sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    In that case he is just the right person to lead the National party..........lol
    ......agree there percy

There was a piece in the paper on Luxon the other day ....covered a lot of things but one thing missing was his vision for NZ ....didn’t have a vision for AIR either
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Cabin service in AIRplanes should be improving ... a young Luxon apparently is now one of them.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Cabin service in AIRplanes should be improving ... a young Luxon apparently is now one of them.
    Well he can enjoy the upgraded Koru lounges he was responsible for,and I certainly take my hat off to him for getting AIR out of Virgin.
    The big profits are the business travelers Luxon went after.

Well he can enjoy the upgraded Koru lounges he was responsible for,and I certainly take my hat off to him for getting AIR out of Virgin.
    Yes he did very well in that regard. Some of his environmental and sustainability mumbo jumbo though
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Wonder whether he would work with Winston.?...........................lol.

I think you will find they had a captive market for this in little old New Zealand already...

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I think history will show Luxon wasn’t all that great at Air NZ

Might have achieved record profits early on but that was more luck with fuel prices than good management.....and most of the increased profits fell away and his final year wasn’t that much better than his first year.

I get the impression he just let things drift along
    I agree. I think he heavily incentivised his executive and management and then looked the other way.
    He certainly inherited an airline with a very strong profit base and culture set up by Fyfe then milked it.
    Both have deteriorated.
    An indication of his Regard for Air NZ was the way he walked away to immediately pursue his own interests. No gradual handover like he enjoyed when appointed and it left the company in limbo for months.
    A window on how he will be as a politician. No different from the rest, but having a hard, right wing, conservative agenda, heavily influenced by his Christian ‘faith’ and personal aspirations.
    A man to be wary of.

All only in my opinion of course.
    Last edited by biker; 11-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    I agree. I think he heavily incentivised his executive and management and then looked the other way.
    He certainly inherited an airline with a very strong profit base and culture set up by Fyfe then milked it.
    Both have deteriorated.
    An indication of his Regard for Air NZ was the way he walked away to immediately pursue his own interests. No gradual handover like he enjoyed when appointed and it left the company in limbo for months.
    A window on how he will be as a politician. No different from the rest, but having a hard, right wing, conservative agenda, heavily influenced by his Christian ‘faith’ and personal aspirations.
    A man to be wary of.

he got for staying on when rumours were flying around a couple of years ago that he was going to Fonterra

Chairman Carter was sucked in.
    Last edited by winner69; 11-02-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Shareholders rejoice at the rumour AIR call centre going to Phillipines to save money

Customers probably lament the move fearing worse service

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    Both have deteriorated.
    A man to be wary of.

I agree with you.

Luxon added so very little to Air NZ - and he never hid his self proclaimed 'socially conservative' views from the comapny and he did in fact allow them to blur his decision making. He was solely responsible for the cessation of the popular PINK Flight to Sydney. It's not my cup of tea but it MADE MONEY and garnered a truckload of free press every year.

Luxon just proves that a well spoken white man in suit will suck every schmuk in.

Fyfe did the hard yards and created a real drive forward engaged workforce - all Luxon did was dismantle it and run the business down to deliver maximum shareholder return in the short term all the while delivering progressively lower and lower profits.

Dont overlook that at the same time the board upped the short term incentive plan - largely based on share price numbers the business was having some $50 gutted from it. It was not overly bloated and all that seemed to happen was the same old story. The 10 workers in a department were told they were now 6 and to just deal with it.

Don't forget that under this caring Christians' watch full time low paying jobs like aircraft loaders and airport check in people suddenly became part time full time jobs - still low paid only just now the day was split into 2 with an idle 3 -4 hours in between shifts. It goes on and on.

Luxon was a smooth talking well presented man of little substance in my view (I have met him many times and know his reasonably well), he bolted when Key assured him now was the time to jump into the NATS.

If you are a hard right religious type then this guy is your man. Pity the rest of us.

I have way better feeling for Foran as a leader - early indications bode well for his people skills, time will tell.