sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    AIR would actually be in a better position from a competitive point of view with its modern fleet with $70 oil.
    And that is a key - cheap oil allows airlines with thirsty planes to compete easier.
    If oil went back up many would stop flying some of the routes they do - competition would decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    FSM being Flight Services Manager - yes?
    Affirmative......

Default BA outage is burning money - big way!

https://www.ft.com/content/36f5f2dc-...7-59b4dd6296b8

This is not an AIR problem, but the recent interruptions for BA are a welcome reminder how easy it is in the airline industry to lose hundreds of millions literally over night through an "out of the blue" event. And its not even necessary for a plane to crash - sounds like BA didn't plan for sufficient backup power supplies for their IT systems (or they didn't work).

While we don't know the cost of the tab yet for BA, a much shorter and similar interruption for Delta (only 8 hours) accrued to a loss of $100m.

Maybe a high risk premium is appropriate for such an industry - just imagine the wrong power supply for an AIR computer browning out ....
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 29-05-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: modified header to make it clearer and fixed one number
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    https://www.ft.com/content/36f5f2dc-...7-59b4dd6296b8

This is not an AIR problem, but the recent interruptions for BA are a welcome reminder how easy it is in the airline industry to lose hundreds of millions literally over night through an "out of the blue" event. And its not even necessary for a plane to crash - sounds like BA didn't plan for sufficient backup power supplies for their IT systems (or they didn't work).

While we don't know the cost of the tab yet for BA, a much shorter and similar interruption for Delta (only 8 hours) accrued to a loss of $150m in profits.

Maybe a high risk premium is appropriate for such an industry - just imagine the wrong power supply for an AIR computer browning out ....
    A few years ago I had a tour of the AIR computing center and spent some time in interviews with various staff there, I was impressed with their thoughtful approach to mediating certain types of events, multiple cable entry/exit systems for the building, additional capacity wiring etc. I seem to remember backup diesel generators being a "standard" fixture for them.

Herbacious

Been there, done that:
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...BM-over-outage

I'm sure they learned from the experience (I'm equally sure that IBM learned as I'm pretty sure they lost the contract).
    Last edited by mondograss; 29-05-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Exclamation Many companies do not know whether their backups actually work

The questions for any business are
    where is your backup data center and/or where is disaster recovery data center?
    When did you last actually try to use it?

An IT power supply issue should not bring any company to it's knees!

Even I now have backup servers [in different countries] running my critical software.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 29-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Even I now have backup servers [in different countries] running my critical software.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Hopefully you also have backup access to those backup servers.
    This is all only as strong as the weakest link.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Red face Thank goodness for small mercies

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Hopefully you also have backup access to those backup servers.
    This is all only as strong as the weakest link.
    There is only one Paper Tiger.

Best Wishes
    The Weakest Link
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    There is only one Paper Tiger.

Best Wishes
    The Weakest Link
    True that.
    May point, in case it is missed, is that I have seen a lot of people do all sorts of things about data security and then find their company on its' knees because a cable was cut and they have lost Internet access.
    They then complain loudly but the fact remains that they didn't plan properly - they didn't understand what ran their business.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    True that.
    May point, in case it is missed, is that I have seen a lot of people do all sorts of things about data security and then find their company on its' knees because a cable was cut and they have lost Internet access.
    They then complain loudly but the fact remains that they didn't plan properly - they didn't understand what ran their business.
    Very true.
    And also when your supplier fails... as happened to Xero and many others, your up a creek...