sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Those dorky brokers who churned their client discretionaries have been caught with their pants down (again)
    the uptrend identified from 2.02 cum HY and SPEC divs remains in force - higher highs and lower lows (yes I know the last low went a cent lower, but do I really care?)

wot downtrend?

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    I thinking this rather steep rise has the feel of a bubble. Last time that happened we did a lemming dive to $1:80-ish

Thoughts folks
    Big demand coming from overseas mate...have you checked the dividend yield of other regional carriers including Qantas and Virgin ? If you did you wouldn't be surprised at the demand from yield starved offshore investors.
    Notice that as soon as they've announced the 10 cent divvy, confirmed the mid point of guidance, (yes Winner I think they are playing this ultra conservatively) and pointed out capex is soon to fall off the edge of a cliff everyone's now thinking they can sustain their 20 cents annual dividends, (something I was at pains to highlight at quite some length many months ago). Where else do you get a sustainable 8.33% fully imputed (11.6% gross) divvy yield in the airline industry ?... and that with a 10 cent divvy in five minutes time so to speak !
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Whats this, went out to cut firewood and get back and it's up 5c. Will go out and cut some more wood and see if it hits 2.50 by close.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Whats this, went out to cut firewood and get back and it's up 5c. Will go out and cut some more wood and see if it hits 2.50 by close.
    LOL, we'll be ordering the most expensive drinks on the menu on Saturday if this keeps up Chop up a double lot more firewood please
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Annual visitor arrival numbers reached 3.5 million this January

It was only a few years ago we raved when they reached 3 million

Irrespective of how they got here not much choice how to do internal air travel if that's there way of getting around

Jetstar couldn't cope. .....but AIR will boom .....as share price rises to $3 plus
    Last edited by winner69; 01-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

So it finally hit my 2 4 target and where I value air nz. I have an average of 1.795

If I decide to sell it would not be based on my negative feelings towards air nz but my selfish feelings of taking the moola and running :-)

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Big demand coming from overseas mate...have you checked the dividend yield of other regional carriers including Qantas and Virgin ? If you did you wouldn't be surprised at the demand from yield starved offshore investors.
    Notice that as soon as they've announced the 10 cent divvy, confirmed the mid point of guidance, (yes Winner I think they are playing this ultra conservatively) and pointed out capex is soon to fall off the edge of a cliff everyone's now thinking they can sustain their 20 cents annual dividends, (something I was at pains to highlight at quite some length many months ago). Where else do you get a sustainable 8.33% fully imputed (11.6% gross) divvy yield in the airline industry ?... and that with a 10 cent divvy in five minutes time so to speak !
    It would be most interesting to know which country is generating the bulk of the purchases. Im using a small cluster of 6 machines running some models and so far the american data is looking... medium to low, Im not yet sure but the DOW and S&P upticks may be mostly confidence driven. ( realising that confidnce is a prerequisite for market activity anyway)

I think we "down under" have a more realistic market and for our size some distinct quality companies, Aussie included... as much as we like to harass them at times., and beat them in sport. I think being in a small environment like ours actually helps one to both develop and keep a competitive edge, you have to be on your toes ALL the time, you cant let the giant market size/too big to fail, mentality of over there carry you along.

Any one else seeing the AIA + THL + AIR dance routine, its almost symbiotic.

Im also seeing positive flow on effects for Cafe owners, Tourist adventure operations and Motels. I must start to quantify the wine and beer consumption figures..

Yet another Rant/plug: Someone with some ba??s to get behind a "Very Rapid Rail" system linking the tourist spots... if we are going to bring the tourists in then at least we could deliver the scenery we are famous for... NOT THE ******* Auckland motorway for 4 hours just to reach Bombay, which I had last week. How about air nz cutting the wings off a good sized plane and mounting wheeled bogeys..(laugh) If your going to do it then do it with Style
    Last edited by arc; 01-03-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Annual visitor arrival numbers reached 3.5 million this January

It was only a few years ago we raved when they reached 3 million

Irrespective of how they got here not much choice how to do internal air travel if that's there way of getting around

Jetstar couldn't cope. .....but AIR will boom .....as share price rises to $3 plus
    Watching with interest and amusement :-)

Firstly a lot more tourist are travelling around Auckland and surrounds than coming south this year. Queenstown is running on lower occupancy than last year while most tours are coming down the west coast of the SI which is consisting of EU and US tourist, not many from asia. So I don't believe domestic demand for flying is as great as the increase in tourist numbers would indicate.

I found it very interesting the AIR management is more confident in 2018 as i had expected competition to show more in the first half of 2018 as i note unadvertised discounting on international routes more frequent to date and to even a lower price level than last year. Sill discounting provides no indication of volume available. It has been a great forward indicator that I have used for trading in the past however the relationship I have observed may have been broken.

Heavy overweight in AIR even though I have started to sell my trading position acquired for the dividend play. Investment parcel will be held for now.
    Last edited by Raz; 01-03-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonmaklad View Post
    So it finally hit my 2 4 target and where I value air nz. I have an average of 1.795

If I decide to sell it would not be based on my negative feelings towards air nz but my selfish feelings of taking the moola and running :-)
    Why not take a mixed approach..you can take the dividend and more in the price movement for at least part of you parcel if you are happy with the payout.

Anyone else notice today's breakout over $2.40 was on massive volume, five million shares ! No TA expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think the volume and $2.40 breakout are significant factors from a TA perspective. Disc Holding for long term dividend yield.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2017 at 11:01 PM.