sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

Literally got the govt's ear, got to be worth a few cents extra on SP. Healthy profitable AIR pivotal to a healthy NZ inc

Quote Originally Posted by Patient Panda View Post
    A smart move and like you say I’m sure hes going to enjoy the extra spotlight. Will be really interesting tomsee who else they get on that council.
    He's a good natural leader. I've chatted with him after a number of annual meetings and watched him talk to others. He has an easy way about him that puts people at ease and he communicates very well. I'm sure he'll relate with Jacinda well and this gives me a bit more confidence that Labour are taking this matter seriously.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    He's a good natural leader. I've chatted with him after a number of annual meetings and watched him talk to others. He has an easy way about him that puts people at ease and he communicates very well. I'm sure he'll relate with Jacinda well and this gives me a bit more confidence that Labour are taking this matter seriously.
    Yep listen to big end of town

But will those SMEs you look after be happy and feel more otimstic?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yep listen to big end of town

But will those SMEs you look after be happy and feel more otimstic?
    Too early to call at this stage but it might make a difference...spring is coming...there's a theory that says that people are naturally more optimistic in spring. Some guy at a Turners roadshow presentation told me that so it must be true
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Most retailers,motels,rental car companies,etc either run at a loss, or break even, from Mother's Day to Father's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Most retailers,motels,rental car companies,etc either run at a loss, or break even, from Mother's Day to Father's Day.
    SMEs is where the problem lies and as per usual have no voice...

Last edited by Beagle; 28-08-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Paul Krugman once said what people learn from running a business won’t help them formulate economic policy. A country is not a big corporation. The habits of mind that make a great business leader are not, in general, those that make a great economic analyst; an executive who has made $1 billion is rarely the right person to turn to for advice about a $6 trillion economy. (Krugman)

Whether Jacinda’s new advisory group is just a mutual admiration society only time will tell.

But as long as the world believe that Jacinda’s doing something and the input of Luxon and his mates are going to help to guide economic policy for the good she has achieved her aim — essentially diverting attention away from the problem for while. Or maybe it was all just window dressing to get some more headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    SMEs is where the problem lies and as per usual have no voice...
    Agree and I doubt that struggling suburban accountants, High St florists, metal fabrication businesses etc etc will be invited to join this group

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Paul Krugman once said what people learn from running a business won’t help them formulate economic policy. A country is not a big corporation. The habits of mind that make a great business leader are not, in general, those that make a great economic analyst; an executive who has made $1 billion is rarely the right person to turn to for advice about a $6 trillion economy. (Krugman)

Whether Jacinda’s new advisory group is just a mutual admiration society only time will tell.

But as long as the world believe that Jacinda’s doing something and the input of Luxon and his mates are going to help to guide economic policy for the good she has achieved her aim — essentially diverting attention away from the problem for while. Or maybe it was all just window dressing to get some more headlines.
    Good post mate. One suspects that with about 100 working groups working on a vast range of policy any assurance Jacinda gave about her understanding of the need for certainty for business is at best window dressing lol.
    Perception is a powerful thing though. She did look good on the telly last night getting up close with Chris. Maybe some of his good common sense might rub off on her.
    Maybe just the perception that they are listening to business is all that's needed to boost confidence slightly and keep the problem swept under the carpet for now ?

Anyway..I blame the spent fumes from aircraft engines that sometimes fly over my house...I bought a few more AIR this morning at $3.30. Probably regret it but when you're a dividend hound at heart its hard to change one's nature and the gross yield looking forward makes a solid investment case. Maybe they have a bit of brand pricing power to recover the higher jet fuel prices this year ? Who knows, time will tell.