sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Scaremongering?

https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/a...mliner-issues/

Extract-
    Further issues have been found with the Trent 1000 engines which point to some major turmoil ahead, and disruptions this time around may even lead to the full grounding of Trent 1000 powered Dreamliner fleets.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Scaremongering?

https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/a...mliner-issues/

Extract-
    Further issues have been found with the Trent 1000 engines which point to some major turmoil ahead, and disruptions this time around may even lead to the full grounding of Trent 1000 powered Dreamliner fleets.
    Very real chance of Aircraft once again being parked.
    NZE did not make it back in to service..and currently no spare engine available with more inspections to be made over the next couple of months.
    This is a developing situation but one that could get quiet ugly..

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I personally find it difficult to believe every hotel and motel in Auckland was booked out.
    does not take much to book out all Auckland hotels from my experience and all the airports seem to run independent to the airlines and discourage access over night which use to be a given...

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Very real chance of Aircraft once again being parked.
    NZE did not make it back in to service..and currently no spare engine available with more inspections to be made over the next couple of months.
    This is a developing situation but one that could get quiet ugly..
    Thanks winner and Benny1 for this info. This is a really serious issue and from a customers pint of view, these engines should be completely replaced. I sold all my AIR last time this issue came to light and have only recently bought in again. Also booked on a Dreamliner flight in 3 weeks time so this is bad news.
    I hope they haven't sent all the HiFly planes and crew back yet !!
    Last edited by iceman; 14-04-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Market took last disruptions in its stride ....hopefully share price won’t be affected this time either

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/roll...liner-engines/

A worry in that once things start breaking you never really fix the problem .....applies to most things, not just plane engines

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Market took last disruptions in its stride ....hopefully share price won’t be affected this time either
    Could be quite disruptive to AIR if the United States Federal Aviation Administration slashes flight times over water and remote areas as discussed in this article http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=12032557

Default The major disruptions to date have NOT affected their upbeat profit guidance for FY18

Before we all get a little carried away with this new information. It's one thing for engines, (plural) to be imploding and fan blades cracking left right and centre and quite another for just a simple increase in frequency of an existing check from every 2000 cycles to every 300, a check that only takes a couple of hours.
    "The check involves looking at an area of the compressor, it is completed on wing (without removing the engine) and only takes a couple of hours."
    Thoughts.
    Doesn't sound like a major check to me.
    AIR predominantly uses the newer engine variety on North American routes so these routes should be unaffected.
    If ETOPS approval is reduced to 140 minutes they will have to redeploy Dreamliners on South American routes elsewhere in their network and substitute with 777 - 200 / 300 aircraft.
    What has impressed me to date with this issue is that AIR have maintained increased forward guidance throughout the 787 disruption process which has included extensive use of other leased aircraft.
    This would suggest to me in the absence of any other confirming data that the compensation coming from Rolls Royce is designed to ostensibly cover all or the vast majority of the disruption / costs incurred by AIR.
    Two hour on wing engine inspections of an area of the intermediate compressor area of an engine every 300 cycles does not sound like a major disruptive factor but I would have to concede if the ETOPS certification is lowered this could be more problematic from a fleet utilization perspective however could lead to AIR having a legal claim for full replacement of these affected engines with the newer engine variant and compensation for damages incurred in the period leading up to replacement.

I think Rolls Royce are going to be taking the lion's share of the hit not AIR but I note RR shares fell by less than 1%.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-04-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

It just never stops with airlines does it, bad news seems always just around the corner from good news. No sooner do we get the impression that everything is OK and it's worthwhile holding just for the dividends, albeit nearing SP highs (been a nice SP rise recently but the next divi is ages away in Sept), bingo some negative news comes along. Typical.

This time it's dragging up the unresolved issue of the flakey self-imploding engines and the certainty of more frequent inspections, which is minor compared to the possibility of flight time restrictions, and minuscule compared to an engine failure, or two and ... it doesn't bear saying!

I thought the engines thing had been fixed and blown over, but obviously not, maybe I got sucked into the 'she'll be right' rhetoric, or maybe just not paying enough attention after the recent SP bounce and nice follow through?

I wouldn't fly in a Dreamliner anymore until its totally fixed, stuff that. I don't care either whether Rolls Royce take a share of the pain. It's come back again, stupid flakey engines, just when it looked like we had a shot at the long term highs and a nice divi in Sept.

Maybe I should be saying, oh hey it's ok, not a big deal, RR will pay out, nothing to worry about. But if I did, it would be maligned as only being about propping up confidence while selling at the first sight of weakness on Monday.

Bloody airlines.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 14-04-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It just never stops with airlines does it, bad news seems always just around the corner from good news. No sooner do we get the impression that everything is OK and it's worthwhile holding just for the dividends, albeit nearing SP highs (been a nice SP rise recently but the next divi is ages away in Sept), bingo some negative news comes along. Typical.

This time it's dragging up the unresolved issue of the flakey self-imploding engines and the certainty of more frequent inspections, which is minor compared to the possibility of flight time restrictions, and minuscule compared to an engine failure, or two and ... it doesn't bear saying!

I thought the engines thing had been fixed and blown over, but obviously not, maybe I got sucked into the 'she'll be right' rhetoric, or maybe just not paying enough attention after the recent SP bounce and nice follow through?

I wouldn't fly in a Dreamliner anymore until its totally fixed, stuff that. I don't care either whether Rolls Royce take a share of the pain. It's come back again, stupid flakey engines, just when it looked like we had a shot at the long term highs and a nice divi in Sept.

Maybe I should be saying, oh hey it's ok, not a big deal, RR will pay out, nothing to worry about. But if I did, it would be maligned as only being about propping up confidence while selling at the first sight of weakness on Monday.

Bloody airlines.
    I like your honesty....it would be nice if you had an active choice on flying their 787s currently however they have rescheduled us on these sucker aircraft after booking...may have to consider an alternative.... naturally at our additional expense...this does seem a long term disruptor.