sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Be good if Obama and his entourage come down here and do a bit of travel to the South Island and travel Air NZ in doing so

Paying a decent fare for that travel will increase AIRs yield
    AIR will be paying - reduce the yield?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Rather interestingly TV1 reported in the main six o'clock bulletin almost as a statement of fact that Obama was coming to N.Z. on (from recollection 21 March) and this coincided with AIR's announcement of the new route to Chicago. Must say I've been a little surprised by their recovery back above $3 and their resilience today but I remain cautious as I remain of the opinion that they will caution about higher fuel prices going forward with their half year commentary later this month.
    Well I now know which golf courses have been blocked out, some serious security detail involved, AIR and the Government can share the costs....we are so lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Well I now know which golf courses have been blocked out, some serious security detail involved, AIR and the Government can share the costs....we are so lucky!
    We are lucky indeed...not to be the shareholders footing the bill.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    We are lucky indeed...not to be the shareholders footing the bill.
    Yes currently not a shareholders although still a tax payer..sure a tax accountant knows how much he pays to the cent...

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-issues-emerge

A320neo engine issues.

Oh dear....here we go again....
    At least Air NZ aren't operating any of these as of yet...

Don't know if this will impact on the delivery schedule for these later this year

This is just the latest in a series of issues with those engines as you know. Probably just better to fit engines that have proven to be reliable.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

To be fair, just about all new engines in the past 70 years have had their problems in early service before finally being fixed enough to be reliable. The engines on the early 747 planes in the early '70s were a problem for years with replacement engines being regularly taken to remote places - they were mounted as a dummy '5th engine' on other 747s.
    The newer engines are technologically more advanced, hence the enormous amount of design, testing and refinement that goes into them. However, not all problems can be foreseen; one of the problems I've read about relates to slightly uneven cooling of a rotorblade shaft that caused quicker wear & tear than expected and this was only picked up after thousands of hours of service.
    How about going back to piston engines....

"Federal Aviation Administration studies indicate that piston engines in aircraft have a failure rate, on average, of one every 3,200 flight hours while turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours. Accordingly, for every turbine engine experiencing a failure, 117 piston engines will have failed."

Https://www.profsurv.com/magazine/article.aspx?i=1950

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11991912 Taking into account their only slightly superior load capability I struggle to see the c apex economics of these $500m aircraft vs a Dreamliner which can carry ~ 85% of the load for half the retail price ? AIR let it slip that their Dreamliners cost just $150m so Airbus wanting anything like close to $500m retail looks like a stretch to me. Shareholders will be hoping AIR have enough problems with their shiny new toys to keep them busy from being tempted with this one, (which uses a another variant of the Rolls Royce Trent engine).
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Booked this weekend our flights for a trip to Singapore later this year. Checked four alternatives and AIR was in terms of price the most expensive option. In terms of flight-quality (duration, convenience - all four are safe airlines ) was the AIR option in the middle of the range.

You guess it - we booked an alternative (in this case the one with the Kangaroo on the tail). Their route to SIN is quite competitive - and we even can take more luggage with us (not that we are likely to use the full 30 kg per passenger).

Start to wonder, whether I still need to include AIR on my short list for future (overseas) trips - it is some time since they made the race.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 12-02-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: closed that bracket
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)