sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Cynically I wonder if this is pretend stuff with main aim to make more money. Good story though.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/975...rounded-planes

Give AIR some credit though - they have some pretty well thought of people on their Sustainability Council. Sort of suggests they do take sustainability seriously .. but profits still fitRst I fear.

Like the comment about AIR being good at recycling (useless) Prime Minister who was well past his use by date
    Just a lovely feel good public relations exercise designed to boost the image of the airline, save money and enhance its profitability, hence why it gets the hounds paw print of approval
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Got a text message before checking in at auck int. this morning that the lounge was high demand and may not be able to allow guests of members in. Bodes well for air nz flights being busy.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Got a text message before checking in at auck int. this morning that the lounge was high demand and may not be able to allow guests of members in. Bodes well for air nz flights being busy.
    That's a welcome change. Normally you have to wait to get personally rebuffed when turning up to the lounge, which is a bit embarrassing when you're taking a guest. Maybe an alert on the app for PAX booked to travel to/from WLG would be ideal.

Of all the Air NZ lounges, the main WLG Domestic lounge seems to suffer from that the most, although now there are three lounges in WLG (Intl, Dom, and Regional) that situation hopefully has changed.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Question Is this the top

I note that
    Mr Jones, (Former) Chief Strategy, Networks and Alliances
    and
    Mr Wallace, Chief Revenue Officer

have admitted to selling a couple of hundred thousand shares a piece.

Baa Baa reckons that a nod is as good as wink to a blind horse.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Maybe some easily lead sheep will follow but the market seems to think everything is smelling of roses at present, albeit slightly tainted with the intoxicating smell or freshly burnt aviation fuel fumes, freshly refined and pumped from Marsden point. The hound has noted this week a resurgence of airline stocks in the U.S. and QAN in Australia now trading on a PE of 13.3 vs AIR still slightly less than 10. We seem to be in an environment of stable global growth and ignoring geopolitical uncertainty.
    Disc: Hound (fat and gorged) after the last dividend feed, sleeping by the food bowl knowing another juicy dividend will be coming his way in several months time.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-10-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

You can lead a blind horse to knowledge, but you can't make it think. Just one small insight noting the big wigs selling into a topping cyclical. When all the bears are gone and there are only bulls left, with a beagle in charge, maybe it's time to reflect on the words of the Paper Tiger.

Sheep on that.
    💤🐏

If you imagine that a very simple strategy of following executives sales decisions as the one and only defining investment strategy as though that is some secret formula to success then I am sad for you Baa Baa.
    You're comments may have more credibility in the Scales thread which is a predominantly a cycle stock in nature but is trading on a PE of 17
    AIR looks very, very cheap compared to QAN, has a more modern and fuel efficient fleet, much less gearing and a vastly better track record, (delivered positive EPS throughout the GFC not multi billion losses like QAN) Who cares if a couple of exec's have a spending problem and can't afford to live of their bloated salaries, certainly not me.
    AIR PE 10
    Delta PE 10.4
    American Airlines PE 12.4
    Qantas PE 13.3
    Southwest Airlines 17.3

Airlines are limited to a PE of 10 right ? Yeah...NAH.
    I follow fundamental analysis, technical analysis, trends and formulate my investment thesis based on history, management's capabilities, planned growth, monthly operating stat's including year to date information, fleet update requirements, capex spend and a wide range of other factors including fully imputed dividend yield over my investment time horizon. What one or two executives do is right down the very bottom of a lot of other factors. If sum want to blindly follow executives and sell that's there prerogative (and I wish them the best of luck with that) but I for one will always think for myself.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-10-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    If you imagine that a very simple strategy of following executives sales decisions as the one and only defining investment strategy as though that is some secret formula to success then I am sad for you Baa Baa.
    You really think that, then I'm sad for you too Beagle.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Maybe some easily lead sheep will follow but the market seems to think everything is smelling of roses at present, albeit slightly tainted with the intoxicating smell or freshly burnt aviation fuel fumes, freshly refined and pumped from Marsden Point...
    Just put AIR (as a proxy for all airline stocks) on my 'sin stock' list with a ranking of 6 out of 10 (Sky City has a 9)

But then as AIR are only providing a service in meeting the insatiable desire of humans to fly everywhere I suppose it's really a ranking / indictment of humans themselves.

A member of AIR's Sustainability Council even said that airfares need to at least double to discourage air travel .....with the proceeds going to carbon offsets and into investment in under developed countries (or something like that)
    Last edited by winner69; 07-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”