sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Well stated Rep.

It always amazes me the number of people that remove their shoes prior to take off. They should be on for take off and landing. That is when they are most likely to need them in anger.
    Interesting perspective, I doubt many air travellers get onto a plane thinking about their strategy for surviving a catastrophe, let alone whether their shoes are on and have leather soles! Reps post is thoroughly depressing, it puts me off flying altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Interesting perspective, I doubt many air travellers get onto a plane thinking about their strategy for surviving a catastrophe, let alone whether their shoes are on and have leather soles! Reps post is thoroughly depressing, it puts me off flying altogether.
    You could die of many things - air travel is outstandingly safe which lulls the populace into complacency. (Leather shoes - I mean leather uppers and closed toe footwear).

It's a bit like choosing to have the ACWY meningococcal vaccine (which isn't funded), I travel a lot to Queensland where the C Strain is uncommon but not unknown as there is a vaccination programme locally but if you did contract the C strain - there's about a 10% chance you will die, 20% will have permanent disabilities including renal and hepatic failure, loss of fingers, toes and limbs.

If you did stay at home, the W strain has been identified in 24 cases in New Zealand alone this year and had a 25% fatality rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    You could die of many things - air travel is outstandingly safe which lulls the populace into complacency. (Leather shoes - I mean leather uppers and closed toe footwear).

It's a bit like choosing to have the ACWY meningococcal vaccine (which isn't funded), I travel a lot to Queensland where the C Strain is uncommon but not unknown as there is a vaccination programme locally but if you did contract the C strain - there's about a 10% chance you will die, 20% will have permanent disabilities including renal and hepatic failure, loss of fingers, toes and limbs.

If you did stay at home, the W strain has been identified in 24 cases in New Zealand alone this year and had a 25% fatality rate.
    Spot on, there's so many more important things to concern one self with https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ath-risk-guide
    Just 2% of deaths are transport related which means people's concerns should be focused on more appropriate area's such as their health but seeing as we're talking about transport risk it is interesting to note that per mile travelled one is 100 times more likely to die in a car accident...perhaps food for thought for those that can comfortably afford a current model 5 star safety rated vehicle but choose not too for reasons best known to themselves ? As for travelling long distances on a motorcycle...Hmmmm...
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    This video does not do what it's intended purpose is. I am sure a majority of the passengers over 40 will not even be able to understand what is actually being conveyed. Bit sloppy. I do not have a problem with it personally but I dare say a lot of their intended audience will not even know what is being said and thus they will not get the message.
    That said, they need to stop the safety briefings/videos on flights full stop. No one listens, no one pays attention, and if your plane slams into the ocean or a mountainside, no amount of oxygen, crouching and covering your face, knowing where the nearest exit is, is going to help.
    So true blackcap. AIR has gone too far with this one. I only realised it was a safety video when they were trying (pathetically) to put on their seatbelts. This video has nothing to do with safety and they've become totally sales focused with complete disregard for safety. Very sad. Up your game AIR
    Last edited by iceman; 07-11-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Spot on, there's so many more important things to concern one self with https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ath-risk-guide
    Just 2% of deaths are transport related which means people's concerns should be focused on more appropriate area's such as their health but seeing as we're talking about transport risk it is interesting to note that per mile travelled one is 100 times more likely to die in a car accident...perhaps food for thought for those that can comfortably afford a current model 5 star safety rated vehicle but choose not too for reasons best known to themselves ? As for travelling long distances on a motorcycle...Hmmmm...
    Beagle it is great that such a small percentage of "deaths" is transport related. The industry I work in, has managed to reduce "deaths" by about 90% in the last 20 years. All due to more awareness, better technology and better responses. Just like transport. Turning it into a joke like AIR is with this video is a backward step and not the way to go.
    Last edited by iceman; 07-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Beagle it is great that such a small percentage of "deaths" is transport related. The industry I work in, has managed to reduce "deaths" by about 90% in the last 20 years. All due to more awareness, better technology and better responses. Just like transport. Turning it into a joke like AIR is with this video is a backward step and not the way to go.
    AIR for quite a while now have been trying to make entertaining safety video's as a point of difference. We've all seen the safety aspects over and over again, you either know what to do in a crisis or you panic and don't. Might as well keep them entertaining in my opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Heaps more punters would rather watch Nickelback according to this poll

https://twitter.com/stevebiddle/stat...00726954979328
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

Ludicrous poll for entertainment purposes for people with time to waste imo.
    AIR have done a great job with this one.Im 60 plus and i got it, lol.
    AIR know that most people tune out to their safety vids and also think they are never going to die or are fatalistic ,regular lotto buyers lol etc .So using humour is a great way to get the message across and make things stick. Advertisers know this and good teachers do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    AIR know that most people tune out to their safety vids and also think they are never going to die or are fatalistic ,regular lotto buyers lol etc .So using humour is a great way to get the message across and make things stick. Advertisers know this and good teachers do too.
    +1, couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I’m over 60 as well but got the Nickelback bit ..lol
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”