sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Beagle ...didn’t I say once a lemon always a lemon or something like that,
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Beagle ...didn’t I say once a lemon always a lemon or something like that,
    Yes you did mate. I've enhanced my understanding of this engine somewhat since then and without in any way pretending to be a jet engine engineer my understanding is that from a design point of view they really pushed the operational parameters of the engine to get the extra fuel efficiency. When you really squeeze something hard maybe reliability and longevity suffer and maybe that's a systemic problem going forward ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yes you did mate. I've enhanced my understanding of this engine somewhat since then and without in any way pretending to be a jet engine engineer my understanding is that from a design point of view they really pushed the operational parameters of the engine to get the extra fuel efficiency. When you really squeeze something hard maybe reliability and longevity suffer and maybe that's a systemic problem going forward ?
    At what point is it cheaper just to swap out the engines (doing whatever that takes) to be the same as their other, good, ones?

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    At what point is it cheaper just to swap out the engines (doing whatever that takes) to be the same as their other, good, ones?
    Yeah depends on how long it goes on, those engines do not come cheap! What a screw up to your strategic plans..

Guru

Has it been stated that the Shanghai turn back is engine related or is that just sharetrader speculation?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Has it been stated that the Shanghai turn back is engine related or is that just sharetrader speculation?
    "NZ289 returned to Auckland shortly after departure when pilots received an indication in the cockpit of a possible technical issue," the spokeswoman said.

"The indication has since been confirmed to be false."

"NZ289 returned to Auckland shortly after departure when pilots received an indication in the cockpit of a possible technical issue," the spokeswoman said.

Bloody flashing lights ...but an expensive false positive ...or is that PEB talk
    Last edited by winner69; 24-08-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

You can have faults that are not necessarily related to the engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner Plane was designed so that interchangeability is possible in 24 hours. Even if AIR bit the bullet on a full changeover, (which is incredibly unlikely in my opinion) the issue is GE are not going to have 20 or so GEnx engines sitting in a warehouse for immediate delivery even at something like $US20m each.

AIR are caught between a rock and a hard place with these engines and RR are struggling. Just got to hope that RR's newly designed components fix the problems and prove to be durable. I see AIR shares touched my buy price of $3.20 earlier today. I was out and didn't have a limit buy order in at that price and to be honest for whatever reason I do not feel disappointed to have missed that opportunity. My gut feel is there could be a slightly better one in due course. Momentum is a powerful force. Maybe a bit more of a correction coming.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-08-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

(Anecdotal)
    We had a 3 hour wait in the plane (777-300) on the tarmac the other day before take off due to a bung pilots chair. BNE-AKL
    There were over 300 people on the plane and their seats were all good but the captains chair had some failing in a component which we were advised was required by the regulations. It took an engineer 3 hours to fix. The extra gall was added by us being told when the fix job had been completed but they now needed to furnish photographs and gain approval from HO to fly. This took almost half an hour itself !! I think they must have used carrier pigeons.

We missed our connecting flight ( Air Chathams ) and despite not being obliged to assist AIR put us up for the night in a hotel.I was immensely grateful as was travelling with 86 year old Mum - but shareholders might not be so happy.

I hate airlines as a sector but even with that strangely I do want to nibble at AIR. Stop your barking Beagle. You are probably right about it having a place in a portfolio though.

Edit
    Oh and Queensland has been very summery during my time there over the last few weeks. Weather app only needed the sunshine icon the whole time. No need to go to Europe for summer really , if you dont want to.
    Last edited by peat; 24-08-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....