sharetrader
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BeeBop does UK

Totally agree Beebop. I use ETFs for my core part of a portfolio and Investment Trusts as the satellite component. Fees are dropping for ITs. Look at SMT around .4% for an actively managed fund. with superb performance. I use to hold F&C but I would rather hold something like the SP500 ETF which is very diversified and can out perform most active managers. Most ETFs via smartshares have fees around 0.5% quite expensive. I hold the Nasdaq in my kiwisaver via Craigs.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Another interested reader. . .

The UK Investment Trusts! I'd forgotten about them! Yes, these are well worth looking into again!

Since I'm a lazy sod, is there any decent "selection tool" for them - something along the lines of the Internaxx ETF Selector and Fund Selector tools - which lumps the entire universe into a database and lets you select by geography, asset class, category, currency, etc.

Or is it more a case of identify the individual companies and then plough through each companies' selection of funds to see what they have?

As far as Infrastructure goes, it's a fairly small universe, and it seeems to me that most of the Infrastructure ETFs are variations on the same set of 20 to 30-odd companies for their major holdings.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 29-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.

GTM

Yes, there are selection tools. As I am only looking at the UK for them, I use the following tools and mix them up a bit depending on the finer detail I want:

(1) Trustnet.com

This is my primary search tool. I find the ranks easier to use. Of course, you need to set for IT's. At one point when I was building my BIG list of five funds, I looked at toplevel performances vs yield vs normality (discount or premium) and took points at 3 months 1 yr, 3 yrs and 10 yrs to see how the funds performed through the courses. I also take careful note of the manager e.g. Alexander Darwell for my Jupiter European Fund.

(2) Morningstar.co.uk

This is my second favorite as I can see the funds regular performance vs its norm discount vs premium. I also like the articles on this site

(3) theaic.co.uk

This one is fine, I use it sometimes

To add in, I also like citywire.co.uk for articles on ITs

Infrastructure: yes, I agree somewhat BUT I did find my recent iShares Blackrock ETF had Australia included and was a bit different to the standard Vanguard offering. The UK is also offering a few ITs for infrastructure e.g. HICL and IPP...but I am hesitant with the UK due to the possibility of a labour government and Corbyn's bright idea to bring them all in-house. I was also alarmed at how some of the school buildings were being managed....it kind of went against my ethics (I only found out about it via a Panorama documentary).

I am also including a video on SMT here....for those that don't know about it: this is worth watching: https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk...&related=false

On the same site there is a good one covering Monks: even if you are not interested in investing in it, the set-up they describe it really worth keeping in mind for personal share investment. I am sort of keeping it in mind with my selections.

Cheers
    BeeBop

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Thanks BeeBop.

Strange - I use Morningstar Australia and Morningstar US, but it never occurred to me that there would be a Morningstar UK. It's strange, the blind spots that you find you have.

Baillie Gifford look an interesting crowd.

Cheers and thanks

purchasing UK ITs is not simple unless you do this through a full broker which I have done. Previously I use to go direct to the investment trust and purchase through their savings schemes. This, unfortunately starts to get messy and complicated. As I get older I want to keep things simple. There are a few on the NZ stock exchange. Buying overseas stocks is not easy using discount brokers from NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    purchasing UK ITs is not simple unless you do this through a full broker which I have done. Previously I use to go direct to the investment trust and purchase through their savings schemes. This, unfortunately starts to get messy and complicated. As I get older I want to keep things simple. There are a few on the NZ stock exchange. Buying overseas stocks is not easy using discount brokers from NZ.
    Yes, using NZ brokers is not ideal at all for this type of investment. But it can be easy.

I did it when I lived in NZ after I had opened an international broking account. I have successfully used www.internaxx.com (GTM does also, I believe) since 2003. Things may have changed but as long as you hold less than 50k, the investment is tax free, over 50k then you pay 5% on value gain over that.

It it takes time to set it up but is well worth doing as you will have access to international markets and around 15 currency accounts (including the AUD).

i have used this as my main global brokerage but when I am dealing with NZ shares, I use a NZ discount broker.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Fully agree with BeeBop about Internaxx. Access to a multi-currency account, and to all the markets I'm interested in (EXCEPT New Zealand).

I'm not sure what the setup process is these days - almost certain to be more difficult than when I did it - but they are internationally focused on the expat market, so it will be as painless as AML regulations allow.

I use them mainly for ETFS, with the occasional foray into individual shares. They've certainly opened my eyes about what's available in the ETF space - the granularity is mind-boggling.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 30-04-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    Yes, using NZ brokers is not ideal at all for this type of investment. But it can be easy.

Things may have changed but as long as you hold less than 50k, the investment is tax free, over 50k then you pay 5% on value gain over that.

It is the purchase cost that has to be below $50,000. If the investment increases above then it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    It is the purchase cost that has to be below $50,000. If the investment increases above then it doesn't matter.
    Superb especially if you have many years ahead of you.

Voltage

With respect to SMT....This article has recently popped up and may be of interest to you: https://www.moneyobserver.com/invest...er-group-award

And another chat site (that I shadow) had some recent discussion on SMT: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17419

Cheers,
    BeeBop