sharetrader

Default Simply Wall Street

Simply Wall St, a popular fintech startup aiming to replace human stock brokers, has announced it is launching its services in Canada and New Zealand, as addition to the currently covered markets of US, UK and Australia.

Simply put, the platform is doing for investors everything that the best human stock broker would, but orders of magnitude cheaper and quicker. It provides its over 85,000 users with actionable, well researched information on stocks in the form of beautiful and easy to understand infographics, helps them find new investment opportunities based on their preferences and provides them with detailed portfolio analysis.
    But in many ways, Simply Wall St is also very unlike the traditional investment services. If you are a small or beginner investor you can use the platform for free on the Learner plan and transparency is such a big focus here that the analysis model is even open sourced.

“Stock brokers were once supposed to be helping retail investors succeed in the market. But they were too expensive and often serving their own interests rather than their client’s. So logically, most investors moved to discount brokerages, which are cheap, but are not providing any useful advice or help,” says Al Bentley CEO and founder of Simply Wall St.
    Research studies show that the majority of retail stock investors today have no or very little idea about what they are actually doing .

Just inputted my Australian and New Zealand portfolios into this programme.(Exported from ASB and imported into Simply Wall Street)
    Quite impressed with data presentation in the dashboard layout. Paid $81 US for a year.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Post First Impressions

They offer a 14 day free trial without asking you for any method of payment so it is worth giving it a look.

I manually bunged my ASX portfolio holdings into it so it gives me historical returns based on a held forever basis.
    I will edit it with actual buy dates and prices which would be more useful.

There is something seriously askew with the portfolio P/E ratio it is quoting me (25.74) & a few others figures are a little off, it also quoting a portfolio PEG ratio of 0.65.

There is many hours of fun to be had with the filters trying to get a sensible (sized) selection of stocks to consider. I would like to see a filter for turnover.

It certainly looks pretty but it will be a while before I can conclude whether it is useful.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    They offer a 14 day free trial without asking you for any method of payment so it is worth giving it a look.

I manually bunged my ASX portfolio holdings into it so it gives me historical returns based on a held forever basis.
    I will edit it with actual buy dates and prices which would be more useful.

There is something seriously askew with the portfolio P/E ratio it is quoting me (25.74) & a few others figures are a little off, it also quoting a portfolio PEG ratio of 0.65.

There is many hours of fun to be had with the filters trying to get a sensible (sized) selection of stocks to consider. I would like to see a filter for turnover.

It certainly looks pretty but it will be a while before I can conclude whether it is useful.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Paper Tiger, any conclusions about simplywallst now that it's been a few months now?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs down Did not present a sufficient return on investment

I let it go at the end of the free trial.

For me, it did not provide anything new that I found useful over what I had already, so I was not going to pay money for it!

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

I really like the analyses and presentation of US stocks, but do not trust the analyses of NZ stocks. Because simplywallst aggregates info from external analysts together it depends on their being enough (and reliable) analysts to form a reasonable perspective. However, their analyses of NZ stocks generally only have 0, 1 or 2 data sources (which seem askew for some stocks) which makes for some dodgy forecasts.

eg. Summerset is estimated to be over 300% overvalued at the moment with Intrinsic Value Based on Future Cash Flows estimating a fair value of just $1.24 (c.f. today at $4.75)! It also estimates a 33% drop in growth at 1yr and 3yrs.

I've subscribed for a year to use it with US stocks, but wouldn't use it for NZ stocks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    I really like the analyses and presentation of US stocks, but do not trust the analyses of NZ stocks. Because simplywallst aggregates info from external analysts together it depends on their being enough (and reliable) analysts to form a reasonable perspective. However, their analyses of NZ stocks generally only have 0, 1 or 2 data sources (which seem askew for some stocks) which makes for some dodgy forecasts.

eg. Summerset is estimated to be over 300% overvalued at the moment with Intrinsic Value Based on Future Cash Flows estimating a fair value of just $1.24 (c.f. today at $4.75)! It also estimates a 33% drop in growth at 1yr and 3yrs.

I've subscribed for a year to use it with US stocks, but wouldn't use it for NZ stocks.
    Ridiculous valuation for SUM, another example but the other extreme is IFT which they value at $5.47(Today at $2.97) yeah right.

Hi Just wondering if anyone has an user feedback on this software? I use Sharesight currently which is excellent but was interested in simplywallst, not for research but for portfolio return reporting.Let me know if you recommend it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kwkiwi View Post
    Hi Just wondering if anyone has an user feedback on this software? I use Sharesight currently which is excellent but was interested in simplywallst, not for research but for portfolio return reporting.Let me know if you recommend it. thanks
    I subscribed to it for a year but did not find it that useful. For example, it's share price value and ROI estimates are often way off. I cancelled the subscription and ignore their 'articles'.