sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    The Beechcraft aren't part of the fleet according to their website:

https://www.airchathams.co.nz/about-air-chathams/fleet/

They do have a 1945 Douglas DC-3 though!

https://www.airchathams.co.nz/about-.../Douglas-DC-3/
    That DC-3 is one cool plane.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Getting personal now -

A former Far North mayor has taken a swipe at Air New Zealand's service to his region and backed Cabinet Minister Shane Jones' criticism of the airline's board.

Wayne Brown said it was ''laughable'' for the airline's chairman Tony Carter to suggest there should be no criticism of not servicing rural New Zealand because of its commercial imperative.

''That chairman is also a director of record loss-making Fletchers, so how would he recognise being commercial?'' said Brown, also a former chairman of the Auckland District Health Board.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It is great to see that AIR and RR have successfully managed their way through the engine problems and are bringing the Dreamliners back into full schedule. It has removed what was potentially a very serious problem for AIR. Well done AIR.
    I was on two Dreamliners last week, Virgin LHR to Shanghai and then Air NZ to Auckland, with both a pleasure to fly on. The flight from Auckland to Wellington was on a filthy plane though, with the Air NZ crew apologising profusely throughout the flight.
    Last edited by kiwico; 22-03-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: tautology

And as an aside, the Virgin Atlantic safety video beats the "lets fly an American actor/environmentalist all the way to Antarctica" hands down...

Jacinda really has Shane under control

Luxon as a National MP ...or Fonterra ....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=12018097

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Jacinda really has Shane under control

Luxon as a National MP ...or Fonterra ....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=12018097
    CEO in "might get another job sometime after his current one" shock. Shane Jones is really on the ball here. Or not.

Jones just seems totally out of his depth, which seems weird considering it's his fourth term as an MP. Or maybe he's aiming to take over Winston's job by continuing his history of blowing up fake controversy for self-promotion.

Obama tipped to talk about diversity to the selected 1000 tonight. That’ll be exciting.

Our Chris to make a speech as well. He’ll probably mention the environment.

Raz should enjoy himself ...if he’s really lucky he could be seated at the same table as Mr Jones
    Last edited by winner69; 22-03-2018 at 04:49 PM.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Amazingly stupid post. You don't seem to understand that it is the role of a company board to serve all of its shareholders instead of dancing to the tune of a bunch of Trump-like populists who only want to make cheap political points.

If the government really thinks that subsidizing these routes is the best they can do with the taxpayers money, than this is what they should do. Trying to bully listed companies however into providing loss making services can achieve only one thing - getting rid of investors. The latter will damage the New Zealand economy for years to come. Is this really the best your kind of ilk can do?
    Insulting,bullying does that start at home too BP lol. Got to be the gormless uncaring political post of the week. Cant believe how ignorant and uncaring posters can be on here for the Regions , Rural/regions dont count hey!. Charge the regions more than it takes to fly to aussie and back or make them fly 3 times far via Auckland who cares about productivity gains or families visiting each other etc. Nah its just about profits and your divvy ehh. ..

Much more fun spending a few $mill on Obama and our elite mates ehh and dishing out free shares to each other yeah trough it up.Good on you Key and Jones ,shoot out at the Not OK corral, black pete and his sidekicks don't stand a chance. . Mind you Key is in a tricky position now, a foot in both camps, then again its not political now is it more about the trough so cant count on him. Be inclusive and link Nz to new zealanders or be divisive and put divis ahead of your country i know what trump would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Insulting,bullying does that start at home too BP lol. Got to be the gormless uncaring political post of the week. Cant believe how ignorant and uncaring posters can be on here for the Regions , Rural/regions dont count hey!. Charge the regions more than it takes to fly to aussie and back or make them fly 3 times far via Auckland who cares about productivity gains or families visiting each other etc. Nah its just about profits and your divvy ehh. ..

Much more fun spending a few $mill on Obama and our elite mates ehh and dishing out free shares to each other yeah trough it up.Good on you Key and Jones ,shoot out at the Not OK corral, black pete and his sidekicks don't stand a chance. . Mind you Key is in a tricky position now, a foot in both camps, then again its not political now is it more about the trough so cant count on him. Be inclusive and link Nz to new zealanders or be divisive and put divis ahead of your country i know what trump would do.
    JT - as so often, you are missing the point by miles.

I guess whether the regions need a better air service, this is a different discussion (not on this thread - go to one of the political ones). I do not oppose a better connection of the regions (though might complain if the taxpayer needs to pay for it), but if Labour considers this as their most important issue, than by all means go for it and DO something. Subsidize some carriers, use the air force to transport people (I understand they started already with flying some NZF ministers around), support Googles flying drone taxi in Canterbury or buy everybody in the regions a Cessna ... all fine with me if the government finds the budget.

My issue was with one outspoken but quite inept minister trying to bully a listed company into subsidizing some of their services to the detriment of all share holders. This is an absolute no go if we (New Zealand) want to stay in business.

What is the next thing this idiot is asking for - Gentailers to provide free or subsidised power to selected parts of the electorate? I am sure poor old people would be deserving ... Bathurst Resources to provide cheaper coal to people who feel cold? The Warehouse to reduce prices for winter gear for selected voter groups because they just need and deserve something warm?

Where is this unholy coalition going to stop?

Look - you can't be that thick ... I am sure if you think about it (preferable before you respond ) than you see yourself that this would kill our economical basis. Nobody would want to invest anymore in New Zealand if the government starts to redirect any earnings towards bribing their preferred political base. Exactly this is however what Mr blue movies is trying to do. Whether he has the brains to see that - I don't know, but you JT ... come on.

Ah yes - and just for the record - I don't hold AIR and subsequently don't get any AIR dividends. I am as well not at all supportive of some of the recent AIR actions.

My only interest in this matter: I live and hold capital in NZ ... and preferably would like to keep it that way (hey - 3 years can't be that long - can they).
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 22-03-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

IMO

I think its great he's rattling the cage and much more effectively then johnkey tried back in 15/16.
    . This article from RNZ says it succinctly
    Victoria University's Bryce Edwards told Morning Report that in attacking Air New Zealand, Mr Jones was doing some classic and effective populist campaigning.
    "[He has] identified a neglect in New Zealand where people are hurting. He's being their champion. He's identifying an enemy - [the] Air New Zealand board - and he's going hard against them."

The message would really resonate in the provinces and there were a lot of votes up for grabs in those areas, Dr Edwards said.
    But he said Mr Jones needed to come up with some solutions rather than just harassing the airline.

BTW our mayor was invited to the $million plus obama fest but turned it down saying he had more important things to do with his too fast growing city. What a champion.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 22-03-2018 at 10:44 PM.