sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post

This time it's dragging up the unresolved issue of the flakey self-imploding engines and the certainty of more frequent inspections, which is minor compared to the possibility of flight time restrictions, and minuscule compared to an engine failure, or two and ... it doesn't bear saying!

I thought the engines thing had been fixed and blown over, but obviously not, maybe I got sucked into the 'she'll be right' rhetoric, or maybe just not paying enough attention after the recent SP bounce and nice follow through?

I wouldn't fly in a Dreamliner anymore until its totally fixed, stuff that. I don't care either whether Rolls Royce take a share of the pain. It's come back again, stupid flakey engines, just when it looked like we had a shot at the long term highs and a nice divi in Sept.

Maybe I should be saying, oh hey it's ok, not a big deal, RR will pay out, nothing to worry about. But if I did, it would be maligned as only being about propping up confidence while selling at the first sight of weakness on Monday.

Bloody airlines.
    Agree that the announced extra inspections are not a major issue per se, but the possible flight restrictions from US authorities would be a major blow.
    While AIR and RR may well manage this well and with limited extra costs, it all comes down to current and potential new customers having faith. You've obviously lost faith in flying on these affected aircraft and so have I. I bet you we are not the only ones. And herein lies the risk for AIR.
    Last edited by iceman; 15-04-2018 at 05:48 AM.

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Stuff .co have this picture on the weekend news. It's the fan blades of one of these engines now requiring inspections every 300 long haul trips. Used to be 2000. Yikes...! My dentist has shown me better pictures of my back teeth before telling me I need to take out a small morgage. I cant actually believe this picture is a true representation of normal blades in service but if my mecahnaic said he wants to see my car every month now instead of yearly I'd buy a new car. Hard to see how frequent inspections actually fixes anything. The posters here warned of this last year and I sold on that concern so thank you to you guys. I like this company a lot but will be sitting this one out for now. Somehow this story is on stuff.co travel and not the business section and quite hard to find.So that might buy some time for anyone wanting to exit.https://www.stuff.co.nz/.../air-new-zealand-checks-on-rollsroyce-engines- spark-flight-changes
    Last edited by Maverick; 15-04-2018 at 11:57 AM.

I get it that some people are frustrated. Airlines do involve more risk than many other sectors which is exactly why they have traditionally traded on cheap PE multiples.
    There are no investment free lunches. In my view the 2018 PE of 9.6 fairly reflects the potential risks and rewards.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I get it that some people are frustrated. Airlines do involve more risk than many other sectors which is exactly why they have traditionally traded on cheap PE multiples.
    There are no investment free lunches. In my view the 2018 PE of 9.6 fairly reflects the potential risks and rewards.
    Beagle someone told me some of the ATR”s are out at the moment , you know anything about that ?

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Beagle someone told me some of the ATR”s are out at the moment , you know anything about that ?
    ATR's have been a reliable work horse mate. Some of the early ATR 500's are more than 17 years old so one could be in for an engine overhaul or an upgrade.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ATR's have been a reliable work horse mate. Some of the early ATR 500's are more than 17 years old so one could be in for an engine overhaul or an upgrade.
    ATR 500's being gradually replaced with the 600's so don't think too much upgrade work is being carried out on these.. Will just be the usual planned maintenance and anything found during those checks..
    Haven't heard of any ATR's being out of action...

ETOPS or whatever they are shortened to 140 minutes .....at least in the USA

https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/a...mliner-issues/
    Last edited by winner69; 17-04-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Bit of a worry that officials say there is a risk of both engines failing during a flight .....losing one would be bad enough.

Bit scary

Mind you I once flew 2 long hAul flights in DC10s (I think but those ones with an engine on the tail) when they were falling out of the sky and there was a mad exodus of passengers ....nice flights as row to your self on pretty empty planes.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Important to understand that there is nine affected engines not nine affected planes.
    Also important to understand that FAA change is temporary and RR are working on improvements to certain components of those engines.
    I imagine AIR are well positioned to juggle their fleet such that those planes with engines temporarily affected by any possible future CAA change are assigned to routes that fit the new requirements and the other six Dreamliner's fitted with the "ten" version of this Trent engine and are unaffected are used on routes requiring 330 min ETOPS. In my view this is a sensible move by FAA in the circumstances until such time as Rolls Royce can overhaul all earlier version engines with newer components.