sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money...+February+2021

No surprise that Kiwi's in general are more comfortable driving than flying and that's certainly how Mrs B and I feel too.
    Although I'm not convinced that conclusion is based on an accurate assessment of the risks. Human behaviour is generally not rational when it comes to risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Although I'm not convinced that conclusion is based on an accurate assessment of the risks. Human behaviour is generally not rational when it comes to risk assessment.
    I think there's a pretty good body of evidence now that sitting in a cramped narrow aluminum tube with dozens and dozens of complete strangers in very, very close proximity is more risky than travelling by private car within one's own family bubble, at least that's how I see it.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I think there's a pretty good body of evidence now that sitting in a cramped narrow aluminum tube with dozens and dozens of complete strangers in very, very close proximity is more risky than travelling by private car within one's own family bubble, at least that's how I see it.
    Assuming domestic travel, perhaps if you narrowly focus on the danger of catching COVID-19, but even then the overall probability of catching COVID-19 is very low in NZ especially in well controlled environments. What we should be focusing on is the wider risk of death or serious injury, and motor vehicles have an overall higher risk of this.

Reading the news I see concerts and events with people in extremely close proximity for hours on end with no protection at all, yet we are collectively most concerned with public transport and aircraft.

Advanced Member

We very nearly booked a trip to Invercargill for this week to do a factory tour at Stabicraft boats and sea trial of that boat I posted a link for above. In hindsight I am very pleased Mrs B was very reluctant to fly.

Enjoyed that video, that's an impressive boat, ended up watching days 2 & 3 as well as the trip to Steward Island. Great part of NZ few get to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Assuming domestic travel, perhaps if you narrowly focus on the danger of catching COVID-19, but even then the overall probability of catching COVID-19 is very low in NZ especially in well controlled environments. What we should be focusing on is the wider risk of death or serious injury, and motor vehicles have an overall higher risk of this.

Reading the news I see concerts and events with people in extremely close proximity for hours on end with no protection at all, yet we are collectively most concerned with public transport and aircraft.
    That's very true and to be honest probably a fact that's easily overlooked in the current Covid environment.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Agree with much of your post Jaa but have a huge concern about how slow NZ is with vaccinations. While much of Europe and USA are aiming to have herd immunity through vaccinations by Q3 this year which will release a lot of the pent up travel demand, NZ has announced it will be 12 months from now that we have such herd immunity and borders will stay closed meanwhile. So none of the pent up demand will travel to NZ next summer potentially destroying a lot of tourist businesses and possibly whole towns like Queenstown, Akaroa, Franz Josef, Te Anau just to name a few that are really struggling
    Pfizer and the other producers have a moral obligation to send the vaccines where they are most needed. A few months late, but this is finally starting to happen with COVAX and other deliveres. Outside of the MIQ workforce and doctors/nurses NZ is a very low priority.

Every country wants to be first, but we should be very thankful NZ is in a position of low priority and thus can afford to wait in relative freedom.

Nothing to do with the nonsense Black "just a flu" Peter spouted. Still as cynically and dangerously wrong as he was this time in 2020.
    Last edited by Jaa; 01-03-2021 at 05:13 PM.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...VNMY2G2EFGZRY/

There will be some extremely worried passengers after this flight.

Whatever happened to stay home and get a test if you're not well. The level of irresponsibility by a small percentage of the population is deeply troubling.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Wow one wonders why they were allowed to leave AKL in first place under level 3 lock down. I'm confused.

Under level 3 you can rightly go home if you found yourself in Auckland but didn’t live there.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...VNMY2G2EFGZRY/

There will be some extremely worried passengers after this flight.

Whatever happened to stay home and get a test if you're not well. The level of irresponsibility by a small percentage of the population is deeply troubling.
    Tested negative apparently. Regardless of this, if the person was feeling that ill, then they had an obligation not to board in the first place.