sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Investor

Out of this for now, good returns over last two years incl that juicy special divvy in 2016 plus decent capital gain.

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Out of this for now, good returns over last two years incl that juicy special divvy in 2016 plus decent capital gain.
    Out also, expect the fuel and hedge sound bites should knock it down during the year...buying in at a lower level, the opportunity will come ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Koru lounges are over crowded compared with 3-5 years ago, the experience has fundamentally changed. It may work for you with young children however most people in the lounges are MPs, officials of the public service, sports teams and business people...so you would be in the minority when I have ever visited.

Other options certain have become more popular and available over the past couple of years and now hardly use koru lounges..
    You should be on the top 100 list now mate that gives really special treatment

Out also, expect the fuel and hedge sound bites should knock it down during the year...buying in at a lower level, the opportunity will come ...
    Likewise, headwinds building and are now too strong.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Interesting................ 23/05/2018 Morningstar BUY recommendation

Good volume recently maybe NZ retail shrinking ?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Interesting................ 23/05/2018 Morningstar BUY recommendation

Good volume recently maybe NZ retail shrinking ?
    there is a mistake somewhere - they must mean SELL/REDUCE (the valuation they have is $2.60). Usually, the rule of thumb is you should do the opposite with these guys, but in this instance I agree with them.

I think the smart retail is exiting (or already has) and instos are propping up the SP by accumulating $3.30-$3.40. AIR can work in strange ways sometimes.

I don't think we have seen the end of the engine issues, plus there is the rising oil prices. Once the increase in oil slips past AIR's hedged position, how long before the cost of flights increase. AIR will pass-through costs and passenger numbers will dip because people will struggle to afford to go on holiday, perhaps electing to stay local instead.
    Last edited by Filthy; 24-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    how long before the cost of flights increase
    noting that there was a recent 5% increase already (that was well documented by the media)

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    noting that there was a recent 5% increase already (that was well documented by the media)
    Some media reports also mentioned they had looked at international pricing where longer sectors mean a higher relative fuel cost as a percentage of overall flight costs vs domestic and couldn't put prices up due to international competitive forces at work. Jetstar today with a sale in the market with some eye watering prices e.g. Auckland to Queenstown for $45 !...surely this is below cost for those prepared to book far enough ahead ?, (October - Early December). Might have to revisit my self imposed ban on travelling Jetstar at that price ! I know they're absolutely the pitts with their service but you're only paying for your share of the jet fuel at that price and nothing else !
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Koru lounges are over crowded compared with 3-5 years ago, the experience has fundamentally changed. It may work for you with young children however most people in the lounges are MPs, officials of the public service, sports teams and business people...so you would be in the minority when I have ever visited.

Other options certain have become more popular and available over the past couple of years and now hardly use koru lounges..
    I used another option recently when we took the family to New Caledonia which was much quieter although I paid as opposed to access to Koru where I have access due to business travel.

Yes it is full of MPs and others you mention - the eldest met the ABs on his first overseas trip and mostly it is mainly me there for business travel. But it’s no different from say a Visa GoldCard which used to mean something but now everyone has one and you get bumped up up a free Platinum one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Some media reports also mentioned they had looked at international pricing where longer sectors mean a higher relative fuel cost as a percentage of overall flight costs vs domestic and couldn't put prices up due to international competitive forces at work. Jetstar today with a sale in the market with some eye watering prices e.g. Auckland to Queenstown for $45 !...surely this is below cost for those prepared to book far enough ahead ?, (October - Early December). Might have to revisit my self imposed ban on travelling Jetstar at that price ! I know they're absolutely the pitts with their service but you're only paying for your share of the jet fuel at that price and nothing else !
    As mentioned earlier the specials are similar prices every year within a few dollar for early bookings, I believe they reflect normal retail. I go to Queenstown for a conference every September and never paid more than $50 for a seat down. Book last week $49, prior year $45. So that is six years in a row...

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    I used another option recently when we took the family to New Caledonia which was much quieter although I paid as opposed to access to Koru where I have access due to business travel.

Yes it is full of MPs and others you mention - the eldest met the ABs on his first overseas trip and mostly it is mainly me there for business travel. But it’s no different from say a Visa GoldCard which used to mean something but now everyone has one and you get bumped up up a free Platinum one instead.
    "But it’s no different from say a Visa GoldCard which used to mean something but now everyone has one and you get bumped up up a free Platinum one instead."

The difference is that AIR does not offer tiered lounge services except for a very small group...

Star Alliance lounges are far superior, so are their main competitors to Europe. They get a free pass on Australia or US thou....