sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

This article mentions ETOPS might go down to 60 minutes for some planes

So stopping the engines working too hard is one cure ....bloody resonance. Too technical for me

https://leehamnews.com/2018/04/27/32...er-will-climb/
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

All the affected engines won’t be completely made over until 2022, but the interim actions, such as the surgical strikes and software proposal, are geared toward restoring the fleet to unrestricted service.
    Oh dear oh dear...this is just as bad as your mother in law moving into your home for an indefinite period
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Oh dear oh dear...this is just as bad as your mother in law moving into your home for an indefinite period
    I would rather live with my mother in law in our home than sitting next to a disintegrating Trent 1000 up in the sky
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Its hard to get you head around this one isn't it. I do believe most Air NZ customers are sticky and not that sophisticated..unless burned by a bad experience will not alter their buying behaviour...it would take a major engine failure with consequences and the resulting negative PR to change demand. Just the duration of disruption makes you wonder about the hassle factor although the use of dry leases this time should avoid the hi-cXXp problems of the wet lease recent experience..
    Last edited by Raz; 28-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Its hard to get you head around this one isn't it. I do believe most Air NZ customers are sticky and not that sophisticated..unless burned by a bad experience will not alter their buying behaviour...it would take a major engine failure with consequences and the resulting negative PR to change demand. Just the duration of disruption makes you wonder about the hassle factor although the use of dry leases this time should avoid the hi-cXXp problems of the wet lease recent experience..
    Really hard. I agree with you 100% but I think this engine issue is very sticky too and I can't really figure how they get through this long fiasco without some meaningful collateral damage either to profitability or reputation or more likely both ?
    On the other hand, demand is probably pretty inelastic and an article in the print edition of the Herald today said domestic fares increased last year by ~ 5% and more increases this year and international business class up even more. Then you have quality airlines like Emirates selling their soul and reducing business class seat width to a really pathetic 18.5 inches width, less than Singapore's economy sized seat, same width as AIR so called premium economy, (which is nothing more than what economy used to be before they started sardine canning people into their new "Dream"liner seats). AIR's pathetic sized business class seats actually starting to look not too bad in this new sardine can environment we're supposed to accept as normal. Maybe they can get through this thing if they really nail RR for every last bit of compensation their overworked computers can conger up ? The risk I don't like is we've seen what can happen when a fan blade breaks loose with the recent incident in America partially sucking that woman out of the plane and killing her and that could have happened and still could with AIR's planes
    One incident like that with engines that have a known weakness and AIR's reputation is in the toilet for a very long time and RR's with it, (if RR's rep isn't already).
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-04-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I would rather live with my mother in law in our home than sitting next to a disintegrating Trent 1000 up in the sky
    I would prefer to take my chances with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    I would prefer to take my chances with the engine.
    LOL me too.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=12041757

Problems are going to persist right through to October 26 (notified at this stage). I would think that would be the very earliest and its highly likely we'll see more schedule changes after that as the rest of the 787 fleet have their fan blades replaced. I'm still thinking this persists at least until well into 2019 and that reinstatement of 330 min's ETOPS is no certainty.
    Hi Fly will be back to further tarnish AIR's reputation with their old clunkers.
    Iceman will be happy though on his regular business trips to South America...putting well proven older model 777-200's on that route. Pleased for you mate.
    Good luck to shareholders.

This is interesting - could AIR use a few of them

Demand obviously not meeting Emirates expectations ...quite a few surplus A380s ..ouch

From Twitter

Alex Macheras (@AlexInAir)
    29/04/18, 7:47 PM
    Latest: #UAE-based #Emirates are removing more aircraft from the fleet, and sending the passenger jets to be stored at DWC airport, due to low demand.

• This month:
    11 x Boeing 777
    1 x A380

• May 2018:
    14 x 777s
    6 x A380s

• June 2018:
    11 x 777s and 3 x A380s
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

would be expensive to change the livery and do a paint job on them though