sharetrader
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: BeeBop does UK

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

If you're keen on the U.K. maybe have a look at US Treasury Bills/Bonds (3-7 and >20 years) denominated in GBP thru an Irish-domicile ETF.

CU71 and IBTL have done OK for me YTD

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    If you're keen on the U.K. maybe have a look at US Treasury Bills/Bonds (3-7 and >20 years) denominated in GBP thru an Irish-domicile ETF.

I will take a look at both of those. I have quite a bit of GBP cash earning 0% sitting on the sidelines that is looking for a fairly conservative and less volatile home...both of those options may be stamp duty free too.

BeeBop

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Just remember that it's bl**dy sensitive to the exchange rate.

GBP/USD can be a two-edged sword.

Just remember that it's bl**dy sensitive to the exchange rate.

GBP/USD can be a two-edged sword.
    Agree, but for me the GBP is the final resting place for the money: independent school fees, hopefully university fees, and most probably a house all to be paid out for in the UK. I think we are lucky (at the moment) with the benefit of a USD income stream - on the right side of timing.

Also happy for the current USD/NZD exchange rate too, makes a bit of a change from around six years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    Agree, but for me the GBP is the final resting place for the money: independent school fees, hopefully university fees, and most probably a house all to be paid out for in the UK. I think we are lucky (at the moment) with the benefit of a USD income stream - on the right side of timing.

Also happy for the current USD/NZD exchange rate too, makes a bit of a change from around six years ago!
    My preference is holding USD in these turbulent times. Can't say much about the GBP as it's been relatively flat to the NZD for the past 5 years, though there's more potential for the GBP to plummet over Brexit.

School fees? What's wrong with public schools?

The NZD is weak to the USD because the NZ economy isn't doing well and potentially we could see under $0.50 in the next 2 - 5 years. How does this translate to the person that has lots of USD or GBP cash? Well you may benefit on the exchange rate but you realise that you do live in NZ and everything you consume and do will go up in price. Inflation is tied to NZ's currency because we simply can't produce everything and since most imported products are based in USD, the retailers are forced to raise prices, and thus inflation becomes a problem.

On the grand scheme, NZ residents won't be doing as well as overseas residents like in N. America. We are plagued with over-regulations, FMA, FIF, AML, etc. The only charm NZ has left is investing in real estate, where the gains can be tax free. But for most places around the world, the principle residence is tax free.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Default Bl**dy Boris - Bl**dy Brexit

I had to move quite fast yesterday to get shot of these two bond ETFs and lock in the gains when the GBP went above USD1.24. I hope that it's not a one-day wonder!

I left the money in the GBP-denominated S&P500 ETF though.

Now comes the issue of what to do with all those pounds. . .

I had to move quite fast yesterday to get shot of these two bond ETFs and lock in the gains when the GBP went above USD1.24. I hope that it's not a one-day wonder!

I left the money in the GBP-denominated S&P500 ETF though.

Now comes the issue of what to do with all those pounds. . .
    Currency changes get me but the opportunities at the moment are high and you are quick (as you seem to have been). If you felt like keeping your pounds and knew which way the GBP was going to go in the future, there could be some good opportunities in the UK market itself as there is a lot that is currently undervalued plus some significant swings e.g. take a look at Lloyds on Friday, it finished up 12% and that was from lunch-time (paying around 5% at the pre-lift yield). Small caps are going well too....although, if it were me, I would probably explore some kind of GBP denominated EFT that had predominantly UK based companies AND it paid a good dividend (?IUKD). Maybe the GBP will recover enough before the NZD does and the money can be transferred back to NZD if that is a better home for it.

I am not good in bonds and wonder if the values will start to come down exactly when I buy them. Yours look good but much of the gain has been made?

Unfortunately for me, I have been absolutely absorbed in my 'other' project where I need to dig and fill some big holes in the ground.

Sold up some good yielders on the NZX as the values had got too high and the cash was better used in reducing my risk exposure e.g. how high can CEN go? Thanks to SCL (bought on its Jan 3 low), Milford div income, and Mr Orr; you lined up nicely for me. But I am sad to have sold as they are good long term holds but me, I, at this point, have a better investment use for the money.

Hi Beebop, you seem to have great knowledge on investment trusts. I own: BIOG.LSEBiotech Growth Trust, WWH.LSEWorldwide Health and Templeton Emerging. I have been quite disappointed the returns with these specific trusts and wonder if it is more prudent to have a couple of global investment trusts. Any recommendations? I do own Scottish Mortgage. What sites do you use for info on ITs?

Voltage: I really can't recommend anything and neither would I want to (nor should you take anyone's recommendation as often that is how you can go wrong) but I can say that you do have the "popular" ones and they are the ones I avoid, for no good enough reason other than usually at a premium. For instance, two years ago one youthful chap, who was full of information and 'experience' told me I was doing things wrong and I should be in Neil Woodford's Funds....yeah, right mate! He did put his money where his mouth was and invested his modest earnings into the fund (and only that fund); needless I say anymore?

If you read through this conversation you will see the ones that I own and I own them for good reason but they are my reasons, my risk and in some cases my future gazing (speculation) and I could be as wrong as I am right. Also, and early learning for me was to purchase when they are on a discount to their "normal pattern"....not just on a discount to NAV but running well below where they historically have been without a good reason. SMT at the moment is probably at a low due to the global financial angst and you do seem to be quite focused on tech/growth. I didn't choose SMT but selected its more balanced counterpart (own much of the same but more diversified); MNKS.

I use: lemonfool . co . uk and morningstar . co . uk and trust net . co .uk as my main references/data sources amongst other solid sites/magazines (investor's chronicle).

I really don't want to rehash what I have said before.

I no longer have any major emerging market funds (I lost out on India because I wasn't patient enough), I changed my WWH to BBH, I did have a healthcare property fund but it was taken over ($$$$ for me), and I have MNKS instead of SMT. My strongest performance has been from MNKS followed by a small cap fund called BlackRock Throgmorton and my Japan fund has done nicely but has stagnated of recent times...have bought more.

I suspect you could have bought at a market high point? The past year has really delivered very little in these types of funds - that is why I have some dividend payers. AND why I have activities in other markets e.g. the NZX has delivered very very nicely especially on those shares that were bought when everyone else was running.

At the moment, if you are at least treading water or up around 5 - 10% on the past year, maybe it isn't too bad on a global fund basis. On the NZX....the story can be double that for those with more focused share selections.

Then again, good old global balanced dividend paying ETFs...I loved my short hold in IGF on the US market (just the exchange rate benefits for me were too good not to sell!).

Voltage: I just happen to be in a coffee shop drinking coffee (as one tends to do) and reading the 13/9/2019 issue of Investors Chronicle (I buy my issues on my NZitunes account) and your funds were reviewed. Seem IC have dropped BIOG due to performance issues but I suggest you download the magazine’s issue and read for yourself.