sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    Fran O'Sullivan: Grant Robertson tightens Government's grip on Air New Zealand
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12434610
    Again this is premium. But I've never owned Air as Ive always thought as overpriced and a tip I was once told was never own a airline.
    But this kinda tells me the government want them to sacrifice profit for the good of the country. I don't see how air nz can proceed as overly profitable with the government putting there claws in
    Spoiler alert : They want the same for every other business, too. Just watch.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Guru

Never buy an air line until the dividend is so temping you jion Buffet at the buffet and then oh dear. Did not even throw up at the lose.

well o'sullivan says its a shocker... still after the cap raise it might be worth a trade.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 10-04-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    Never buy an air line until the dividend is so temping you jion Buffet at the buffet and then oh dear. Did not even throw up at the lose.

well o'sullivan says its a shocker... still after the cap raise it might be worth a trade.

just the first 5 words are good enough I think ..

The government want something from the 1.5B sunk cost over and above already owning half.
    People be shocked?
    They should have bailed Air NZ into it's parts at Ansett bailout. A competitive free market or some such.
    Right now AIR are a govt department, not something I aspire to own personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    That would also depend on how many times the tap is turned off due to an outbreak in one of the bubble countries/states. I think their projections are overly optimistic at this point, unless the projection horizon is a single day.
    It's clearly a risk. I thought domestic demand would be affected by the Auckland outbreaks but they only had a short term effect.

There's a lot of pent up demand and flight credits to be used. Fantastic for separated families. So that will be the first few months, then if all goes well the general public will gain confidence. Lets hope it works out for everyone concerned.
    Last edited by Jaa; 12-04-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    It's clearly a risk. I thought domestic demand would be affected by the Auckland outbreaks but they only had a short term effect.

There's a lot of pent up demand and flight credits to be used. Fantastic for separated families. So that will be the first few months, then if all goes well the general public will gain confidence. Lets hope it works out for everyone concerned.

As I mentioned over on FPH thread, there's growing awareness in the US ( & will happen everywhere) that the priority has been to vaccinate everyone who wants to get vaccinated & they will reach that goal sometime later this year, but that's not going to be enough to reach herd immunity.
    The hard part comes when they have to try & vaccinate those resistant to vaccinations & the wait & see's. In other words, they're going to hit a vaccination wall before they're able to eradicate Covid.
    Going to complicate international travel esp tourism without quarantine.
    Vaccination passports?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    As I mentioned over on FPH thread, there's growing awareness in the US ( & will happen everywhere) that the priority has been to vaccinate everyone who wants to get vaccinated & they will reach that goal sometime later this year, but that's not going to be enough to reach herd immunity.
    The hard part comes when they have to try & vaccinate those resistant to vaccinations & the wait & see's. In other words, they're going to hit a vaccination wall before they're able to eradicate Covid.
    Vaccination passports?
    Vaccination Passports is going to be an issue, unless everyone gets on board. Unfortunately the Land of the Freedumbs (various United States state governments) have already put paid to that idea by making it illegal for the state to produce documentation that can be used to refuse service based on vaccination status, and/or for the state to discriminate against unvaccinated individuals, and/or for private businesses to discriminate against unvaccinated individuals.

Sure, NZ could require that all people boarding have proof of vaccination, but that would mean holding out a sign saying "Americans Need Not Apply".

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    Sure, NZ could require that all people boarding have proof of vaccination, but that would mean holding out a sign saying "Americans Need Not Apply".
    The law doesn't stop US citizens from applying for a vaccination passport though, and if this programme was administered through the federal instead of state government, it's likely IMO that we would see some inbound tourism from savvy vaccinated US citizens as well as other countries embracing the passport system.

Grant Robertson's Air New Zealand letter puts airline board 'in invidious position': National

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...FXORPNZ5UO7YA/

For those wondering, the letter suggests that the government wants to be involved in selecting Directors, that routes must be kept open, that the industrial policy designed to ensure that it is not disruptive, and generally expect much higher levels of engagement with the government in the operation of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Vaccination passports?
    Vaccination passports are a non-starter. Too easy to fake. See the investigation into COVID pre-departure tests out of India.

NZ has chosen to only vaccinate with the gold standard Pfizer/Bio n Tech vaccine, which is another fantastic decision by the Labour government. Not everyone in the world is so lucky. Lots of other vaccines with varying effective rates against various strains being taken by people. Even the head of the Chinese CDC has said as much. Better than nothing so long as they are safe but good enough for entry into NZ?

Doesn't really matter if the US runs out of people to vaccinate, plenty of other takers out there (and in NZ). Pfizer can only make 2B doses a year. And of course still no vaccines certified for children so that pool of potential infections will continue for a couple of years.

My guess is international travel will remain complicated and quarantine necessary for at least another year. Thus Aus-NZ travel will look increasingly attractive. Just as domestic NZ travel did over summer.