sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Cool Well within the margin of error

Moving the discussion that got as far as this post on the ATM thread too a more appropriate place.

Taking the 22-Feb-2016, the day before Qantas announced their HY results and the first of a series of buy backs and going forward until today, 10-Oct-2017 and the total dividend adjusted returns for Qantas amounts to a

63.1% gain

and for AIR the equivalent figure is a

63.9% gain

Spooky eh possums?

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

PS: Your tax situation may affect these figures.
    om mani peme hum

That could be a simple coincidence but based on that evidence you could form the preliminary view that in this case the QAN buy-backs appear to have had little impact on the SP with the caveat that you'd need to look at the relative growth in the EPS of those two companies over that timeframe. I would be interested to know if there's been any studies done on the buy-back subject with a wider representation of anecdotal evidence.

I'm happy to concede that a $40m buy-back being less than one day's volume traded is very unlikely to have a material effect on helping the SP of ATM gain altitude, (not that it appears to need any help) but what it would do would be to send the market a useful signal that the directors still believed the shares are a compelling investment proposition for the company itself to buy-back notwithstanding the recent meteoric rise. This might give shareholders grounds not to sell, or to continue buying / holding so perhaps the real value of the buy-back is the downstream effect on shareholders propensity to own the shares thereby providing indirect further support for the share price ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11931831

Good for me a shareholder although not so great as a customer...

say what they like via their PR this is Emirates retrenching..
    Last edited by Raz; 11-10-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11931831

Good for me a shareholder although not so great as a customer...

say what they like via their PR this is Emirates retrenching..
    Yeap AIR have seen them off. By my count that's about 7 different airline retrenchments in the last 12 months. No wonder Chris Luxon is felling confident.
    (For the life of me I could never understand having 4 A380's in Auckland at the same time).
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Last edited by Beagle; 12-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Default Raz's Usual Dig's

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11932150

A little peak into Raz's usual digs. Feeling a little sorry for Raz, must be a terrible conflict of interest. On one hand those nice showers and gold embossed trim and service level's going but on the other more returns for AIR shareholders of which he is one. Talk about a conflict of interest !

Thats a hat-trick Roger!

Default Emirates retrenches......

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    News items from NZ Herald[/url]
    Item below suggests sand state airlines are at a cross-roads;

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetal...irates-etihad/

My disappointment as a tax payer is John Key and his successor, the Double Dipper from Dipton, have likely lost the opportunity to sell our share of Cullen Airlines to Etihad for silly money.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 13-10-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: removed word
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Thats a hat-trick Roger!
    lol couldn't help myself, feeling sorry for Raz having to "slum it" now in AIR's business class. Has some pretty pictures of A380's in that link though...suppose its allowable for AIR shareholders to dream of one day flying first class on Emirates A380 to London, have to be through Dubai now though.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    lol couldn't help myself, feeling sorry for Raz having to "slum it" now in AIR's business class. Has some pretty pictures of A380's in that link though...suppose its allowable for AIR shareholders to dream of one day flying first class on Emirates A380 to London, have to be through Dubai now though.
    The hound can still go on an Emirate A380 first class out of Christchurch of course...having to slum it on Jetstar to fly AKL - CHC is only a slight turn-off... :-)