sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Same question comes up every single dividend, we should have a sticky post to explain this
    Share Investing 101, everyone should know it off by heart within a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    seeweed's logic defies me. A loss that has happened and can be used against your profits is one thing but to hope and achieve a cash loss to reduce your tax is the quickest way to lose money.
    I 100% agree. I would love my tax bill to be huge because that would mean I've had a great year. I can't imagine myself willing a stock price to go down so I can lose money and therefore pay less tax.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    seeweed's logic defies me. A loss that has happened and can be used against your profits is one thing but to hope and achieve a cash loss to reduce your tax is the quickest way to lose money.
    I often admire SW's skills in stock picking skills and market timing, however his type of short term trading and resulting tax complications are the reasons I stick to long term investment decisions.

Every year that I do not hear from the IRD is a good year for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    I often admire SW's skills in stock picking skills and market timing, however his type of short term trading and resulting tax complications are the reasons I stick to long term investment decisions.

Every year that I do not hear from the IRD is a good year for me!
    AIR is actually one of the simpler stocks to pick for trading...I pay a heap of tax and thats the only way to successfully trade.

The shares have dropped 10 cents after going ex a 10 cent dividend, exactly what common sense would suggest and are clearly noted in the trading system as trading ex dividend.
    AIR pays its dividends very promptly, something other companies would do well to try and emulate.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The shares have dropped 10 cents after going ex a 10 cent dividend, exactly what common sense would suggest and are clearly noted in the trading system as trading ex dividend.
    AIR pays its dividends very promptly, something other companies would do well to try and emulate.
    Exactly, you get the divvy in your account by next Friday. Don't think any other company on NZX pays divvy with such short turnaround time. Looks like most of early losses are fully recovered, expecting this to push back to 240s range soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Exactly, you get the divvy in your account by next Friday. Don't think any other company on NZX pays divvy with such short turnaround time. Looks like most of early losses are fully recovered, expecting this to push back to 240s range soon.
    The fact that the government is the major shareholder has nothing whatsoever to do with this highly unusual super prompt payment system AIR uses

I've posted many times on here regarding my theory regarding share price recovery of dividends paid. Usually within a few weeks, if its a gargantuan one like the 35 cents last year it can take 2-3 times longer as was the case last year. Selling any share cum dividend and hoping it will drop more than the dividend in the short term is a "brave" call. The odds from the study I have seen are stacked pretty heavily against such a strategy being successful. I guess if people are adverse to more dividend income in the 2017 tax year because they're already well over $70,000 income and paying tax at 33% and the dividend is only imputed to 28%, (a resulting 5% tax impost) some sort of argument can be made for the above strategy but swimming against the tide can be hard work.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Hey seeweed - you should mosey over to WHS

A 10 cent divie in a few weeks - get that for $2.50 at the moment, probably cheaper tomorrow
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Oil getting cheaper. Stockpiles stockpiling. Still looks like it's a good time to own an airline.

Advanced Member

Yesterday,successfully sold 17000 at a $1363 loss, but sold another 31000 at $3202 profit. Cannot sell any more until after 31/3/17, because they in the green $37000 and will have to pay to much tax, but am looking forward to $14300 div. next week. Time to stock up on a bit of STU and a lot of SPK their div coming soon.
    Last edited by see weed; 10-03-2017 at 05:41 PM.