sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by cdonald View Post
    Doing this flight next Friday, followed by another one 2 hours later thru to London, will let you know how it go's. Have done most other variations of the trip to London and now look for a more pleasant on ground experience than standing in a usa customs line for an hour each time I transit with Air NZ thru LA
    Got to say that this will now be my preferred route to London from now on. Doha is a very simple airport (one large terminal) and no custom checks like USA. Flights were good (flight over was about 75% full and flight on the way back was packed). Lots of nice touches like on board wifi and comfort packs (socks, eye masks and tooth brush etc) even for the cheap seats. they also have a great option where you can upgrade each leg of the trip if you would like to. Considering the price of the airfare was $800 less than a similar fare on AirNZ I would have expected to pay more for the quality of this flight in comparison.

Sorry Air NZ fans but the airline needs to become more competitive on the international flights as they are falling behind quickly.

oil over $60 not a tailwind anymore
    one step ahead of the herd

why airnz drop and qantas still up today, they all face the same situation fuel price going up.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Mainly about how evil airlines are by not addressing the huge carbon footprint they create. Agree there, the industry does shirk it's responsibilities. A lot of self-efficacy from our man Luxon in the article - suppose he has to try to convince punters AIR is a good citizen - yeah right

Loved this bit in the section 'How to take a planet friendly approach to travel':

Get downgraded. Don't fly in first class or business class because those passengers take up more space on the plane and as such their carbon footprint is much higher than those flying economy.

So come on Raz et al - do you thing and help save the planet.

only 6% of the worls population take a flight in any given year
    Haha the seat will still be there with the same carbon footprint..just a question who's sitting in it. Airfares are such a small part of the total cost of a trip...notice flights prices have been creeping up...they are all in lockstep except for the occassional empty plane then a quick low key discount :-)

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Mainly about how evil airlines are by not addressing the huge carbon footprint they create. Agree there, the industry does shirk it's responsibilities. A lot of self-efficacy from our man Luxon in the article - suppose he has to try to convince punters AIR is a good citizen - yeah right

Loved this bit in the section 'How to take a planet friendly approach to travel':

Get downgraded. Don't fly in first class or business class because those passengers take up more space on the plane and as such their carbon footprint is much higher than those flying economy.

So come on Raz et al - do you thing and help save the planet.

only 6% of the worls population take a flight in any given year
    And who is the resident naughty dog who flies to Europe on a regular basis for no other reason than a holiday ?
    Better scoot down and buy an electric car to ease your conscience mate
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Great company, but I don't see value at current prices. I try and avoid buying stocks these days when i consider they are either fully priced or overpriced, and IMO Air is fully priced at $2.50.
    Couta thanks for your concern on the way up , I have exited for now . Having a crack at a couple of things on the other side of the Tasman .

Let me just say that this kind of pattern makes me nervous.

AIR1-11-17.JPG
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Let me just say that this kind of pattern makes me nervous.

AIR1-11-17.JPG
    Yeap sold 60% of mine on Monday and Tuesday. Headwinds starting to emerge, (currency, oil and left wing government) and technically it doesn't look all that good with a clear sustained break below the 100 day MA line. Gave away too many profits last time it went above $3 and then nose dived down to $1.75...once bitten twice shy so locked plenty in this time ! Still like this extremely well managed company but not prepared to swim against the tide for ANY company, its too much hard work !
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-11-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yeap sold 60% of mine on Monday and Tuesday. Headwinds starting to emerge, (currency, oil and left wing government) and technically it doesn't look all that good with a clear sustained break below the 100 day MA line. Gave away too many profits last time it went above $3 and then nose dived down to $1.75...once bitten twice shy so locked plenty in this time ! Still like this extremely well managed company but not prepared to swim against the tide for ANY company, its too much hard work !
    Thought you were in for the long haul Mr "B" ? Or are the going on's over at THL at the moment just too tempting...

Still...plenty of time to get back in before the next Divi

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Thought you were in for the long haul Mr "B" ? Or are the going on's over at THL at the moment just too tempting...

Still...plenty of time to get back in before the next Divi
    I still maintain a meaningful position and as you say depending upon monthly operating stat's there's plenty of opportunity to revisit that before the half year result in late February 2018. N.Z. Govt must approve any shareholder going proposing to go above 10% in AIR but as you say over at THL there is no such requirement and probably never will be. Yes I think a Chinese takeover is a real chance so my THL position is now considerably bigger than AIR. I think some people as soon as the takeover is announced will wonder why they didn't position themselves properly earlier, I won't be one of them
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.