sharetrader
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    The Demio is probably the most stolen car mainly because it's easy to steal because it doesn't have a coded key
    Excuse me - but i much prefer to thimk it is the most liked car because if its eye catching appeal and quality features alongside japanese reliability.

Unlike these euros where new owners expirience the thrill of depreciation at a rate similar to a BASE jumper, maintenance costs similar to a third wife and the warmth of mutual admiration of fellow cardy wearing lawn bowlers.

Refilled this week and reset trip meter and did a local trip, then 25km open road, 25kn around hamilton stop start and 25km open road again. 7.3 was the number at the end but on filling it actually was half a liter per 100km better off than what the trip meter said.

I accept buying a euro there's a cost. 33% of that is offset via business claim and I have other reasons for choosing this happily accepting to pros and cons but agree it's not for everyone minimoke. We all live to our means and I like a car of a certain level and practicality and clever enough to make a considered decision which includes making a professional statement. As for BASE jumping, leave that to those that have bigger ones than me lol

I think when you've worked hard for most of your life and got a few quid behind you enjoying some of the quality / nicer things in life is a well earned privilege. Each to their own though, some of the nicest people I know drive very old plain Jane vehicles.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Trying to get outta here

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Excuse me - but i much prefer to thimk it is the most liked car because if its eye catching appeal and quality features alongside japanese reliability.

Unlike these euros where new owners expirience the thrill of depreciation at a rate similar to a BASE jumper, maintenance costs similar to a third wife and the warmth of mutual admiration of fellow cardy wearing lawn bowlers.
    Actually if want the most reliable, efficient small run around, then you can't go past a Demio. Bought our daughter a 2006 model instead of paying for her wedding(Very practical young lady) 5 years ago, and it's never cost her a cent outside normal servicing(I do that for her,so it still doesn't cost her) PS-Roger the old 94 Suzuki flew through it's warrant again yesterday, 314k on the clock now, current tyres have done over 100k so gives it a bit of a hard ride, I'm sure you'll enjoy that next week mate.
    Last edited by couta1; 21-04-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Actually if want the most reliable, efficient small run around, then you can't go past a Demio. Bought our daughter a 2006 model instead of paying for her wedding(Very practical young lady) 5 years ago, and it's never cost her a cent outside normal servicing(I do that for her,so it still doesn't cost her) PS-Roger the old 94 Suzuki flew through it's warrant again yesterday, 314k on the clock now, current tyres have done over 100k so gives it a bit of a hard ride, I'm sure you'll enjoy that next week mate.
    My wife tells me its very good for the soul to eat humble pie in regard to vehicles from time to time

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    My wife tells me its very good for the soul to eat humble pie in regard to vehicles from time to time
    I'd say all the time, and not just the soul.

Well I'm only 45. Had to decide to retire last year or keep the finger in the work pie. Took the latter option hence the car. If the former was decided it wouldn't have given the ability to enjoy a more financially free retirement and to be honest a lot of it just came down to the fact I felt too young to sit back but I will manage a far better work life balance than I had til now.

We live a fairly modest lifestyle and this car is a rare indulgence and as roger knows I got it for a very sharp price, enough to cover the first years depreciation I expect.

I have seen many work too hard too long and fail to reap the rewards. For now, I think the balance is right and we still have a 2009 odyssey. Sold the jazz with 54k on the clock and other than a set of Reyes not a dollar was spent on it other than servicing.

Work life balance involves the next three days at cooks beach. Got the long line in the water. Kids playing in the sand and me thinking about fresh fish for dinner.

Night all

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Our aging Mercedes S Class diesel is coming up ten years old in August but has always only really been a weekend vehicle so only done 74,000 km's.
    Worth very little as a trade-in, probably only $20K and after spending $6,000 on deep cycle maintenance items....
    sounds like you have been driving around Depreciation Point and gone off a cliff

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Actually if want the most reliable, efficient small run around, then you can't go past a Demio. Bought our daughter a 2006 model instead of paying for her wedding(Very practical young lady) 5 years ago, and it's never cost her a cent outside normal servicing(I do that for her,so it still doesn't cost her)2:
    That was actually my plan. Except i had a bit more cunning- the idea being that when the spawn of my loins crashed a car (as i knew would inevitably happen - its in the genes) around town it would be in a cheap but safe clunker. Plan fell to bits this weekend. While we were away son back from uni for a week and takes my car out and sure as eggs crashes that instead. Only positive is that i will have the Demio to drive while it gets fixed

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    sounds like you have been driving around Depreciation Point and gone off a cliff
    Base jumping with no parachute LOL. I had a dream as a younger man to one day own a brand new top of the line Mercedes-Benz. I was going to buy a new E Class but I figured you might as well be shorn for a sheep as a lamb so started at the top (This was pre GFC thinking, no way I'd spend money like that now). The day you stop dreaming you stop living I reckon. That said, the reality didn't quite live up to the dream but it's still a superb bit of kit.

Thing is if your starting price point is only half an S Class like the XC-90 is, (but probably 90-95% of the quality and 150% of the practicality and versatility), then in the long run its a far better proposition from all angles including only getting smacked half as hard on depreciation.
    I think that's what's attracted me to the XC-90 especially after reading Jeremy Clarkson's review. He'll generally find any flaw there is to be found in a vehicle, although his reviews naturally contain 5 tones of bias, (I do so much love his political incorrectness), in this case his opinion lines up with the XC-90 winning a ton of international awards from a wide spectrum of motoring publications.

I think wd's made a good choice, might follow suit when the time's right, unless something better is released in the meantime
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Trying to get outta here

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Well I'm only 45. Had to decide to retire last year or keep the finger in the work pie. Took the latter option hence the car. If the former was decided it wouldn't have given the ability to enjoy a more financially free retirement and to be honest a lot of it just came down to the fact I felt too young to sit back but I will manage a far better work life balance than I had til now.

We live a fairly modest lifestyle and this car is a rare indulgence and as roger knows I got it for a very sharp price, enough to cover the first years depreciation I expect.

I have seen many work too hard too long and fail to reap the rewards. For now, I think the balance is right and we still have a 2009 odyssey. Sold the jazz with 54k on the clock and other than a set of Reyes not a dollar was spent on it other than servicing.

Work life balance involves the next three days at cooks beach. Got the long line in the water. Kids playing in the sand and me thinking about fresh fish for dinner.

Night all
    Good on you Wd, enjoying the fruit of your labour and your family sounds pretty good to me. Although I drive around in an old Suzuki, I have had my hot rod years. Once owned one of the most extreme street machines in NZ,and i still have my old Jag with the 572ci big block(That's 9.3 litres) which isn't exactly a slug.

Advanced Member

I drive a car that suits me... With my eye's on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    A lot of the reason I went with the diesel was Volvo's known to make good ones and they have been doing so for decades.

I did more research than I normally do before buying this including the negative aspects when they first came out and software issues like any new system which would require thousands of cars and real time conditions to tweak to a happy place.

Parts - get them from aussie or the UK, already bought the roof racks from the UK including postage for less than $400 compared to our $600 here, the stainless bumper protector strip here is $363 but $200 in aussie from a Volvo dealer, I dont like getting robbed and refuse to pay more than what is reasonable and as such simply jump online and have things sent.

The updates can be done via wifi and not needing a service department so hopefully some of the pitfalls of a euro are mitigated to some degree.

Its a real barrier that Volvo NZ need to start considering, middle class NZ is growing but they are not careless with their money, we simply shouldn't have to pay nearly double what other countries are charging particularly when its as close as Australia.

Go on Roger, talk the mrs into one, it really is a car that measures up in every way and bang for buck vs the Q7 and BMW, hands down a better car.
    I would say those that are middle class in NZ who often buy Euros are often private school parents and older..given how much real wealth few have accumulated I would say they are careful on the small spending rather than the larger status items...property and wheels. So not that careful.

Having said that i suspect many here have accumulated a substantial amount...instead of being frugal should actually live a little, we all only live once and time is relentless.

Possibly I spend to much time with americans and kiwi's like to be understated..if it does not compromise you financial plan for independence I say do it, spend it..live life large and to the full. Why all this frugal stuff...

If you like cars you are missing out if you don't have a few performance MVs
    Last edited by Raz; 21-04-2017 at 11:36 PM.

There are so many variables, we live in a semi rural town with a house worth less than most city folk but large by comparison. As such the ability to be mortgage free is with substantially less burden and as such giving the ability to spend more on a car. I am not rich, I have worked all my life, made good choices and sacrifices and I guess some luck along the way but if we lived in Auckland I am certain we wouldn't have the financial freedom we have now with the debt levels required to buy a home.

For a large part of my working days I saw too often the indiscriminate and devastating nature that life can bring whether it be trauma or medical related issues but it certainly changes ones perspectives and influences thought processes including buying cars that are as safe as possible and enjoying life as much as you can with a balance of financial forward planning but not to the point of frugal sacrifice limiting the ability to live and enjoy as much as you can.

Its clear there are some that share the philosophy of enjoy and some that think spending this much on a car is irresponsible but its all planned out and incorporates a well thought out 4 year plan.

Couta, the temptation to get a supercharged V8 is a hard one to not daydream about on occasion haha, one day perhaps ��

5 snapper on the long line, a couple of bourbons and family time over a weekend where the thoughts of a historic war weigh on ones mind, all with the possibility of WW3 brewing in the background.......

Beautiful day put there, enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I would say those that are middle class in NZ who often buy Euros are often private school parents and older..given how much real wealth few have accumulated I would say they are careful on the small spending rather than the larger status items...property and wheels. So not that careful.

Having said that i suspect many here have accumulated a substantial amount...instead of being frugal should actually live a little, we all only live once and time is relentless.

Possibly I spend to much time with americans and kiwi's like to be understated..if it does not compromise you financial plan for independence I say do it, spend it..live life large and to the full. Why all this frugal stuff...

If you like cars you are missing out if you don't have a few performance MVs
    I agree. I know a few people with a few million that drive some pretty shabby old vehicles. I think a couple of things are at play here.
    1. They can't get out of their lifelong habit of penny pinching.
    2. They don't understand / are in denial / haven't considered that if they are involved in a serious accident their 20 year old basic car without all the latest crash protection and safety systems is probably far more likely to render them a serious injury or death than a current model vehicle with all the latest safety systems like dynamic stability control, crash intrusion beams, ABS, EBD, curtain airbags e.t.c.e.t.c.

Even if you aren't a car enthusiast there's a compelling case to be made on a preservation basis for yourself and perhaps more importantly for one's family of at least driving a fairly modern vehicle with most of the latest safety systems.

If you have plenty of money why not give yourself and your family the benefit of a five star safety rated vehicle, even if it is some basic commodity type car like for example a current model Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.?

On the other side of the coin there's the keeping up appearances professional brigade who often live in Auckland's eastern suburbs.
    Mr and Mrs I must look good must both drive a current model European car, often leased with lease prices on some top line Euro cars topping $3,000 per month and by the time they pay for their 3 kids to go to private school at ~ $60,000 per annum and pay the bill on their interest only 1.5 million mortgage on their 2.5m property even on two incomes is it any wonder they struggle to manage their cash flow and have little in the way of retirement savings ?

Like all things its about finding the right balance and the right fit.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-04-2017 at 12:52 PM.