sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

OK, OK - who set this givealittle page as a joke for bored Shatetraders???? Surely must be a joke.......

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    OK, OK - who set this givealittle page as a joke for bored Shatetraders???? Surely must be a joke.......
    Company registered on 17 Sep 2018.
    Registered Office
    Jason McCulloch, 23 Advance Terrace, Arrowtown, Arrowtown, 9302 , New Zealand
    He's the only shareholder and director.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12132113

A full month and two days out from the noon time CMO annual meeting on 2 November I checked prices on the weekend to fly to from the meeting on said date on AIR. Unless I want to get up at some absolutely heinous early hour to make the very first flight of the day its just over $500 return, (assuming I also want to fly back at a reasonable hour of the late afternoon / early evening. One wonders if their domestic pricing is getting a little "toppy" at times already ?
    I won't fly Jetheap at any price (including free) so I won't be going, simple as that.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12132113

A full month and two days out from the noon time CMO annual meeting on 2 November I checked prices on the weekend to fly to from the meeting on said date on AIR. Unless I want to get up at some absolutely heinous early hour to make the very first flight of the day its just over $500 return, (assuming I also want to fly back at a reasonable hour of the late afternoon / early evening. One wonders if their domestic pricing is getting a little "toppy" at times already ?
    I won't fly Jetheap at any price (including free) so I won't be going, simple as that.

Yes it can get very pricey, we usually go to Melbourne or Sydney for entertainment and some dates your looking at $170 one way and other dates 500-600$. It does add up.

Just had the most grovely email from Emirates on change in services...sounds like they are really struggling...will help AIR on the Bali route.
    Last edited by Raz; 01-10-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Airline analysts always point out that the barriers to entry for a new airline in New Zealand are low.

Also an acquaintance of mine bought a few airline assets for one ringgit (about NZ$0.35) seventeen years ago and he seems to be doing reasonably well these days.

But Air New Zealand will probably survive for a year or two yet .
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Airline analysts always point out that the barriers to entry for a new airline in New Zealand are low.

Also an acquaintance of mine bought a few airline assets for one ringgit (about NZ$0.35) seventeen years ago and he seems to be doing reasonably well these days.

But Air New Zealand will probably survive for a year or two yet .
    As he proclaimed so infamously in May he may have done well Snowy but his shareholders over the last 5 years would have done much better in Air NZ and are unlikely to be holding an open house with beef rendang and all the goodies any time soon!

As for those who preferred his X rated shares, I hope they still have their shirts (baju)!!

5 Year Return
    Air New Zealand Limited: 107.38%
    Airasia Group BHD: 17.04%
    AirAsia X Bhd: -74.31%

Fly Air Asia, own Air NZ or

Qantas Airways Limited: 275.80%

No wonder Buffet now owns 10% of the big 4 airlines in the US.
    Last edited by Jaa; 01-10-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added Qantas for completeness

In another life the stripey one reckoned Virgin were brilliant buying at just over 30 cents (now 22 cents years later) compared to AIR at ~ $2 and QAN at about $3 at the time from memory.

Quite probably tongue in cheek or tongue in paw
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    In another life the stripey one reckoned Virgin were brilliant buying at just over 30 cents (now 22 cents years later) compared to AIR at ~ $2 and QAN at about $3 at the time from memory.

Quite probably tongue in cheek or tongue in paw
    Your selective memory is failing you badly, doggie boy.

Here is the post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two Gloves View Post
    I to enjoy a variety of posts positive or Negative and we are lucky on this thread to have some very knowledgeable people. But I wonder if someone held a gun to PT's head and said you have to invest $50K of your hard earned money in one of the following stocks (QAN, VAH or AIR) would AIR really be the third choice??

Buy MY airline

VAH is the obvious first choice, QAN definitely the second.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    VAH was at $0.245 with AIR at $2.28 and QAN at $3.14

with todays closes of $0.225, $3.035 & $5.83 respectively and including dividends the gains since then are:
    VAH -8%, AIR 79% and QAN 101%

I well flagged the subsequent Oct-16 AIR SP $1.78 as a good buy-in point and the $3.56+ exit point making a return on that trade of 110%.

I seem to recall that just as the price was peaking at $3.60 you were trying to convince us all that $4.23 was a reasonable price, where as you can only have lost money since then, and then you enthusiasm was suggesting NPBT of up to $700M for FY17, slightly off the $530M actually achieved.

Never get emotionally attached to a share and never invest in airlines.
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    As he proclaimed so infamously in May he may have done well Snowy but his shareholders over the last 5 years would have done much better in Air NZ...

5 Year Return
    Air New Zealand Limited: 107.38%
    Airasia Group BHD: 17.04%
    AirAsia X Bhd: -74.31%

Fly Air Asia, own Air NZ or

Qantas Airways Limited: 275.80%
    Tony mentioned Air NZ, really? He must have been thinking about me .

You have forgotten the dividends actual returns 1-Oct-13 to today are:
    AIR 232%,
    QAN 317%
    AirAsia - dunno, but a little better than 17%
    AirAsiaX is correct.

Fly em, don't buy em.
    om mani peme hum

LOL I was just giving your former animal iteration a poke for a bit of fun snow leopard. No need to get the claws out