sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Interesting. They are also managing routes with short supply of pilots and other aircrew, which are in short supply worldwide, a problem shared by most airlines.

That is true although there has been a shortage of pilots for the last twenty years (except for few short term exceptions), here and world wide overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    More funding for flight training? Any funding at all for pilot training would be good.

I remember - one of our boys showed (some 15 years ago) an interest in becoming a pilot. At that stage this would have meant for him to take on more than $100k debt to pay for the training, with no guarantee at all for getting afterwards a job. There had been little vacancies for pilots around, and the ones available paid a pitiful salary - something like 25 or 30 k a year for a junior).

Frankly - I am not surprised we have these days a pilot shortage - and glad to report that our son used his grey matter and is now a successful (and well paid) SW Engineer ...
    Those figures gel with what I heard at that time, about 15 years ago a first officer on Eagle airways started on $28K but that was 15 years ago money BP and rent was cheap back then and like all professions you start at the bottom with a pretty large student loan. I would imagine if he had of gone down the pilot route he's be on a very handsome six figure salary now. My understanding, and its only from vague recollection, but I think the Govt started limiting the number of flight school students that could be eligible for a student loan because excess numbers were doing it just for the thrill and walking away and not repaying their loans. Perhaps its time to have another look at the whole flight school funding regime ? This shortage isn't going to go away anytime soon.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Aurora chasers charted an AIR Dreamliner last night and flew down to the Antarctica to capture auroras and Milky Ways etc

This is what they saw

A few bob for AIR and hope the marketing dept make the most of it.

https://twitter.com/flyairnz/status/977004549008384000
    Last edited by winner69; 23-03-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Print edition of the herald this morning reported that the Hi Fly crew are preparing to depart N.Z. at the end of March. Apparently close to 100 pilots, engineers and flight crew have been stationed in Auckland and it is reported that they have thoroughly enjoyed their time here. Less happy apparently have been customers of their aging A340.

AIR are operating a Dreamliner on the Chch route daily from April 4 departing Auckland at 8.00 a.m. and returning usually at 11.00 a.m, runs through to the end of April. Not sure if this short haul duty is while they're keeping a close eye on a recently restored example of, (ZK NZE with the repaired wing damage perhaps ?) aircraft type or not but logic would suggest this may well be the case. Never been on a Dreamliner before, this is probably your cheapest chance you have to try one out before its reallocated to normal international duties but I will pass.

I'm impressed with how well the shares have held up this week against a barrage of cheap political noise and bullying from Jones, a backdrop of weak international markets and higher oil prices. I guess seeing as most shares are held by overseas institutions most of them understand Jones' grandstanding is just cheap political brownie point scoring and have ignored it, something that everyone else should have done...
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Print edition of the herald this morning reported that the Hi Fly crew are preparing to depart N.Z. at the end of March. Apparently close to 100 pilots, engineers and flight crew have been stationed in Auckland and it is reported that they have thoroughly enjoyed their time here. Less happy apparently have been customers of their aging A340.

AIR are operating a Dreamliner on the Chch route daily from April 4 departing Auckland at 8.00 a.m. and returning usually at 11.00 a.m, runs through to the end of April. Not sure if this short haul duty is while they're keeping a close eye on a recently restored example of, (ZK NZE with the repaired wing damage perhaps ?) aircraft type or not but logic would suggest this may well be the case. Never been on a Dreamliner before, this is probably your cheapest chance you have to try one out before its reallocated to normal international duties but I will pass.

I'm impressed with how well the shares have held up this week against a barrage of cheap political noise and bullying from Jones, a backdrop of weak international markets and higher oil prices. I guess seeing as most shares are held by overseas institutions most of them understand Jones' grandstanding is just cheap political brownie point scoring and have ignored it, something that everyone else should have done...
    Just an additional note to this. The dreamliner running from Auckland to Christchurch is current scheduled for a number of flights in May, I was surprise that my late return flight in May is on a dreamliner, would have avoided however left it to my travel dept. to arrange bookings. Did not see this coming...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Aurora chasers charted an AIR Dreamliner last night and flew down to the Antarctica to capture auroras and Milky Ways etc

This is what they saw

A few bob for AIR and hope the marketing dept make the most of it.

https://twitter.com/flyairnz/status/977004549008384000
    Did I not say something about their latest advert being a toe in the water to reinstate flights to Antarctica..

A very lucrative route..

Beagle has agreed to disagree with me on this one :-)))

He would prefer to turn Fiordland into Disneyland..

With our creaking infrastructure already unable to cope..

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Just an additional note to this. The dreamliner running from Auckland to Christchurch is current scheduled for a number of flights in May, I was surprise that my late return flight in May is on a dreamliner, would have avoided however left it to my travel dept. to arrange bookings. Did not see this coming...
    I'm curious Raz. Why do you say you would have avoided it if you'd known ? Is it because of the engine problems ? I find them to be the best aircraft I've ever traveled on.
    Last edited by iceman; 24-03-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added sentence

IMO

The Secret Diary of Barack Obama this is hilarious .

IMO

Audrey Young: Air NZ attack scores bullseye for brand Jones

article.cfm

Majority shareholding minister Grant Robertson reminded the airline in non-threatening tones that the Government had influence over the appointment of the board.

Heather du Plessis - Allan opines on Jones going "crazy" and Labour's frenemies

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=12018200

I think AIR have their regional network where they want it now and this little storm in a teacup is nothing to be concerned about and note Grant Robertson said late this week that both Tony Carter and Chris Luxon are doing a good job.

Worth noting that when AIR axed the Kapiti coast to Christchurch route some time back not one whimper from any politician was forthcoming.

Possibly there will be a sit down with GR and the board and they will explain that the pilot situation is tight and the Government need to look at their funding for flight school students.

Overseas investors not worried that's the main thing.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.