sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Could make a start by stop making those stupid (or are they cringeworthy) expensive safety videos

Good to see them saving their way to prosperity ...shareholders should be happy

But oil is heading into the $40s so doubly rewarding for AIR
    Last edited by winner69; 28-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

I see Chris Luxton want to cut $30M from costs. Should be able to save at least $1M by going back to simple, brief, no frills straightforward safety videos which don't irritate half the pax & everyone can understand (esp hearing impaired, English second language etc)
    Just a little anecdote, I remember years ago (when US airlines served something resembling meals) a large US airline CEO needing to cut costs, incentivised staff for helpful suggestions. One of the cabin crew noticed when the food trays were collected back off the pax, 90% of them left the little black olives untouched. The airline management found out it was spending almost $1M a year on those olives which largely were ignored & thrown away, so immediately saved $1M without any impact on pax. Times & tastes have changed & I love olives (though not keen on those old small tasteless ones), but a story on how staff can often see things senior management might overlook.

Guru

While it was announced yesterday I would suggest that these savings were started a few months ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp

28 November not AIR's lucky day is it !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

not much new there , in fact it sounds familiar from when i was there in the 90's - attacking staff travel a particularly old chestnut. It used to be only empty seats were available for staff travel. That costs next to nothing.

And they were also going to save millions by plugging in their planes at the hangar - sometimes with all these projected savings it makes you wonder how they were ever making any money.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

No wonder AIR is Kiwi's favorite employer. ~ $1.3b wages bill for 11,000 staff that's an ~ $118,000 average !

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    No wonder AIR is Kiwi's favorite employer. ~ $1.3b wages bill for 11,000 staff that's an ~ $118,000 average !
    I suspect long hours and travel allowances might explain some of that ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I suspect long hours and travel allowances might explain some of that ...
    6 weeks annual leave, annual bonus's and free travel perks on the other side of the ledger not too shabby either. If one gets into the elite inner circle they even get an electric car to drive...not sure if that's a bonus or not lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Must be an excess of Troughers then if the average is 118k, compare that to the village manager of a large retirement village like RYM with 400 residents and 150 staff to look after plus all the relatives to deal with, all that for 100k salary.Lol