sharetrader
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: BeeBop does UK

BeeBop is in the UK at the moment for an Easter break.....had a good look at a few Sainsbury mega shops and wasn't impressed....certainly buzzing but didn't have the brands I was looking for, seemed "cheap" and messy. Think I will steer clear of these shares. Followed my gut with Pumpkin Patch and its global stores....burnt myself with Bonmarche by not going in to see them, so now that I have been bitten, I will not enter the supermarket game with my own handpicked stocks - leave that to any potential funds I buy into.

Their property and stock markets are not listening to Brexit. Pound also should begin its uptrend next.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39691366

FTSE 100 up 2% as European stocks rally after French vote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7698721.html

UK house asking prices hit record average high of £313,000 as property market recovers from Brexit blip

BeeBop's UK portfolio has been growing at a rather unsettling fast rate; rather unnerving. As a result, I have taken a tad more of a conservative approach and decided to trust myself a little less. These days I am not paying down my remaining property mortgages as my debt is down to 29% of the total value, so apart from dealing with the odd maintenance issues via the PMs, it is hands-off and forgotten. This means, the share portfolio doesn't get sold down when it gets higher, hence, my new, and previously avoided, leaning to actively managed funds. Around three weeks ago I sold off my IUKD.L EFT (an ETF UK dividend focused). The TOTAL return on it over two years was around 20% so I was happy enough to sell and put funds into a higher growth folio. I have just upped my investment in MONKS Investment Trust (MNKS) and kind of bought into a slightly overlapping global focus fund (also has Apple and Alphabet in it) by Fidelity Funds (Fidelity Funds Global Focus). My Jupiter India is also doing well.

I think BeeBop needs a winter in New Zealand to quietly consider the next individual share purchase. The market heat is matching the heat out of doors and my brain in frying....deep breath...step back and monitor, maybe the cash will not grow but if things turn down, I can buy some more select stocks at that point. BeeBop has never liked soaring markets, BeeBop usually sells.

As for the GBP, just got my GBP bought before the last upward hike!

As usual, BeeBop doesn't like to stay still. Clearly, I am fearful of the rapid speed of the market but don't want to sit out (well not totally).

Last week I sold my smallest holding, CCL.L, of Carnival shares (we enjoy the Cunard cruise line so purchased shares a while ago). My total gain was 39% (or 27% annualised) and there was still growth available BUT I had not purchased the full 100 shares required for cruise shareholder benefits - silly me - so rather than purchase the full amount, I sold what I did have. Monies were all put into another AIM listed share that seems to be a turnaround opportunity Speedy Hire (SDY.L). I haven't purchased a turnaround since the early noughties (on the ASX), so this will be interesting.

On my recent purchases, overall the portfolio is looking good. EMR is up 35% and MNKS is up 25%, KIE is down 9.9% and BBOX is up 12%. My others are all up between 3 and 8%. I look hard at stocks that are down (e.g. My Bonmarche remains a sad wee puppy at -50% but I have the time and its losses have been covered by the total portfolio). KIE has cycled and again its fundamentals are good.

On Thursday, I sold my AIR.NZ shares he he he.....a nice wee pay day that was....I am slowly getting out of individual holds in NZ. I need to decide whether to put it into the remaining flexiloan, send it to the UK, or put it into my NZ Milford Assest Management account (yield above that of my Flexi) or look for something else on the NZX.

percy

BeeBop.
    Thank you for sharing your interesting investing.
    I thought I would have had more time on my hands this year,which I had intended using looking at the UK market.
    Unfortunately I haven't found it,yet.!.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    BeeBop.
    Thank you for sharing your interesting investing.
    I thought I would have had more time on my hands this year,which I had intended using looking at the UK market.
    Unfortunately I haven't found it,yet.!.
    Percy
    Many thanks for your thanks...it does take time especially if you are just entering into it so wise to stay out until you have that most precious (and highly depreciating) of commodities.

BeeBop has been thankful for "my" chosen approach as the portfolio has been stable through the UK election. KIE has been down a bit but MNKS is up...everything else has tread water.

For my NZ portfolio, I shall wait for my IFT dividend to come in, sell my CEN (as it is already part of one of my managed funds) and slug the lot into my balanced MAM fund....again, caution for the time being, and I really can't find anything exciting to invest in within the NZ market.

Note: I am not transferring monies from NZD to GBP (even though it makes paper sense) as I do want to have plenty of spare readies for property and shares in NZ should something tickle my fancy during the winter.

BeeBop is also thankful for emergency planning and has called on it now due to certain diplomatic rows and hurried flight rebookings. Current plans are to spend a bitter winter in southern NZ, hopefully the sandpit fights will have settled by the end of August Again, BeeBop is thankful that no new properties were added to the greater portfolio and current rents coming lead to a worry free holiday in the frost - along with a wee sojourne to the Pacific Islands, midwinter, to warm up a little bit.

BeeBop is freezing in NZ.

The UK portfolio seems to be stable with no significant growth since mid-June but the divvies are coming in so I am happy with that. As for the NZ portfolio, I am kicking myself that I sold my AIR.NZ at $3.00 - I always sell too early! But due to the cold weather, and a desire to improve cashflow, I am considering a property sale: this would somewhat increase my portfolio management activities - exchange rates are favourable! My big question to self is: should I pay the exorbitant fees charged by the wealth management companies in NZ, or, manage myself, or split the difference (leave some in NZ wealth management and take the rest to invest off-shore myself) and swallow the fee (I value every single individual dollar). I seem to have been spoilt with my int.TDwaterhouse fees (now bought out again and back to its original www.internaxx.lu).

Currently, I have no plans for UK share purchases in the near term and remain happy with my MNKS.L and Jupiter India purchases - these two are my wee shining stars at this point.

BeeBop

What do you think about top performing stocks such as Easyjet (LON: EZJ), International Consolidated Airlns Grp SA (LON: IAG),InterContinental Hotels Group PLC(LON:IHG). Will they perform well in the second half of this year as well? Thanks.

Marketwinner

Hmmmm, of course I can not answer your questions about future performance. However, in my reading I have heard positives about EZJ....and the very top line fundamentals have a lowish PE (albeit a tad high for airlines globally) and a good yield of around 3.8% (which I like) there has also been some good commentary. As for IHG, I know very little about the fundamentals (but it has a 1.8% yield), having stayed in the Holiday Inn chains recently and been very impressed, I put them onto my radar but felt they were fairly valued.....net results, I was wrong and they continued tracking upwards. I have no idea about IAG.

I am currently considering shares in the following article which can be found on iii.co.uk - I have just copied the title for you.
    10 'crisis-proof' shares to buy and hold forever

By Kyle Caldwell (Money Observer) | Thu, 13th July 2017 - 09:34