sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Take profits or cull poor performers?

With the increase in equities this year, I need to rebalance my portfolio. Do I take profits in NZE:POT with a P/E of 39.5 or do I sell ASX:TGA with a P/E of 11.45?

IMO

Its a very personal decision Brovendell.POT keeps on confounding and increasing. The only little worry is if a big cruise ship misses its buoys and hitting the mussel bed cliffs and sinking and clogging up the narrow entrance to Tauranga harbour. What was your entry price into POT? Others i know sold earlier thinking the s/p was too rich but since a pause ,when POT share splittered itself its kept going to new heights. Less risk selling now.
    TGA is doing the opposite on no news.I'm looking at buying more but not while its still falling. Govt regulations have been dealt with i thought. maybe an update soon will clarify things.last year it was in april . More risk buying now or soon but more potential gain imo DYOR.

In the last 5 years POT has increased SP by 111.85% according to Google finance. TGA has decreased SP by 13.03%

Veteran novice

I hold TGA and am guilty of taking my eye off the ball as the SP has been sold down. Clearly, there are problems - the company will probably call them "challenges" - but the RSI is as weak as its been in the last 10 years and at these levels, unless the challenges are terminal, I would expect some measure of recovery. I'll watch more carefully from here!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Brovendell View Post
    With the increase in equities this year, I need to rebalance my portfolio. Do I take profits in NZE:POT with a P/E of 39.5 or do I sell ASX:TGA with a P/E of 11.45?
    Taking a look at the one year chart, Port of Tauranga has risen by about 25% over the year. Whereas Thorn Group Limited, a financial services company, has declined by around 20% in $A terms over the same time frame.

I note that these two companies are in entirely different market spaces. So what you have here is an 'apple' verses 'orange' comparison. That means you should not be comparing the two at all. Instead you need to figure out how these companies are doing in the respective markets in which they operate. That means looking at each industry as a whole and comparing the shares you hold with other companies operating in those market sectors.

You give a PE comparison between POT and TGA. But because that PE comparison is across different market sectors, and indeed different countries, that comparison is largely meaningless too.

Historical performance, except in the very short term future, is unlikely to be a harbinger of on going long term performance. You can only invest in the future, not in the past. So first you have to establish what your time frame for investment is. Then, if longer than a few months, you have to work out if the decline in TGA is a cyclical event, or if some fundamental on-going flaw in the business model has caused the decline.

I don't think anyone would disagree that POT is by far the better company of the two, by any operational measure you care to make. But is it a better investment going forwards? At today's lofty prices, this is far from clear.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 20-02-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

I've considered selling TGA, but I'd rather not sell something that is falling. i can't see that the business has changed since the selloff, it does have headwinds but i don't see the problems as terminal. i've seen valuations of 1.75-1.85 and the dividend is decent.

Thanks for the comments. As a buy and hold investor, I already own both shares and am not looking to purchase any more of either. Does one water the flowers or spray the weeds? Which is the flower and which is the weed? I agree, Snoopy, that at today's prices, it is far from clear which is the better investment going forwards. Not to buy but to keep.

IMO

Good luck and hope you find clarity.i don't think of either as a weed but TGA is a possible opportunity to top up for me whereas POT is not.. Opinions I've read is that the ASIC rulings will actually favour TGA and eliminate competition as others e.g. franchises do drop out of that sector.. But uncertainty prevails atm until they announce.
    There are threads for both stocks; may help in getting more comments.

wondering if any of the selloff is related to SIV and their equipment financing.

I've had similar issues recently deciding what to sell, the permutations of it all are mind boggling. i hold KMD, SRX and FLN which are down but I've decided i believe in them still, sold IMf which i still believe in to move into something else with a possibility of greater return. could have taken a profit elsewhere but I've taken profits around brexit so i'd be looking at cgt issues.
    Last edited by carrera; 22-02-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile No regrets

Whatever you do, you will probably wish you had not down the line.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum