sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Yes Arthur, this is my understanding too - AirNZ offset looks very cheap to me, but we do always opt in to it. Flying from Christchurch to Auckland next month and it was something like $10 offset for the whole family. Doesn't seem right. We will offset elsewhere as well to keep our conscience clean. Its a pity AirNZ don't offer some other mechanism for customers to get involved in offsetting or carbon activism more proactively - it is the kind of thing that with their scale, market share and infrastructure they could readily put a foot forward and lead the industry both regionally and globally. Anyway, I'll get off my high (also carbon-emitting) horse!

And thanks Beagle for the welcome.
    You can opt in to buy extra carbon offset. My environmentally conscious son won a scholarship that sent him to Europe for a month. The organisation booked him to fly an airline that did not give a carbon offset option, so we paid for them on the AirNZ website instead.
    https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/loya...issions-offset

Advanced Member

Bought into AIR couple of weeks ago for the div. The share price seems to be holding up fairly well today, maybe because the yield is 7.80%, might keep them a bit longer at that rate.

On the radio the other day there was a good interview with some guru taking about Board governance etc. can’t remember who

One point he made is that most Board members are pretty slack at talking to senior management and high flyers and this comment was in the context of ‘assessing’ who would make a great CEO (if developed for the job)

He also went on that most Boards are pretty slack in succession planning and then find that Hey panic when the CEO leaves.

I’d say AIR wouldn’t rate very highly with this guy. No permanent replacement for Luxon ...hmm. He nearly left a few years ago (rumour) to join Fonterra but a multi million stay on package fixed that. Luxon seemed bored lately and for some time there has been rumours about him moving on and/or politics being his future.

Has AIR Board been asleep at the wheel?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

About time someone in the airline industry calls a spade a spade. It is concerning how unreliable new planes and engines have become in the last 2-4 years and not surprising the World's largest airline has had enough.
    Also Norwegian, with its large fleet of Dreamliners and MAX, fighting to stave off bankruptcy with emergency negotiations with bondholders after being very badly effected by the MAX issues on top of already big losses.

Tough situation for the industry https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12265134

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    On the radio the other day there was a good interview with some guru taking about Board governance etc. can’t remember who

One point he made is that most Board members are pretty slack at talking to senior management and high flyers and this comment was in the context of ‘assessing’ who would make a great CEO (if developed for the job)

He also went on that most Boards are pretty slack in succession planning and then find that Hey panic when the CEO leaves.

I’d say AIR wouldn’t rate very highly with this guy. No permanent replacement for Luxon ...hmm. He nearly left a few years ago (rumour) to join Fonterra but a multi million stay on package fixed that. Luxon seemed bored lately and for some time there has been rumours about him moving on and/or politics being his future.

Has AIR Board been asleep at the wheel?
    Re: Luxon, I hear what you're saying, but there aren't many more prestigious jobs in NZ than CEO of Air NZ... if he's been bored in that role there aren't many steps up unless he's headed to the US or the UK, or he thinks he's going to walk in to politics as the PM. The grass is always greener...

Re: The Board, I doubt they haven't been thinking succession planning, but maybe no one they'd been grooming internally has stepped up enough and now they need to cast the net wider. Its a massively important decision for the business so would rather they take their time and get the decision right.

Air NZ's surprise ambush on Auckland airport and why travellers could win

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...lers-could-win

luxon got good vision , auckland will need a second airport in the future better to do it now ( well should have been done before all the housing was built but NZ leaders have typically never had much vision maybe except robbie and his trams or rail was it). auckland airport will never service 3 million people let alone the roads to the airport.
    one step ahead of the herd

Herbacious

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

luxon got good vision , auckland will need a second airport in the future better to do it now ( well should have been done before all the housing was built but NZ leaders have typically never had much vision maybe except robbie and his trams or rail was it). auckland airport will never service 3 million people let alone the roads to the airport.
    Doesn't Sydney airport service about 4.5m? All the time the council owns a big chunk of AIA I can't see them letting it happen and it would be electoral suicide for most politicians I'd have thought, West Auckland and the North Shore would both be dead against being under the flight plan of a Whenuapai commercial airport. I used to live in Beach Haven just over the water from Whenuapai and the community would quite regularly get up in arms about the RNZAF doing their night training etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mondograss View Post
    Doesn't Sydney airport service about 4.5m? All the time the council owns a big chunk of AIA I can't see them letting it happen and it would be electoral suicide for most politicians I'd have thought, West Auckland and the North Shore would both be dead against being under the flight plan of a Whenuapai commercial airport. I used to live in Beach Haven just over the water from Whenuapai and the community would quite regularly get up in arms about the RNZAF doing their night training etc.
    the driving time from the shore to the airport is over an hour most of the time . thats the issue would be much quicker to drive up the road to whenuapai. your right about no one wants anything in there backyard human nature. thats why its a shame not many politicians have vision.
    one step ahead of the herd

Herbacious

the driving time from the shore to the airport is over an hour most of the time . thats the issue would be much quicker to drive up the road to whenuapai. your right about no one wants anything in there backyard human nature. thats why its a shame not many politicians have vision.
    True, I always used to allow an hour to get there when I was on the Shore, but at the same time the communities that would get quicker access to the airport are the very same communities that would be so negatively impacted by having it there. Can't have it both ways.

If you were going to put a second airport to the north you'd be better off to develop the North Shore Airport at Dairy Flat. You've got SH1 just east of it and the Dairy Flat highway on the west side. Just need to develop the Coatesville-Riverhead highway between Dairy Flat and SH16 and you'd open up that whole North-West area for growth.

Outside thinking.

If the new terminus is limited to Domestic flights it's going to be a long walk between the existing International Terminus and the new Domestic Terminus. How's that going to work?