sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Not AIR, but bad look for United Airlines

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...lle/100274374/

Overbooked a flight, let everyone board, then decide that 4 passengers need to be offloaded, no one puts their hands up, so 4 chosen at random, one refuses, gets man handled off the flight...
    Appalling behaviour by United, they deserve all the negative publicity they will surely get - providing of course that the news report is correct.

Some years ago I was on an overbooked Qantas flight from Sydney to Auckland. They offered apologies, lounge access, free upgrade to business on the next flight (about 3 hours later on an Air NZ flight) and a voucher ($100 if I remember correctly). It was well done and I just managed to be one of the lucky ones happy to get an upgrade and $100, just for waiting 3 hours. I felt good about Qantas for a long time after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Not AIR, but bad look for United Airlines

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...lle/100274374/

Overbooked a flight, let everyone board, then decide that 4 passengers need to be offloaded, no one puts their hands up, so 4 chosen at random, one refuses, gets man handled off the flight...
    That is absolutely appalling and truly shocking. How do they think they can possibly get away with treating passengers that way ?
    I am sure this will go viral on the internet and news services around the world and cost United many millions in lost bookings and there will be a substantial compensation payment involved as well. I am sure the gentleman's lawyers will be salivating at the prospects of laying into United with a very significant lawsuit.
    Yet on a day that this is starting to go viral and oil is up and United's reputation is in the toilet their share price went up...go figure on that one ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    That is absolutely appalling and truly shocking. How do they think they can possibly get away with treating passengers that way ?
    I am sure this will go viral on the internet and news services around the world and cost United many millions in lost bookings and there will be a substantial compensation payment involved as well. I am sure the gentleman's lawyers will be salivating at the prospects of laying into United with a very significant lawsuit.
    Yet on a day that this is starting to go viral and oil is up and United's reputation is in the toilet their share price went up...go figure on that one ?
    Punters liked the 100% capacity number - share price up
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Punters liked the 100% capacity number - share price up
    Someone please pass me a sick bag, if that's the reason that's capitalism at its most ugly !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Last edited by RGR367; 11-04-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added the story line

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    United are stuffed!
    It will be a long road back to a happy PR place.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    United are stuffed!
    It will be a long road back to a happy PR place.
    Looks like they have a clear "customers first" policy, even if it is just to drag them first off the plane .

The resulting PR damage must go into the 6 digits or possibly millions (depending on how they play this from here). Hard to understand why they didn't just offer the first 4 volunteers say $1000 each to take the next plane - and everything would have been settled.

But I guess this way the created a lot of free PR for every other carrier ... priceless.

Discl: Flew United once (in 1995) and never used them since ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Someone please pass me a sick bag, if that's the reason that's capitalism at its most ugly !
    Isn't that how the world works these days ........

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Looks like they have a clear "customers first" policy, even if it is just to drag them first off the plane .

The resulting PR damage must go into the 6 digits or possibly millions (depending on how they play this from here). Hard to understand why they didn't just offer the first 4 volunteers say $1000 each to take the next plane - and everything would have been settled.

But I guess this way the created a lot of free PR for every other carrier ... priceless.

Discl: Flew United once (in 1995) and never used them since ...

This is what is offered but it still didn't get any takers.

"Passengers were told at the gate that the flight was overbooked and United, offering $400 and a hotel stay, was looking for one volunteer to take another flight to Louisville at 3 p.m. Monday. Passengers were allowed to board the flight, Bridges said, and once the flight was filled those on the plane were told that four people needed to give up their seats to stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville on Monday for a flight. Passengers were told that the flight would not take off until the United crew had seats, Bridges said, and the offer was increased to $800, but no one volunteered."

Funny world - some calling for the video taker to be arrested

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/stat...64111896989696