sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    That's so true & such a significant distinction between AIR and the US airlines (& many other airlines around the world).
    As a quirk of geography, the govt & NZ tourism would never allow us to become solely dependent on foreign carriers, we need a strong national airline to support our economy.
    True that. Luxon's key clich้ was supercharging the economy...suppose Foran can't use that so will revert to something like "turbocharging the economy"
    Good that turbochargers generally run at much higher boost pressure than superchargers as I think the economy is going to need that.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Let's not get too carried away.
    AIR have always had promotional fares but they are not slashing all domestic fares across the board as it appears you imply.

If you want to travel to Wellington tomorrow & need to be at the office for 8.30am meeting, the Flexidate fare is going to cost you either $309 or $406 one way.
    If you want to fly down after work for the weekend, the fares are $448 or $490 OW for flights departing at 4.30p, 5.30p & 7p.
    That's hardly a slashed fare.

Members of my family fly Auckland Wellington return every week for work & tbh the fares don't look much different now than late last year & flights still full.

Of course there's going to be an impact but some of the comments here are a bit careless & over enthusiastic.
    Agree, have seen no real discounting with AIR, sale price fares are similar to last year..its other airlines looking at discounting, Qantas special fares in some cases 10% lower than last year...look at asia and middle east and then you see some real discounting.

FTR
    Closed the short , a nice trade thanks Beagle for the suggestion.
    And while I don't like airlines I must admit though I dont like to hold short positions too long either. Despite what Jesse Livermore said.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

You're welcome peat. I took notes when you sold some SUM at ~ $9 and appreciate your post even if I didn't agree with it at the time

I continue to believe this is an excellent stock to short in the short term.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    FTR
    Closed the short , a nice trade thanks Beagle for the suggestion.
    And while I don't like airlines I must admit though I dont like to hold short positions too long either. Despite what Jesse Livermore said.
    Do you mind me asking what mechanism/provider you use to short on NZX?

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Do you mind me asking what mechanism/provider you use to short on NZX?
    Its no secret so I'll post it - I use CMC Markets who provde CFD's Contracts for Difference on a large number of international securities.
    And though I get utility from their service it is worth commenting that two respected posters here have not been happy with them.
    DYOR on both CMC and CFD's
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Aviation commentator Grant Bradley talks about this virus having a "9/11 type event", effect on demand
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12311618

Let's not get too carried away.
    AIR have always had promotional fares but they are not slashing all domestic fares across the board as it appears you imply.

If you want to travel to Wellington tomorrow & need to be at the office for 8.30am meeting, the Flexidate fare is going to cost you either $309 or $406 one way.
    If you want to fly down after work for the weekend, the fares are $448 or $490 OW for flights departing at 4.30p, 5.30p & 7p.
    That's hardly a slashed fare.

Members of my family fly Auckland Wellington return every week for work & tbh the fares don't look much different now than late last year & flights still full.

Of course there's going to be an impact but some of the comments here are a bit careless & over enthusiastic.
    Fair comment, i am easily excited! Still think its in for a rough ride

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Fair comment, i am easily excited! Still think its in for a rough ride
    Anyone still riding this bird should definitely have their seat belts firmly fastened, be expecting extreme turbulence and have their sick bag in hand !

What’s the cost of putting a chunk of your fleet in cotton wool and not flying them cause no passengers
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”