sharetrader
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Trying to get outta here

Bit hard putting all that safety equipment into a 1970 Jag Roger, mind you it is a substantial piece of solid metal. It is what it is and you just enjoy it as such, beside anytime you get to around 200kph, your not going to come off too good no matter what car your driving unless you have a roll cage installed. PS-I only do that speed for maybe 5-10 secs in a long passing lane.

You get a free pass for classic vehicles mate, especially an old high performance Jag
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Classics are definately in a different class and I love my big gas guzzling engines that will always have a place in the memory banks.

Drove through this intersection 20mins before this crash and a bit of a foggy morning in the Waikato. Being in a safe car is the difference many don't think about but having seen too many first hand right at the top of my list.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/n...al-crash-scene

The old heavy steel cars don't look like they have had much of an impact compared to crumple zones on newer cars but the deceleration forces are what kills and of course what you hit or get hit by..... I have even seen a seat belt melt a perfect line in someone's t'shirt from the friction. Anyone having been in an accident will testify to the sheer violence of them.

Sad that so many lose their lives in devastating ways.

WOW that looks like a serious head on !

No question a decent car will give you a far better chance of surviving one like that. In fact one of my clients will only buy top of the line Audi's because he swears his Audi S8 saved his life in an accident of a similar nature to that link you've posted.

A lot has been written in car magazines and generally in the press about the advantages of dynamic stability control, ABS brakes, electronic brake force distribution e.t.c. but one little known fact about current vehicles equipped with advanced radar based adaptive cruise control systems is in my experience they're better at maintaining the correct following distances than human's in nearly all conditions but especially in limited visibility conditions and at night because they're radar based as opposed to visual inputs. You simply set the following distance, one, two or three seconds, I always choose at least two seconds and the vehicle adapts its following distance to the vehicle in front based on its speed and your relative distance. Tried your adaptive cruise control out yet mate ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-04-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Yes I have used the ACC. Hovered over the brake pedal while testing it out. Quite impressive even following through a roundabout with no approaching traffic. One thing that impressed, even in a passing lane it didn't get confused with the truck in left lane while I was synced to the car infront in the passing lane.

More to the safety aspect, collision avoidance is impressive even reading stop signs. I wonder how well radar and collision avoidance would work in fog? Will likely have a chance to play with it over the coming winter but guessing it's got to be better than ones eyes and low beam headlight or fog light limitations???

Your client is right, the safest cars on the road really do make a considerable difference when things go wrong. There's safe and then there's the real safe ones.....

Yes the ACC is impressive but takes a little bit to become accustomed too, (totally understand your initial nervousness). There's an awful lot of programming that goes into the system as I am sure you can imagine. Even very slight inputs on your steering wheel are factored into the primary directional analysis of the system and as you've observed it has to be fairly directional otherwise the potential for difficulty with false readings becomes problematic. Radar works by bouncing (similar to microwave energy frequency) signals off metal objects so in my experience its is impervious to fog and darkness and of great assistance in either as judging distance in the dark or foggy conditions can be extremely difficult. Intense rain can render the system less than impressive but overall its a very useful feature for sure. I use mine a lot even around town. Mercedes-Benz were the pioneer's of distronic based cruise control systems so they've been in upper end Merc's for well over a decade now.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.

That merc sure must have been an impressive beast, I can see why you are happy to keep running around in it and the mrs of course.

I know it picks up animals and people so it would be pretty good, good point re the rain and I recall them saying to keep the sensors around the car clean as they can have issues when overly dirty so muddy road works could cause a problem, will be some good learning in different environments but the AAC was on when I drove home and it was raining a bit for the last couple of hours of the journey with the 2nd big storm we had, didn't seem to affect it which was good so you are probably right about the fog.

The wife took the kids to the movies in it yesterday, amazingly it came back without any scratch's or dents - only a matter of time but dodged the bullet so far haha

Yeap Merc's still a good bit of kit. Far too good to sell for its current market value so kept as a luxury weekend cruiser / special occasion vehicle AKA (semi retirement).

You ACC probably a bit more advanced now days mate. Not to sure mine's any good with people, dogs and other animals and not keen to test it on any of them either LOL.

You're a brave man letting your wife drive your lovely new car this early...I suppose someone has to be the first to put a scratch or dent into it

Not tempted to test it on the wife? With clear instructions to be ready to jump of course haha.

I would be a braver man to say no to her driving it but at lease it reverse parks for her.

First scratch or dent will be from a shopping trolley or someone's door while parked up at the shopping centre. I look at our other car at the 6 year mark of having it and wow, there sure are a lot of them.... part of the process and it cant be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Not tempted to test it on the wife? With clear instructions to be ready to jump of course haha.
    Sometimes tempted without instructions to jump LOL.

Now you've had it a few weeks and got into a normal driving pattern around where you live how's the fuel consumption going mate ?

7.1 from start to finish but still on 2nd tank of diesel. Drove it this morning, still loving driving it, cranked the sounds and cruised but sadly only a 35km trip....

I do have to say though its gone into the workshop - had a flat battery so either a bad cell or something drawing on the battery when locked. They running diagnostics and sending to Sweeden overnight. Bit of a bummer but how they handle it will be the determining factor on how I feel about it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    7.1 from start to finish but still on 2nd tank of diesel. Drove it this morning, still loving driving it, cranked the sounds and cruised but sadly only a 35km trip....

I do have to say though its gone into the workshop - had a flat battery so either a bad cell or something drawing on the battery when locked. They running diagnostics and sending to Sweeden overnight. Bit of a bummer but how they handle it will be the determining factor on how I feel about it afterwards.
    7.1 still good, surprised its not a bit higher, (official lab tested fuel economy ratings are quite disingenuous these days in my opinion). Be interesting to see where it settles after a few more weeks.
    My daily driver is a Chrysler SRT8, (Merc now semi retired weekender) and I had a devil of a job with current draw and flat batteries for a while. Modern high tech cars have so many electronic systems in them now its usually a case of some system still running and sucking current when it shouldn't be. I had to take it back three times and then a fourth for a battery replacement.
    Pain the butt but persevere with it. There's usually so much computing power on these things they can trace it fairly easily although I have to say Chryslers after sales service left a lot to be desired so I hope you have a better run. Running like a well oiled swiss watch now. I had big drama's with the Merc when it was new too. Cheer up, Teething problems are the norm mate, even on new Dreamliners
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-05-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Had a Chrysler as a rental in aussie for 10 days last year, actually enjoyed it but not practical for the kids and kayak.

Yeah technology has its down side, on a positive the car sent me a message to say the battery was sufficiently charged when on the charger haha. I think its likely some module thingy not turning off but will wait and see. My mindset will be determined by how it is handled by Volvo, so far so good with involving Sweden in it already and the time differences with them keeping it overnight. Got a Peugeot - lets just say I am more impressed with the pepper grinder I have with their brand on it but the car is not a patch on the XC90.

Dreamliners - yeah but boy AIR is on a good roll, I know I shouldn't regret tossing half of the holding in them off earlier with still making a good gain but at least when hedging ones bets half of the outcome is always going to be good