sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Should keep the wolf from the door for a few years. Former Air NZ boss Christopher Luxon issued rights worth nearly $2m.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12280705
    Might need it. Taking a decent paycut to go into politics (if successful)

Advanced Member

"Concerning flights and aircraft, it really come down to the configuration by the airline rather than the aircraft".

Raz just in case you're not aware, the Dreamliner is a big advance, carbon composite plane (rather than traditional aluminium) meaning its lighter & stronger kg for kg.
    It allows the cabin pressure to be kept at around 6000 ft altitude, about 2000 ft lower than on other planes, and the humidity level is kept at a more comfortable level for pax (because water is extra weight on a plane & corrodes aluminium) so much reduces passenger fatigue, dry eyes & nose, headaches etc. Also the extra strong carbon composite allows the cabin windows to be about 30% larger so much nicer looking out at the view.
    There certainly is quite a difference in terms of passenger comfort matching like for like configuration.
    Lighter weight also better economics for the airline.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 30-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    "Concerning flights and aircraft, it really come down to the configuration by the airline rather than the aircraft".

Raz just in case you're not aware, the Dreamliner is a big advance, carbon composite plane (rather than traditional aluminium) meaning its lighter & stronger kg for kg.
    It allows the cabin pressure to be kept at around 6000 ft altitude, about 2000 ft lower than on other planes, and the humidity level is kept at a more comfortable level for pax (because water is extra weight on a plane & corrodes aluminium) so much reduces passenger fatigue, dry eyes & nose, headaches etc. Also the extra strong carbon composite allows the cabin windows to be about 30% larger so much nicer looking out at the view.
    There certainly is quite a difference in terms of passenger comfort matching like for like configuration.
    The way the crew use the master control on those Dreamliner windows piss me off .....must keep the light out of the cabin ....couldn’t see the Gobi Desert when I wanted to and heck the most beautiful things you can look at is a sunrise / sunset

Suppose easier for crews these days than them getting pissed off when the likes of me upped the blinds to see sunrises and things.

And that humidity thing is a con I reckon.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Totally agree with you there winner. I love looking out of the windows. If and when the crew do that it is annoying. If the sun is coming up, well its wake up time as far as I am concerned. As for the humidity, I notice no difference between the dreamliners and the A380's or even the Boeing 747's from distant memory. But I do drink plenty and make sure I stay hydrated so that might help.

Smile Humid vs Dry Air

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

'because water is extra weight on a plane' Just a small point, but I'm not sure this is correct. Humid air is lighter than dry air (which is why the clouds are in the sky and not on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Totally agree with you there winner. I love looking out of the windows. If and when the crew do that it is annoying. If the sun is coming up, well its wake up time as far as I am concerned. As for the humidity, I notice no difference between the dreamliners and the A380's or even the Boeing 747's from distant memory. But I do drink plenty and make sure I stay hydrated so that might help.
    A380's carbon composite too and effective altitude is just 5,000 ft so they're even kinder on the body and speaking of kinder, back in the day the 747 seats even in economy had decent width and pitch and room to breathe...before they started squeezing everyone in like sardines so that's probably why you felt comfortable on them.
    I reckon so called premium economy these days is a rort. Less room than standard economy 10 years ago.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I reckon so called premium economy these days is a rort. Less room than standard economy 10 years ago.
    But certainly better than standard economy these days.
    10 years ago it cost more (relative) to fly so if you pay the same relative money you can get back to 'the good old days'.

What's getting my goat up is trying to get a flight back from Vancouver in July next year. AIR was C$1300 (NZ$1550) whereas as part of a return flight it would be NZ$950 - that's a rort.
    I can't work out a way around it yet.

One thing I found is my body size is growing much quicker than the airline seats... Maybe this is the true reason the seat is getting smaller on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    But certainly better than standard economy these days.
    10 years ago it cost more (relative) to fly so if you pay the same relative money you can get back to 'the good old days'.

What's getting my goat up is trying to get a flight back from Vancouver in July next year. AIR was C$1300 (NZ$1550) whereas as part of a return flight it would be NZ$950 - that's a rort.
    I can't work out a way around it yet.
    Via Hawaii ?

Quote Originally Posted by 44wishlists View Post
    One thing I found is my body size is growing much quicker than the airline seats... Maybe this is the true reason the seat is getting smaller on me.
    LOL, no they're shrinking both the pitch and seat width. Seat width a key bug bear of mine as it used to be 18.5 inches and now about 17. Makes a huge difference if you butt is 18.5 inches when seated lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Via Hawaii ?
    I'd rather pay the right price than be robbed or go elsewhere