sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The fancy pants title probably came with a further pay rise Yes he misses the divvy and average sale price was $2.31 so maybe not quite such good timing this time.
    Yes they seemed to pick the right time to sell last time, (management in general). A series of these announcements would be a little disconcerting but as I am holding a core portfolio position primarily for long term dividend income I am happy to ride the aircoaster long term with seatbelt firmly fastened, tray table folded away and motion sickness pills on standby

You know a string of announcements will follow at some point as they enable a culture to cash out regardless of the reason. It just creates a lot more uncertainty to the market which works against investors. It certainly is a negative point in my view to AIR.

Agreed, there will be a significant portion of traders that had been burnt over the last while.. I think it'll be a slow process to get back to the $3 stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    You know a string of announcements will follow at some point as they enable a culture to cash out regardless of the reason. It just creates a lot more uncertainty to the market which works against investors. It certainly is a negative point in my view to AIR.
    Agreed. To be fair, (and I know we've discussed this before), looking from the top, Chris Luxon's base salary at around $1.5m Kiwi, (going off memory) is pretty modest for a company of that size with 11,000 employees so senior management's remuneration package is deliberately designed to be incentive based depending upon the financial performance of the company so to quite a degree their interests are indeed aligned with shareholders. The other point is would you invest most of your money in the same company that employs you if you were in their shoes ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Agreed. To be fair, (and I know we've discussed this before), looking from the top, Chris Luxon's base salary at around $1.5m Kiwi, (going off memory) is pretty modest for a company of that size with 11,000 employees so senior management's remuneration package is deliberately designed to be incentive based depending upon the financial performance of the company so to quite a degree their interests are indeed aligned with shareholders. The other point is would you invest most of your money in the same company that employs you if you were in their shoes ?

When I was in executive role in the US we had heavy internal cultural pressure not to sell and no one really did unless it was an extreme personal situation...same deal with a few boards been on the AIM secondary market in the UK. I can think of only one occasion that did occur and he talked to the CEO who in turn talked to the Board before it happened. Still base salaries were higher as you mention, 1.5 million hardly gets you anything substantial in executive roles. In the fortune 500 company it was the market perception while with the others it was the same however also a lot less liquid market, with a company on the up..why sell.

Having said that Air NZ is not internationally a big company with a lack of volume on shares and overall shareholding movement. Personally their remuneration policy seems a little out of balance and although not intended last year a few sell offs by executives of approx. 400k shares was substantial in relation to daily volume and personally believe had a disproportionate effect on the market at a key pivot point in price. Hardly aligned with investors.

Have a great weekend..feel for me I have to spend in it all in Auckland -)

Annual Report has Chris's 2016 total remuneration at $4.7m of which $1.5m in performance rights remain at risk

The leadership team share ot about $16m between themselves
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Base salary $1.47m, short term incentive $1.6m, (who can complain when they made $800m before tax in 2016), and the $1.5m in performance rights.
    He had the conviction of his beliefs to stand up to the other directors and CEO of Virgin and returned 25 cents per share of capital to shareholders, money that would otherwise be invested in a non performing pup.
    I'd say he well and truly earned his keep in 2016.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Just a little reminder, you have until 5pm to get your full of AIR shares, to receive the big juicy 10c div.

Is it the 10th already?? my watch is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Just a little reminder, you have until 5pm to get your full of AIR shares, to receive the big juicy 10c div.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    Is it the 10th already?? my watch is wrong.
    ex divy is 9th

https://nzx.com/markets/NZSX/securities/AIR/dividends