sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

ATR's actually have a flying range of 1500km and Air Tahiti run theirs non stop from Pape'te to Nuku Hiva, a distance of 1400km. Perhaps Mr Dore should ponder this on his next flight between WGTN and ChCh, stop bleeting and be thankful

Boarding time and exit time on the A320 is longer than the ATR, plus the time to go through security screening (not required on the ATR). Unloading time of the ATR is less than the A320 (fewer bags). Total time from dropoff at Wellington to taxi rank at Christchurch is about the same A320 or ATR. I would rather have the frequency of flights to suit my timetable rather than try and fit in with less flights. Seating on the ATR is fine for 60 minutes and there are none of the dreaded middle seats such as on the A320.
    Last edited by Robomo; 12-02-2017 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, it seems the current generation of travellers has gone soft. Obviously they weren't around to fly in NAC's DC3's or the state of the art, at the time, Vickers Viscounts!

I flew to Oamaru in 1973. The first part of flight from Auckland to Christchurch was exciting on a jet plane, and it had a jet motor on each wing, and went really fast, not sure what sort of plane it was. The second part of the trip from ChCh. to Oam. was on a DC3, what a laugh, but a good experience. Think there were only a very few of us on the DC3, less than 4 people from memory.

Remember those DC-10s, the 3 engine job with the third engine mounted on the tail.

Air New Zealand had a bad experience with one of those planes
    Last edited by winner69; 12-02-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Probably be lumbered with one of those ATR jobs next week going to springsteen in Chch

With a bit luck might even score seat 1A

But for $59 can't really complain
    Last edited by winner69; 12-02-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Remember those DC-10s, the 3 engine job with the third engine mounted on the tail.

DC-10s had an under belly stretching problem, and the cargo door used to pop off in flight, due to the force of the tail engine stretching the underside. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by see weed; 12-02-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Spoken like a true accountant and loyal AIR shareholder.

Raz seems to agree with Mr Dore and he seems a pretty reasonable guy

Flight time might only be 10 minutes more but actual travel time is more like 1/2 hour.

I understand the economics of it and just highlight the psychology of customers. Its alway worse having a service degraded than never having had it at all at that standard. People accept one element of change however in this case there is several factors that are grating people that all changed at once..I know a number a people are really bitter and twisted by it!

It cost AIR in other ways..like how people decide/do long haul ex Christchurch and Wellington. So it can cost brand value in return for what for now appears bottom line advantage... the tradeoff is the premium AIR can get long haul. It doesn't worry me as I send an underling to Wellington and just don't visit.

Swiss Air (code share singapore airlines direct out of chch) has my private dollars for a family reunion mid year and I hear budget conscience and young people are doing EU via China Southern... prices under 1k return to EU including free hotel if layover is great than eight hours... is popular..as a mini stop over. I'm hearing very little good on the 787 configuration with most airlines including ours. AIR will not be able to maintain a premium price if it is not going to present a premium product offering. Prices have taken another step down..watching very closely...

This code share subsidy thing is interesting ..going with star alliance partners is so much cheaper than booking direct with Singapore airlines..yet you get in essence the same product.
    Last edited by Raz; 12-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.

I remember being a little boy at Auckland airport when they were grounded.. just before we left wondering if I would ever get to do my first big overseas trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I remember being a little boy at Auckland airport when they were grounded.. just before we left wondering if I would ever get to do my first big overseas trip!
    I flew back from Hong Kong on one shortly after one crashed - most passengers bailed and wouldn't fly on a DC-10 so plane was pretty empty - a whole row to myself was good.

Banned

Raz some people you know may very well be bitter and twisted by the changes,but going by 90% of the comments on stuff in response to the article, most people are happy to use the ATR on a short route. PS-You know the old saying, you can please some of the people most of the time ,but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Last edited by couta1; 12-02-2017 at 06:25 PM.