sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Electric planes by 2030?
    Just proves this Climate Change Commision lot are living in cloud Cuckoo land...
    For these aircraft to be ready and certified for passenger service by then the prototypes should have already been produced and in a flight testing program...
    Where are they?
    Who's producing them?
    Fanciful stuff without any facts to back up these so called goals..
    uhh - there are plenty of electric planes already in various stages of development and testing, some of which are already shipping to customers.

in terms of New Zealand operators, Sounds air already has EV planes carrying 19 passengers on order for its short haul routes between the top of the South Island and lower north island routes.

Boeing & Airbus already have Large EV airliner designs, and are also testing hybrid models where 1-2 engines on existing models are replaced with electric engines. Also new operators like Wright Aerospace are working on a 800km range all EV airliner.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 10-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Can you please name these aircraft that are being delivered. State range and payload. Don't forget the 45 min reserve for commercial operations beyond the alternate airport. Are they type certified or experimental? More than 4 seats?

BTW on order for a design spec means nothing. Go ask the Eclipse 500 customers who lodged orders.

Airbus has dropped its project. Maybe another one could come. The C208eecteic demo can carry 3 or 4 pax 100miles not nm, no baggage. Pity about the other 16 seats and no bags and no reserve.

Argument that it can be short range is silly. An airport every 50 miles? Seriously interested in your info.

Guru

well perhaps each town will have new types of car parks with a lift that takes you air hover car plane and lifts you up to the take off pad on the roof and then stores your helli plane car...

car parks are rebuilt with automated car plane parks and lift off landing roof..

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...-boss#comments

Is this reported right or fuzzy logic? I believed business class margin provided the underlying profitability/cost recovery of a international flight historically, therefore it also subsidised the price other seats could be offered on a plane. So if their demand falls for business class then to maintain a profitable flight the margin needs to recovered over the others seats...

Still 2-3 years away a new normal...if that is the industry expectation, may explain the delay on capital raising...

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    uhh - there are plenty of electric planes already in various stages of development and testing, some of which are already shipping to customers.

in terms of New Zealand operators, Sounds air already has EV planes carrying 19 passengers on order for its short haul routes between the top of the South Island and lower north island routes.
    These short-haul planes have an initial delivery date of 2026 (if I remember correctly), and that's is assuming all goes to plan. No word on the infrastructure upgrades required at the airport (charging, fire protection etc.) With only 19 seats and with a no doubt high capital cost compared to conventional aircraft, it will be interesting to see what price point fares will need to remain profitable.

IMO the timeline of 2030 is still too tight, especially when we're competing with the rest of the world for these types of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...-boss#comments

Is this reported right or fuzzy logic? I believed business class margin provided the underlying profitability/cost recovery of a international flight historically, therefore it also subsidised the price other seats could be offered on a plane. So if their demand falls for business class then to maintain a profitable flight the margin needs to recovered over the others seats...

Still 2-3 years away a new normal...if that is the industry expectation, may explain the delay on capital raising...
    Carbon offsets and biofuel will certainly push all classes of fares upward. Perhaps we're going back to the golden days of travel, but this time it's the 1960's.

I notice airline demand is surging North America and the UK where the vaccine role-out is 6(ish) months ahead of us. Any opportunities for AIR in the interim?

Foreign airlines betting big on travel recovery:
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ws-2021-06-10/

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Still all a bit quiet on their capital raise......
    I have been thinking the something. Haven't heard any updates on the capital raise. Had previously read they have put it on hold until September?

Anybody know anything more about this?

Would it be fair to assume the SP is stuck around the 1.6 range as shareholders and investors are waiting to see what the offer is for the Capital Raise? Any guess's?

Fair value on AIR, in my opinion, is well under $1. In my opinion the only investment strategy worth pursuing with AIR at present is to avoid the share or short it.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Fair value on AIR, in my opinion, is well under $1. In my opinion the only investment strategy worth pursuing with AIR at present is to avoid the share or short it.
    My guess is that AirNZ will allocate Capital Raise to be set at ~1.60. SP will likely be in the 1.75 to 1.85 range by then. I wish we had loaded up the portfolio more back when SP dipped and was only $1 !