sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Interesting article about percentage of foreign ownership at Air New Zealand.

"Outside of the government's 52 per cent stake just 9 per cent of Air New Zealand is now owned by individual and institutional Kiwi investors."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11890005

Globally, as I said still there are opportunities in industries such as Airlines, food, hotels and restaurants. So far airlines stocks such as Easyjet and Air New Zealand have done well in 2017.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 16-07-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Just flew into Shanghai on Air NZ. My partner got an upgrade (she had requested one), but luckily I had a whole row to myself in economy and to top it off it was a SKY Couch. Very pleasant experience, managed to get some sleep. However I am averagely tall and it just is not good enough to be able to lay flat out and so in normal circumstances I probably would not pay for it especially if I was with my partner as it would be too cramped. Staff were exceptional and nothing else to complain about. Bit of a worry to see this flight at about 70% capacity at a guess... but that may be normal? Just an anecdote for your AIR fans
    Flew to Timaru on Friday night. Flight was 104% capacity with 52 passengers on 50 seats (2 babies on laps!). AKL-WGN flight also full and standing room only in Auckland lounge. Honolulu-Auckland last week was full, could not get an upgrade to Premium Economy as all seats taken by full-fare paying passengers. All bodes well for an excellent financial result!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnluangco View Post
    Interesting article about percentage of foreign ownership at Air New Zealand.

"Outside of the government's 52 per cent stake just 9 per cent of Air New Zealand is now owned by individual and institutional Kiwi investors."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11890005
    This article just confirms what I've been saying for quite a while now, that kiwi Insto's don't like Air. It's easy to see why the price has risen so much, basically a diminishing pool of sellers for these overseas players to buy stock from, yet the retail fish seem to have been more than happy to ditch this stock compared with the power companies, which have a more loyal following by their kiwi holders. One good thing about this is, once the price tops out and the overseas players can't buy stuff all anymore, volatility will enter again and the Aircoaster will return, look forward to that. PS-Hope it's a real wild ride.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    the Aircoaster will return, look forward to that. PS-Hope it's a real wild ride.
    You will have to wait a while for your wish to come true. You may take a break from AIR fourms for now and check back in 3-4 months later again.

Chart wise looking solid. Next stop is 3.74 in next week or so
    Last edited by Eval; 16-07-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eval View Post
    You will have to wait a while for your wish to come true. You may take a break from AIR fourms for now and check back in 3-4 months later again
    About a week from now and then again a month after that, I'll be too busy flying down the slopes in Q/town to worry about forums. I'll be flying Air both times, but I don't really have a choice as Jetstar stopped flying that route around 3 years ago.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    About a week from now and then again a month after that, I'll be too busy flying down the slopes in Q/town to worry about forums. I'll be flying Air both times, but I don't really have a choice as Jetstar stopped flying that route around 3 years ago.
    If you are still reading, thank you for your support and flying AIR. Good read on front page of Business Herald this morning about AIR, overseas owners of about 39% up from 12% in the last 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    If you are still reading, thank you for your support and flying AIR. Good read on front page of Business Herald this morning about AIR, overseas owners of about 39% up from 12% in the last 4 months.
    "A lot of local fund managers don't like Air New Zealand," he said.

But Andrew Thompson, an associate at JBWere who puts together its annual report on foreign investment on the NZX, said from a global perspective Air New Zealand was seen as a well-run and respected airline.

👍👍👍

Interestingly the 4% retail shareholding and 5% N.Z. institutional holding was as at 31 March 2017, a total of ~ just 101m shares (1,123m x 9%)
    When AIR presented at the Maquarie investor day in Australia on 4 May 2017 the SP was just $2.60. https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/...rence-2017.pdf
    Based on information in that presentation average daily volume is 1.5m shares or in an average month of just over 20 trading days 30m per month or since 1 April 2017 about (3.5 months) approx. 105 million shares would have changed hands.

With broker analysts who as recently as 31 May 2017 had an average 12 month price target of just $2.19 on AIR and even now are only averaging just on ~ $2.80 one can only wonder about the paucity of shares outside of N.Z. Govt control that are now owned by Kiwi's and Kiwi based institutions ? I don't think many Kiwi's understand the brand value of AIR. That core parochial instinct to sometimes want to back one's own team. In a world where many pilots are now being predominantly trained on flight simulators perhaps at a subliminal level, (especially landing at Wellington or Queenstown into a big storm), perhaps Kiwi's trust Air New Zealand pilots who they know have been trained the Kiwi way ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-07-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

I think it is simply overseas investors believe in The honourable John Key. Since that announcement the share price took off..... not taking away from the spotlight that this is a great company run extremely well!! I do think politically, that John is a trusted and a well liked politician by overseas investors. I would not invest at these prices into the company, as if something goes wrong in the world airlines stocks generally get dumped in a hurry.

not holding this stock so do your own research.