sharetrader

Question No advice, thanks.

Greetings, not looking for advice, but if you were to start again and a few grand to invest, what/how would you start off with as your first investment move.

Default Index funds

Invest in index funds - starting in total world funds, S&P500 funds to aim for market return. If I was interested in individual companies, e.g. auckland airport I might take a look at some ETF's that focused on this plus some others to diversify initially NZTop10. (So long as time horizon was 10-20 years)

Depending on how into investing the person is, dable in individual stocks, - I'm a buy and hold investor and I might buy into 1 company a year (to keep me interested), while regularly investing into a couple of index funds.
    Last edited by FIsaver; 20-02-2017 at 10:39 AM.

A few grand may not cut it, I mean the fees would be quite high % because they charge a minimum.

Looking back for me and looking at what has happened to me that would be SCL, AIA and THL and maybe ZEL before they announced the merger lol. If this was 1980s or 2000s then Apple and Google

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Bog standard low-fee index-linked global shares fund. Gives me a benchmark for my future investments.

Thank you for your response will do some reading on Index Funds - Vanguard looks like the place to go for that.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    A few grand may not cut it, I mean the fees would be quite high % because they charge a minimum.

Looking back for me and looking at what has happened to me that would be SCL, AIA and THL and maybe ZEL before they announced the merger lol. If this was 1980s or 2000s then Apple and Google
    OK, rayonline what are your picks for high risk/hi reward scenarios? Is PPH a goer?

Ok, so I am of the Jst do it ilk, set up a ANZ Securities account, spilt 15k between OZ and NZ to begin my Portfolio. Started with A2 Milk, in both OZ and NZ very happy with that decision. small parcels of Orion Health, a& Brainchip in OZ. Then I got a sense of Medicinal Cannabis benefits and went with a decent parcel of Zelda Therapeutics. All in the positive so far so happy with the direction. Now learning about taking profits and trading. Any non advice would be welcomed.