sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

IMO

Captain John Nance is an expert but you know better?Of course. Its POSSIBLE and a very good subject to debate. A very good subject to think about.I know i would rather fly with an experienced pilot who has used stick and rudder and not someone who has been learning just on a simulator.

And meanwhile the shares go up 12% in 4 days and not a mention on here except one, just people arguing about pilots by people i suspect cant fly a plane themselves . But i stand to be corrected . Can we move on, .......
    Any ideas why the SP JUMPED.?.... Its beginning to sound like Facebook !
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-11-2018 at 10:36 PM.

My son has just signed for Emirates based in Dubai, flying the A380's.

They are endeavouring to employ roughly 700 new (experienced) pilots each year for the foreseeable future, that future being measured in decades. A good number are being taken from local NZ airlines. He had 14 candidates with him in Dubai for a 3 day assessment programme, and unsurprisingly, he was the only Kiwi. All of the 14 were from different countries. Wow, big unit eh? They are attracted from everywhere, but all have to meet the Emirates criteria, regardless of background experience. 4 were offered roles out the 14, but I guess some weeks they get luckier. The recruitment process rolls over each and every week, 52 weeks a year, to very exacting standards.

A figure bandied about by Emirates HR when he was there was that globally ~ 160,000 pilots will be needed over the next 8 to 10 years. I'll just put that out there for you guys to get prickly over

I'm hearing that more and more of the local routes are being crewed by Australian based pilots to cover shortages in NZ, so I presume the life is slowly being sucked out of the local talent pool. I hope something is being done about it, but don't know.

As far as I know, every wannabe pilot starts off doing 10 hours in a trainer before going solo, then proceeds through the Aero club or GA industry, getting used and abused by those outfits who might be willing to give them valuable hours in various types of planes in order to get type ratings and the 700 or so flying hours needed to even be sniffed at by commercial airlines, and thats after attaining a CPL, which takes many different formats and routes for achievement of that goal.

Simulators are predominantly used to test licensed pilots on their ability to handle emergency procedures in the particular aircraft they hold ratings for. I don't know of any pilots that learn to fly exclusively in simulators - is that out of the Boys Own Annual?

But I'll ask my son - he might know if it's true or not. I think he'll just laugh though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    And meanwhile the shares go up 12% in 4 days and not a mention on here except one, just people arguing about pilots by people i suspect cant fly a plane themselves . But i stand to be corrected . Can we move on, .......
    Any ideas why the SP JUMPED.?.... Its beginning to sound like Facebook !
    Because it went down 13% beforehand?

And sorry for perpetuating the pilot stuff, but I was typing as you posted your retort.

I did note the Lion pilot was 31 and had 6k hours flying experience. That may mean different things to different people, so I'll just leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Any ideas why the SP JUMPED.?....
    OilWeeklyOct2018.JPG
    Oil is down a lot in the last month
    (just like equities).
    Perhaps enough now to take the edge off recent oil pain for airlines.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

I wonder if the increas of pilots needed is due to retirement of an ageing group, or more planes comeing on line due to world pop. growth? Maybe a bit of both. World markets looking good today. So hopeing for an up-day all over NZX.

Advanced Member

I don't know of any pilots that learn to fly exclusively in simulators - is that out of the Boys Own Annual?

No one suggested some pilots learnt to fly exclusively in simulators, they were talking about the relatively small amount of real flying time before flight school in simulators.
    It's too much to go into here but the AF 447 crash is a tragic but interesting account of what happens when 2 pilots who were overly dependent on the use of automated flight control could not understand the aerodynamic situation the plane was in when the auto pilot suddenly disengaged due to malfunctioning & contradictory information being fed to the aircrafts computers, and in taking manual control made the situation worse. The 2 pilots then without realising it started manually giving the plane contradictory commands cancelling each other out. It was a lesson on the over dependence on automated flight control & when the computers disengaged due to the planes avionics failing & an incomplete picture of what was happening, the flying experience needed to understand which instruments to trust, which to ignore, & how to maintain the areodynamics of the plane manually.
    Like everything there is a difference between pilots, i once flew around NZ with some US Navy pilots. They described the thrill (& flying skills required) of landing jets on pitch black nights in a storm on the heaving decks of aircraft carriers in the middle of the ocean (like finding and landing a jet on a tilting postage stamp) & we pancaked down from 10,000 feet almost directly above an airport in the same way they land in airports in Afghanistan & the Middle East, (to avoid gunfire during the normal long low approach). While these levels of skills ( & operating under stress) are not required for commercial pilots, I wouldn't dismiss the notion that having years of experience like a Capt Sully' or the QF Capt Crespigny wouldn't be a huge asset in the case of an emergency. Hard to replicate decision making under incredible stress in a simulator.
    Anyway great to see AIR SP resuming more normal cruising altitude.
    Disc. holder

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    OilWeeklyOct2018.JPG
    Oil is down a lot in the last month
    (just like equities).
    Perhaps enough now to take the edge off recent oil pain for airlines.
    Agreed. Oil is back down now to where AIR made their assumptions regarding their FY19 forecast. This is not cause for optimism per se, but just that its looking more likely they will make that forecast now.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12152812
    I always enjoy watching a good dog fight as long as I'm not involved lol
    Actually speaking of airport biosecurity, I hope they allow plenty of cost for premium dog food for those hard working beagles.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Latest safety video out

AIR have lost the plot

Chris needs to rein some people in ...he’s losing control?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”