in the short-term and me as a happy camper (literally).

My last set of purchases were completed at a good exchange rate. I bought SLI.L, MRCH.L, and BBH.L. Both SLI and BBH have gained (well BBH is has grown 10% in 5 weeks) and all have gone ex. dividend. MRCH, even with dividend accounted is down about 2% so I am not really complaining. SLI is a Property REIT, MRCH is. boring old FTSE income trust that, at the time of purchase, had a 6% DY and no tobacco stocks. Unfortunately, the devils have just bought into Imperial Brands so I indend to sell out as soon as I have a reasonable exit point (tobacco is against my investing rules). BBH is a global healthcare trust that was trading at a discount when I bought and has gone very well.

The overall portfolio is up with nothing showing any significant hits. I am selling some of my small cap specs (e.g. BOOT, SDY) as I will buy more of what I already have - the small caps can go into BlackRock’s Throgmorton which again, has been doing nicely.

Methinks that this Investment Trust lark suits me quite well especially as I buy on the discounts and there are hundreds to choose from including plenty of on-line material to read and chunk through. I can also just walk away and leave it without too much stress.

Now I must off, as I am finalising my 300km backpack hike in the UK...scored some BackCountry freezedried meals from Invercargill so I shall enjoy them from the side of my 1 person Hilleberg Akto tent whilst nursing my pained feet.

IMO

Cool slice of life..

BeeBop thinks it is time for another update....and this time folks....the update is dead flat! I daresay that is a good thing. My star fund Monks, is down at end of December levels. My European fund is now down at March levels, however, much of the remaining stock is flat (in list price) but dividends have paid out.

At times like this, I am forever thankful that I beat up my greedy side. In recent months I have been sorely tempted to release my cash holdings and to stop saving. My cash is in a Jersey Island cash account earning a fantastic 0% in interest. However, this cash allows me to pay horrendously expensive UK boarding school fees, and deal with crises that may arise within an 18 month time horizon. For NZ residents my degree of cash holding would be ridiculous but for an expat in a volatile sector of the world, it is seemingly wise insurance. I have no need to realise any sharemarket stocks for at least 18 months as of today.

While the stockmarket has been decidedly inactive for me (due to its own hyper-volatility), I have focused on my property folio. The numbers are bigger and, I would even deign to say, the risks/impact higher, and for me, really boring. But the opportunity is here and seemingly the council are happy with plans. I just hope that the expensive and slow journey to consent is worth it (at least I am capitalising my expenses so that my balance sheet stays the same).

Now I must get back to the Jamal Khashoggi murder mystery: Did MBS order it? Has it been staged? Will the "truth" come out? Will the "Davos in the Desert Desertion" be the start of the investment decline in Saudi? Will there be leadership pressure from within? Will Saudi be able to hold anything over global oil prices in 2018 and create oil price chaos if it doesn't go their way? Intriguing and dangerous for the world's economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    SMT is s more concentrated version of my monks....Lloyd’s ever popular but it remains in the dole drums....I will need to wait years, meanwhile I clip the dividends.

BeeBop is merely treading water....and ever thankful for the sell down on funds with high exposure to US based tech and caution towards the US. Net result is a ‘yawn yawn’ period. The dividends are fruiting nicely, my three NZ holdings still have annual (decently modest) gains, but my pure UK holdings (of which I have only two) are flaccid, albeit, one delivers a 6% yield.

My (by life direction as opposed to intelligent choice) hedging is keeping the investments in USD positive territory. The declining GBP reduces my MRCH.L fund value (6% yield though) but increases my ability to purchase GBP and thereby costs of education and investments in other UK listed trusts that are comfortable. I wish I could buy NZD as the moment though, as I have good investment opportunities there. However, my current plan involves GBP and I am doing my best to stay focused.

Meanwhile, I am now ‘holed’ up in Christchurch, NZ, lamenting my focus and wishing I could change direction and buy a central city townhouse. Christchurch is amazing, the support services, the hospital, the townplanning, and the open spaces. Why, this week, could the weather not be better?