sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

Crude oil is so low...but flights are all canceled....airport will be impacted...as well as AIR, ..hotels... tourism... hospitality. mainfreight n freighway will be the winner of low oil... especially the petrol price will go down as the government cracking it down

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    And there you have it, some people can postpone flights others can't but a few weeks from now will fly as life moves on. Probably lockdown will lift in 10-15 days after incubation periods over and life returns to normal. Seen on net recently 50K people die from the flu yearly how does that compare to coronavirus ?

We will find out the answer in a few weeks time I suppose.
    2/100 coronavirus versus 1/1000 flu ?

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp

Volunteers are very brave souls. I hope that plane is thoroughly decontaminated upon return before being put back into regular service.

I wouldn't fly anywhere at present, not even domestically. Surely I am not the only person that's risk averse and there will be a material decline in travel right throughout AIR's network. That's how I see it anyway...
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Volunteers are very brave souls. I hope that plane is thoroughly decontaminated upon return before being put back into regular service.

I wouldn't fly anywhere at present, not even domestically. Surely I am not the only person that's risk averse and there will be a material decline in travel right throughout AIR's network. That's how I see it anyway...
    I'm not flying and will just accept the hit on a trip to Sydney mid-Feb with family for a concert. Everything does suggest this is a serious virus from the outset and nothing has mitigated that to date.

Noticed on a domestic flight in December coffee dripping off the tray table, I think cost cutting has result in a cut back on cleaning between flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

With all due respect ... but I think your reaction is a bit over the top.

Based on all we know is this nothing worse than one of the not so pleasant flu strains, and there are most years some new strains (without a vaccine for the new strain) around without people stopping to use planes. And yes - people do die from the flu ... depending on how you count (most flu victims do have preconditions) between 56,000 and 500,000 per year.

Compare that to the 170 or so people who died so far from the Wuhan virus (and yes, most of them had as well preexisting conditions and have been old and weak).

Of course - everybody is absolutely in their right to decide whether they want to board a plane or not ... but I don't think there is a need to repeat in various threads posts describing an in my view quite irrational fear. This clearly won't help anybody (well, maybe the shorters).

Expect though that AIR might go down a bit - and the bottom will be as well a function of peoples hyped up fears.
    While interested in picking up some cheap AIR shares at the bottom of this cycle, it wouldn't feel right to hype up the fear just to pick up the shares a bit cheaper ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

IMO

AIR reducing flights to Shanghai from 7 to 4 weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    With all due respect ... but I think your reaction is a bit over the top.

Based on all we know is this nothing worse than one of the not so pleasant flu strains, and there are most years some new strains (without a vaccine for the new strain) around without people stopping to use planes. And yes - people do die from the flu ... depending on how you count (most flu victims do have preconditions) between 56,000 and 500,000 per year.

Compare that to the 170 or so people who died so far from the Wuhan virus (and yes, most of them had as well preexisting conditions and have been old and weak).

Of course - everybody is absolutely in their right to decide whether they want to board a plane or not ... but I don't think there is a need to repeat in various threads posts describing an in my view quite irrational fear. This clearly won't help anybody (well, maybe the shorters).

Expect though that AIR might go down a bit - and the bottom will be as well a function of peoples hyped up fears.
    While interested in picking up some cheap AIR shares at the bottom of this cycle, it wouldn't feel right to hype up the fear just to pick up the shares a bit cheaper ...

Well Said and totally agree just plain scaremongering .............

Broad spectrum of opinion on how serious this gets BP. I share Raz's concern that cleaning is not as good as it used to be. The Beagle clan don't need to travel for any reason so for us its just a simple choice of delaying any travel plans. Just highlighting that air travel does involve very close confinement with a lot of other passengers where you all share each others recirculated exhaled air. How often do they change the aircraft's recirculation air filters and will they filter out the coronavirus ?

How many people have you talked to who after a long haul flight come down with some new flu ? (I hear this talked about frequently). Spending long hours inside an aircraft confined with potentially hundreds of other passengers is a very unhealthy environment in normal times. These are anything but normal times...just saying...

I am surprised the shares are not < $2.50 and surprised AIR hasn't cancelled direct flights to China already.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    AIR reducing flights to Shanghai from 7 to 4 weekly.
    That's just a business decision based on reduced loads. Shame on them for not doing the right thing and protecting all Kiwi's from the risk like MANY other airlines in the world are doing.
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-01-2020 at 12:48 PM.

American Airline pilots just sued American Airline, they want to stop flying to China

https://us.cnn.com/2020/01/30/busine...rus/index.html