sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

My short take profit was hit at 2.90 - 35c taken on that. As a trader (at this point) I'm happy enough with that.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Business / first class has a greater carbon foot print per passenger

Do away with this segregation and cram a few more passengers into that space wouldmake them more fuel efficient and lower carbon emissions (per passenger)

dont think likes of Raz would agree
    Interesting, no one here would speak for others here would they:-) Yes naturally mathematically it would help with carbon emission, also the higher incidents of DTV would also assist with population control. What a grand plan.

As an side benefit my wife and daughter would never fly anymore which would save me a great deal.

This week went to Sydney for the night to see Sam Smith at the Sydney Opera House, great stuff, ex Auckland via 787 out, business class they liked.. the AIR fight back was held up in Queenstown with mechanical issues last night and therefore they bumped most of the flight to one of those Hi-fly planes.. no comparison plane or staff. That nearly put them off flying for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Almost all of then are doing it now, cramming in more and more passengers into smaller and smaller tighter spaces. Customers are possibly their own worst enemies here as they're the ones driving the demand for more efficiencies. As an example earlier this week through Flight Centre AIR are desperate enough to be advertising return flights to Europe for as low as $1,399 for travel later this year. I got to thinking that its always traditionally cost about $2,000 - $2,500 to fly to Europe over the last 30 or 40 years economy class. Prices have therefore in inflation adjusted terms never ever been cheaper, so perhaps its airlines who are their own worst enemy as they pass on all of the savings of more efficient aircraft and more compressed seating configurations.

I am sure we all long for the good old days when there was heaps of legroom and flying was a romantic experience with truly great inflight service.
    Interestingly I went on too the Reserve Bank's inflation calculator to compare a $2,500 economy class flight in 1978 forty years ago with what we should in theory be paying if the real cost hadn't changed and the figure is ~ $16,500. Emirates will fly you return business class to London for less than half that. My thoughts are that the good old days remain its just that you have to pay a proper price to enjoy them. Maybe people who value their health and want far less chance of DVT need to ante-up with their travel budget a bit ? AIR's business class is a lot more than Emirates to London, go figure on that one ?
    Yes, my brother will always go for the cheapest on everything..super frugal..was booking one of the Chinese airlines for three trips to London this year..his cheapest fare was under $1000 return. My pick would be Singapore airlines on one of the older 777s, old style seating means more space and decent service in economy...closest you will get to old world economy, around $1,800 return in May to see a royal wedding...

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Yes, my brother will always go for the cheapest on everything..super frugal..was booking one of the Chinese airlines for three trips to London this year..his cheapest fare was under $1000 return. My pick would be Singapore airlines on one of the older 777s, old style seating means more space and decent service in economy...closest you will get to old world economy, around $1,800 return in May to see a royal wedding...
    That's amazing..under a $1,000 to London return. Those Chinese owned carriers must be paying their crew a mere pittance to be able to do that at the current fuel prices.
    I agree with your prognosis. Older style seating configuration on Singapore airlines with wider seats at 19 inches and more legroom than most premium economy seats these days. Trust a hound with fat buttocks to know these things Otherwise Emirates economy as we've discussed before on their A380's. They were doing $1,599 return to many European airports the other day shoulder season. Value for money is off the charts...wish nice European hotels would follow suit
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-01-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Missed by that much

I recall an add from Air New Zealand (or was it still called TEAL) in the mid 1960s where they advertised "Any destination for only 6d per mile". That made a one way trip to London £600 or $1200. So not any major change over ther years
    Last edited by Jantar; 18-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I recall an add from Air New Zealand (or was it still called TEAL) in the mid 1960s where they advertised "Any destination for only 6d per mile". That made a one way trip to London £600 or $1200. So not any major change over ther years
    If you totally ignore inflation ....

under 3 been saying it for a while , imagine it will be under 2 at some stage of the cycle again. im seeing 80 brent this yr as a guess
    one step ahead of the herd

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    under 3 been saying it for a while , imagine it will be under 2 at some stage of the cycle again. im seeing 80 brent this yr as a guess
    Ignore the TA, suffer the consequences. This has for some time been vulnerable, but re-enforced recently by the technical price breakdown. It's a waiting game, preferably on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Couldn't help myself and looked up the RBNZ calculator. There must have been some really serious inflation at some stage because $1 in early 1965 in inflation adjusted terms is now $39.32 so that $1,200 fare back then would be the same as paying $47,000 return to London now
    I recall visiting Te Papa a year or two ago when AIR had their excellent exhibition to celebrate their 75th anniversary of commencement of operations as Teal. It took nine hours for those first flying boats to fly to Sydney and cost half a years wages of the average worker at the time for a return flight, now just two days wages. Graphically sheeted home to me how the real cost of flying has so dramatically reduced over the years.
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-01-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Can travel to Barcelona from Auckland return in May for 1100 dollars, that is including all taxes. Air China Takes 46 hours to get there but it is a pretty hot price, and Spain is great in May.
    Last edited by ratkin; 19-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.