sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    So what you are saying, via your analogy, is that the govt ownership is having a restraining effect on prices.
    Or is it that it is the NZ ownership (as opposed to foreign ownership) that is having that?
    To former would imply the govt having more input into the running of the company than it does and the latter could be sorted with a limit % on ownership.

Also if this model is so good for AIR why isn't it used for other companies of national significance (like retirement villages etc)?
    The market dictates the prices. If they are so expensive, why is Jetstar not putting in more resources or another airline starting domestic operations.
    To your last statement, They do its called, "Social Welfare" "State Housing" What ever. My bias to this company will probably pass the moment I sell it's shares.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Take a look back in history and see what happened to AIR when Brierley Investments took a large controlling interest.
    Was not the best of times that one!

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    The market dictates the prices. If they are so expensive, why is Jetstar not putting in more resources or another airline starting domestic operations.
    To your last statement, They do its called, "Social Welfare" "State Housing" What ever. My bias to this company will probably pass the moment I sell it's shares.
    Hits the nail squarely on the head !
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-04-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

AIR I think have a big moat with all the facilities, infrastructure,brand, etc long established. I can't see how another airline can replicate this ; it would cost too much and take too long for not enough earnings.. Did Ansett try it out in the past and fail; sorry bit hazy there.Hey Roger , i poke at Aucklanders whenever i get the chance ; nothing personal thats why i put this in.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 05-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    AIR I think have a big moat with all the facilities, infrastructure,brand, etc long established. I can't see how another airline can replicate this ; it would cost too much and take too long for not enough earnings.. Did Ansett try it out in the past and fail; sorry bit hazy there.Hey Roger , i poke at Aucklanders whenever i get the chance ; nothing personal thats why i put this in.
    All good Joshuatree. Yes Ansett with their four engine BA146's had a go for quite a while.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Haha Malaysia Airlines really aren't that bad!
    http://www.avherald.com/h?article=483abb30&opt=0

AIR had something similar recently but their's was due huge windshear.
    Last edited by RTFQ; 06-04-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Because when they do, AIR lowers their prices, and forces them out again

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Because when they do, AIR lowers their prices, and forces them out again

Is protecting ones patch not good business????????