sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Air putting on a LOT of new capacity in the first half of FY19 including this announced today, Chicago, 3rd daily flight to Singapore in conjunction with revenue sharing partner Singapore airlines, (really could you ask for a better partner, opps sorry I digress) and Taipei...pretty sure I've forgotten one or two of the new / expanded frequency routes as frankly there's so many of them !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

sell pressure building.....

AIR 120418.JPG

Guru

Terrible service from AIR yesterday. My partner was on a flight from Auckland to Wellington, was already 1.5 hours late, got to WEllington, wind got up and could not land, had to return to Auckland and there was told that there are no hotels available, domestic terminal was shut (Koru too) and so they had to sleep in the International terminal to try and stay warm. Booked on a flight back this afternoon. Not really good enough is it, or is it? Are domestic carriers to be viewed as nothing more than a quick bus service and if the bus is late or does not arrive, well bad luck?
    Last edited by blackcap; 12-04-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Terrible service from AIR yesterday. My partner was on a flight from Auckland to Wellington, was already 1.5 hours late, had to return to Auckland and there was told that there are no hotels available, domestic terminal was shut (Koru too) and so they had to sleep in the International terminal to try and stay warm. Booked on a flight back this afternoon. Not really good enough is it, or is it? Are domestic carriers to be viewed as nothing more than a quick bus service and if the bus is late or does not arrive, well bad luck?
    **** happens eh .....but you do get the impression passengers are just a commodity

Had a mate on a flight AKL/WLG last evening ...left late and then did 9 big laps off Paraparaumu when the lightning close the airport but did manage to get in ....then the wind got up and they closed the airport for the night.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    **** happens eh .....but you do get the impression passengers are just a commodity

Had a mate on a flight AKL/WLG last evening ...left late and then did 9 big laps off Paraparaumu when the lightning close the airport but did manage to get in ....then the wind got up and they closed the airport for the night.

Indeed $^%#%# happens and for the price you can almost expect it to be a commodity. That is why I ask the question. Just like going cattle class on long haul. Business class these days is cheaper than cattle class was 25 years ago (in real terms) so you should not really expect much from economy.

We were trapped on the plane at the gate for 8 hours once in the US on an AirNZ flight. No hotels available, ground crew on strike, mix up with the fuel trucks, you name it they had it. At least they served dinner while we waited, and we received a lovely stop over in Fiji and a $5 voucher which bought us no more than a pie at the airport. That was in Business Premier too!

The NZ Herald has an interesting article on the Cullen Airlines Virgin(Under Arm Bowlers Division) divorce.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz-herald...ectid=12026605

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Terrible service from AIR yesterday. My partner was on a flight from Auckland to Wellington, was already 1.5 hours late, got to WEllington, wind got up and could not land, had to return to Auckland and there was told that there are no hotels available, domestic terminal was shut (Koru too) and so they had to sleep in the International terminal to try and stay warm. Booked on a flight back this afternoon. Not really good enough is it, or is it? Are domestic carriers to be viewed as nothing more than a quick bus service and if the bus is late or does not arrive, well bad luck?
    I've lived in Auckland for nearly 50 years. The storm that hit on Tuesday night was the worst there's ever been by quite some considerable margin. Vast areas of the power network went down and some people simply gave up living in cold frigid homes and checked into hotels with power. (We sucked it up and toughed it out for 3 bitterly cold nights and days without power). I understand the Auckland runway was a mess with debris. Nothing AIR or anyone else could do.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I've lived in Auckland for nearly 50 years. The storm that hit on Tuesday night was the worst there's ever been by quite some considerable margin. Vast areas of the power network went down and some people simply gave up living in cold frigid homes and checked into hotels with power. (We sucked it up and toughed it out for 3 bitterly cold nights and days without power). I understand the Auckland runway was a mess with debris. Nothing AIR or anyone else could do.
    I do realise that. What concerned my partner most was the lack of communication from AIR. There was no "sorry but we are unable to provide accommodation because...", they just had 200 people que up in line and ask the same questions. No real contingency planning in place whatsoever. To get blankets and pillows you needed to ask. Again 200 people in que asking for the same thing. It would be better if they were more proactive and handed them out upon disembarking. The plane left Auckland at about 8.30pm, went to Wellington, did not land and went back to Auckland and got in at about 10.20pm. Too late really to go and bother friends so AIR would be from a PR perspective better to front foot this. But that is my one gripe. I know you cannot expect much from an Airline, just like you cannot expect much from a bus company if the weather plays up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Not sure. How hard would it have been to open the domestic lounge (and allow all passengers to access) and provide at least a bit more comfortable environment for passengers? I guess if you are bringing passengers back late in the evening due to no landing options elsewhere and you know all hotels are booked out, than it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that these passengers might need a place to sleep somewhere. Air NZ had this space (domestic lounge) but choose to close it.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)