sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    I am not sure if you are grossly oversimplifying on purpose or because you don't understand or I just don't get where you're coming from.

The blockchain may have started as "just" a distributed, decentralized register of value with the original blockchain that underpinned bitcoin, but Ethereum seeks to be much more. One reason it is so popular and why private companies are choosing to build applications on top of the Ethereum blockchain is smart contracts. Here is a copy/paste from an article a couple of months ago about how AXA Insurance is trialing an application built on the Ethereum blockchain.

So the details are coded into a smart contract, stored on the Ethereum blockchain, and when parameters are met in the future, parts of the smart contract auto-execute, all with no human intervention. It has been called (or perhaps promoted as) "the world's supercomputer". To call it a "different option of registering securities" would be akin to teleportation being invented and being calling merely a "different system of transport".

I agree that the blockchain implementation(s) that are most successful in future may not exist now, but it IS implied that Ethereum has a future - otherwise, it is unlikely there would be companies being built on top of this blockchain and unlikely that Air New Zealand would support one of those companies financially.

Of course an implication is not a guarantee and the best idea doesn't always win.
    No question that some of the blockchains can do more than "just" registering securities. I replied to some other post and didn't intend to summarise all attributes of some blockchain applications in one post.

Not sure, though how these are relevant in the AIR thread ... or do you know more about AIR's intended application?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 27-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    I don’t think Winner is obsessed with diversity - he just realises it is important because years of research has shown that more diverse workplaces are more innovative and thus perform better than those that aren't. Complex problems are best approached by teams with a variety of perspectives.
    Unconscious bias describes situations where our background, personal experiences, societal stereotypes and cultural context can impact our decisions and actions without us realising. Making the unconscious conscious will help people make more objective decisions, facilitate inclusive interactions, and create opportunities.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/g...=US&IR=T#/#-41
    Thanks, I appreciate your perspective and the link supplied. I don't have an issue with diversity either unless like as was recently strongly implied at the recent HBL annual meeting they're looking at racial bias for the sake of it, (an implied quota system for Maori) and for the sake of being politically correct. Anyway back to the subject, I know AIR encourage diversity and their board composition reflects that and I note the company recently won the top governance award.
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

Not sure, though how these are relevant in the AIR thread ... or do you know more about AIR's intended application?

I talked about the tech underlying the application which AIR is apparently investing in to give people a bit more insight into the types of things that are possible. Apologies if this is offtopic. To be fair I am new to posting here so I was following your lead.

I talked about the tech underlying the application which AIR is apparently investing in to give people a bit more insight into the types of things that are possible. Apologies if this is offtopic. To be fair I am new to posting here so I was following your lead.
    Thank you Blair for sharing your knowledge re blockchain and trying to make it easier and simpler for some of us who aren’t very tech savvy to understand what it all means. Welcome to the forum. Always good to have another opinion. Interesting that it is something that AIR is investing in - a bit off topic for them to invest in I would have thought but apparently not. More innovative thinking from AIR.

I am not sure if you are grossly oversimplifying on purpose or because you don't understand or I just don't get where you're coming from.

The blockchain may have started as "just" a distributed, decentralized register of value with the original blockchain that underpinned bitcoin, but Ethereum seeks to be much more. One reason it is so popular and why private companies are choosing to build applications on top of the Ethereum blockchain is smart contracts. Here is a copy/paste from an article a couple of months ago about how AXA Insurance is trialing an application built on the Ethereum blockchain.

So the details are coded into a smart contract, stored on the Ethereum blockchain, and when parameters are met in the future, parts of the smart contract auto-execute, all with no human intervention. It has been called (or perhaps promoted as) "the world's supercomputer". To call it a "different option of registering securities" would be akin to teleportation being invented and being calling merely a "different system of transport".

I agree that the blockchain implementation(s) that are most successful in future may not exist now, but it IS implied that Ethereum has a future - otherwise, it is unlikely there would be companies being built on top of this blockchain and unlikely that Air New Zealand would support one of those companies financially.

Of course an implication is not a guarantee and the best idea doesn't always win.
    Appreciate your input mate and welcome to the forum.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs down Scaring the lobsters

I see that AIR have been trying to fly under the radar in Australia [investigation] .
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    I see that AIR have been trying to fly under the radar in Australia [investigation] .
    You been sneaking into AIR cockpits and getting your paws on the controls again mate, bad puddy tat, back in the hold with you

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Unhappy Tell me when I hit something

It is the '...alerted to the error, but the aircraft continued descent...' bit that could be the real worry.

Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    It is the '...alerted to the error, but the aircraft continued descent...' bit that could be the real worry.

Paper Tiger
    The tale is these pilots are highly trained (you know, thousands of hours of real training) .. nobody needs to tell them after they hit something - they will find out by themselves
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

A simple case of entering the wrong approach figure into the automatic landing system I would think. No dogs, cats or humans were injured and I am sure the pilots will get a thorough reprimand.