sharetrader

Question Best way to invest in vanguard funds

Hi,

Are their any better ways to invest in Vanguard funds in New Zealand with regular investments other than Smartshares and Superlife?

Are there any cheaper options out there, below seem to be the fees of each for the Vanguard S&P500 fund.

• Superlife: o.44% + $12 per year
    • Smartshare:0.35%

Hey Flsaver,

As far as I'm aware the only NZX listed product is the USF ETF provided via Smartshares/SuperLife.

Another route could be buying the vanguard ETF through the ASX?
    https://www.vanguardinvestments.com....s/product.html

You'll get the low fee here but remember this is not a PIE fund, so unlike the NZX offer, you'd have to sort out your tax.

A few people did look into the options on another thread which you might find useful here: http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...ed-ETFs-on-ASX

Any reason you're looking at the S&P 500 In particular ?

HTH

Cheers
    Last edited by huxley; 07-02-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post

Any reason you're looking at the S&P 500 In particular ?

Cheers
    Thanks I'll take a little look, I guess with going through the ASX I'll also then have to worry about the exchange rate between AUS and NZ?

I'm relatively young (29) and am aiming to be FI by the time I'm <40. I have a long time horizon and have learnt that you can't time or "beat the market return". So really it's about finding a low cost index fund to invest into either the S&P500 or Total world. Comparing the two historically (https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/) the S&P500 has returned a little more than the Total world - bar more voilitle which does not worry me due to my time horizon.

I'm regularly investing into a number of funds through smartshares and have been toying with the idea of consolidating the below?

• S&P500 - continue
    • Total world - continue
    • NZX50 - continue (local interest)
    • NZ MidCap - remove
    • US Large Growth - remove

I've also seen mention that the S&P500 could be considered diverse enough with big american companies located worldwide, I have a long time horizon so don't mind the volatility and am wondering if I should even remove the total world and just continue with the S&P500 fund and NZX50 fund for my local interest.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by FIsaver; 08-02-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FIsaver View Post
    Thanks I'll take a little look, I guess with going through the ASX I'll also then have to worry about the exchange rate between AUS and NZ?
    You will not if you are investing in the S&P 500. Whether you go through the ASX or NZX you investment will be denominated in $US so you will only have to worry about the rate between the US and NZ.

(same reasoning applies for Total World)

Quote Originally Posted by FIsaver View Post

I'm relatively young (29) and am aiming to be FI by the time I'm <40. I have a long time horizon and have learnt that you can't time or "beat the market return". So really it's about finding a low cost index fund to invest into either the S&P500 or Total world. Comparing the two historically (https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/) the S&P500 has returned a little more than the Total world - bar more voilitle which does not worry me due to my time horizon.

I'm regularly investing into a number of funds through smartshares and have been toying with the idea of consolidating the below?

• S&P500 - continue
    • Total world - continue
    • NZX50 - continue (local interest)
    • NZ MidCap - remove
    • US Large Growth - remove

I've also seen mention that the S&P500 could be considered diverse enough with big american companies located worldwide, I have a long time horizon so don't mind the volatility and am wondering if I should even remove the total world and just continue with the S&P500 fund and NZX50 fund for my local interest.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like I've probably been reading similar material regarding efficient markets, so not much to add!

When I joined SuperLife they were not yet part of NZX and at that time the Smartshares ETF range only had allocations to NZ/AUS markets.

I've been sitting in their unhedged MSCI world index fund for KiwiSaver and alongside this I opened a separate accessible fund which has used the new Smartshares offering to focus on the US. This has been quite successful though, I'm wondering if the market's wonder lust with Trump may rub off at some point, so I might want to rebalance this..

Also I've got some individual holdings which have averaged around 20%pa the last few years, but this has clearly resulted from taking more risk than the ETF funds.

Good luck with the fire goal!

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

http://int.tddirectinvesting.com based in Luxembourg, access to lots of things in lots of places.

interesting, how many investors here use this broker and are there any negatives?